: My iMac goes to sleep randomly ... ?

StephP
Dec 12th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I got my 17" iMac about 2 months ago and within the last week or so, the screen (and I presume it is going to sleep) keeps going off at random times when I'm using it. If I move the mouse around or type on the keyboard, nothing happens. So I have to press the Power button off and then on. It comes back on to the same screen, but, for example, it has to reconnect to the Internet, have to sign back into MSN, etc.

In energy saver, I have it set to never put the computer to sleep and to turn the display off after 15 minutes.

Any suggestions?

markoon
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:55 PM
i havn't had this problem on mine but I have my energy saver to never put it to sleep and never put the screen saver on. I'll put the screen saver on myself when not using it, or let it sleep manually. Worth a shot.

monokitty
Dec 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Try zapping the PRAM (twice) by holding down the Command+Option+R+P keys on startup. Reset the hardware in Open Firmware (OF): Hold down Command+Option+O+F; once in the OF screen, type:

reset-nvram (hit return)
reset-all (hit return)

The unit will restart.

rampart519
Dec 22nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Did this work for you? I too am having a simliar trouble. Every now and then I can't wake my computer from the screensaver with my wireless mouse and keyboard. I really don't want to turn the screensaver option off. I have tried zapping the pram but I could not find OP to try the other option