: Getting cable on Friday

MissGulch
Dec 14th, 2005, 08:12 AM
After two aborted attempts to use DSL I finally broke down and ordered cable. At the moment I am dialing in with an ISP's proprietary software, and have never been able to use the internet while in the Windows environment via Virtual PC.

Will I be able to use the internet in the Windows environment via cable/Ethernet connection? What do I need to know to attempt this? There are particular softwares and sites I wish to use that are for Windoze only. :(

Anyway, around here Verizon (the local telco) is pushing FIOS -- fiber optic lines -- that is spreading and actively challenging cable's dominance. It's possible now to negotiate with the cable company for a better deal because they don't want to lose you.

It's also kind of ironic that Verizon is expanding their FIOS network, while neglecting the core of their business: the copper phone lines that carry DSL. The lines are very bad here, like it must have been like in Europe after the war.

The cable will be costing me $29.95US a month. Not bad, eh? ;)

winwintoo
Dec 14th, 2005, 08:24 AM
If your Mac can connect to the internet, then VirtualPC is connected too and you should be able to surf to your hearts content on the PC side. Just be aware that virii can infect VirtualPC the same as they do any Windows only computer.

Other, more knowledgeable folks will pop in here and tell you more about how to protect yourself from infections on VPC - I avoid surfing using VPC for that reason.

I'm curious what sites are "Windows only" - I haven't come across any and I surf a lot.

Take care, Margaret

Jestered
Dec 14th, 2005, 10:38 AM
That is correct. If the mac is on the internet then VPC should also be able to get on. It is not an issue with DSL or cable or whatever. The only reason that VPC would not get internet and the Mac would is if you have turned off the internet sharing in the VPC settings. There is a setting that says something like, "share Mac internet connection with VPC" or something like that. You don't have to go into the windows environment and setup anything.

MACSPECTRUM
Dec 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I am just sitting here pining for the days when I was able to have cable.