: Converting selected CMYK text to a spot colour

Morley
Dec 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM
My client has supplied a huge Photoshop file all in CMYK. Now they want selected text to print in a 5th ink. I've created a new channel and given it a pantone number. But I'm confused on how to assign selected text elements to the new channel.

It seems to me this should be a simple re-assignment, shouldn't involve cutting and pasting, etc. The tools for making a re-assignment just don't seem to be there.

Assistance appreciated.

ColBalt
Dec 16th, 2005, 04:39 PM
My client has supplied a huge Photoshop file all in CMYK. Now they want selected text to print in a 5th ink. I've created a new channel and given it a pantone number. But I'm confused on how to assign selected text elements to the new channel.

It seems to me this should be a simple re-assignment, shouldn't involve cutting and pasting, etc. The tools for making a re-assignment just don't seem to be there.

Assistance appreciated.
As long as there are no Photoshop effects, the easiest method is to place the images in Quark/InDesign then place the copy on top in a spot colour.

re:load
Dec 20th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Make the selection a text in the CMYK channels then click on the 5th channel and hit +DELETE to fill it in. Make sure you've set your foreground/background to default first (hit the letter D). If you hide all channels but the special, it should be black and white with the black part being the text and the white the uncoloured area.

funkdoobi
Dec 20th, 2005, 06:59 AM
you should first ask yourself why you're doing anything text related in photoshop

unless it heavy photoshop affected text (manipulations and the sort), you shouldn't be doing text in PS

stick to illustrator or design/quark

elmer
Dec 20th, 2005, 08:57 AM
you should first ask yourself why you're doing anything text related in photoshop

unless it heavy photoshop affected text (manipulations and the sort), you shouldn't be doing text in PS

stick to illustrator or design/quark
Excuse me, but when was the last time you tried doing text in Photoshop CS2? IMHO, there's plenty of cases where it should do just fine.

atFault
Dec 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Excuse me, but when was the last time you tried doing text in Photoshop CS2? IMHO, there's plenty of cases where it should do just fine.

But not where you are over your head dealing with spot colours where InDesign or Illustrator would do the job faster and easier.

Photoshop is really not the place for doing this kind of work if you have access to other tools that are much better suited to the task.