: 17%

TMLs
Dec 7th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Hi

This was advised to all RBC Royal Bank employees today.

If you are an employee of RBC Royal Bank, then you are entitled to a 17% employee discount at Apple.

TMLs:)

andreww
Dec 7th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I find that very hard to believe.

UnleashedLive
Dec 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Hi

This was advised to all RBC Royal Bank employees today.

If you are an employee of RBC Royal Bank, then you are entitled to a 17% employee discount at Apple.

TMLs:)

Why?

andreww
Dec 7th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Especially considering 17% is probably more than a retailers mark-up. I buy tons of mac stuff and am a valued customer. I've never managed to get more than 5% on apple products.

Craigger
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:05 PM
if this is indeed true, im seeling my 12 inch NOW, giving my mom what i get for it, and paying her the difference for a new 15 or mabey a 17 inch

TMLs
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:14 PM
I find that very hard to believe.

It really does not matter to me what you believe.

Maybe I am wrong in what I stated and if I am, I apologize, but who knows. I am just stating the contents of the email I received today. I checked out the internal link and the prices are lower, but what do I know. except that I will enjoy the discount.

TMLs
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:22 PM
I just did a thorough check and the RBC Employee discount varies depending on the product. Still it is a discount.

ehMax
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:24 PM
The contents of your email were incorrect. They indeed probably get a discount like a few large companies do, but its no where near 17%. The standard fair is about 6%. A $1999 iMac will go for about $1880. Usually not quite as good as ed pricing.

On some things like 5G iPods, its only $10-$20.

I could be wrong, but I'm not. :)

enaj
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I won't mention my company's name, but we get 8%.
Sweet deal...though I bought my pb right here on good old ehmac!!

miguelsanchez
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:28 PM
ATI employees also supposedly get a pretty good discount. The number I was told was 15% but I'm not sure on what products. The reason is that ATI is a supplier to Apple.

ehMax
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:30 PM
ATI employees also supposedly get a pretty good discount. The number I was told was 15% but I'm not sure on what products. The reason is that ATI is a supplier to Apple.

Nope... same deal as I mentioned above.

miguelsanchez
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Oh well, just passing along what I was told by an ATI employee.

Guess he was wrong.

Thanks for the clarification.

teeterboy3
Dec 7th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I get that very discount. For a different company. It's called the Employee Purchase Program (EPP). Saved some money on my Nano.

Coincidentally all the prices on Black Friday were the same on that site as the price in the regular Apple Canada store.

HowEver
Dec 7th, 2005, 09:16 PM

teeterboy3
Dec 7th, 2005, 09:26 PM
It claims you can get up tp 17% but discounts vary depending on the item. On what I have shopped around the savings aren't near that. They even suggest that you price compare with Best Buy, Future Shop - that you can save more there on big ticket items.

I got like maybe 5% off on my Nano.

mikehole
Dec 7th, 2005, 10:01 PM
i was wondering, is all 15% tax applied on to the products with education discount?

UnleashedLive
Dec 7th, 2005, 10:28 PM
i was wondering, is all 15% tax applied on to the products with education discount?

Yes.

CanadaRAM
Dec 7th, 2005, 11:40 PM
The key is "Up to XX%". It's easy for Apple to offer 17% off a Belkin cable they sell for $29 that actually costs $8 wholesale. That then makes the Up to 17% statement correct.

But the consumer Macs won't be anywhere near that level of discount. Your local Mac dealer gets a wholesale price from Apple on the best selling machines that is approximately 3% - 5% under the Apple Store.ca price. So you may see $100 off a 1600 iMac, but not 17%.

Any deep discounts on Mac machines will be as a result of the employer company subsidizing the price either with money or with a committment to a high volume of machines to Apple (like big school districts do).

DoNotPokeTheScreen
Dec 8th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Interesting thing I found out is that Bestbuy doesn't make much profit on Apple computers. I find that surprising.

The cost price on their 20 inch iMacs are $190X (I can't recall the last digit, but i'm sure about the first 3). That means I get my iMac through ED is better than BestBuy gets their iMac shipments!

I find it really interesting. Basically, Macs are just there for the sake of attracting people to walk in and perhaps will make an impulse buy on other products where BestBuy will actually make money on.

CanadaRAM
Dec 8th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Interesting thing I found out is that Bestbuy doesn't make much profit on Apple computers. I find that surprising.

The cost price on their 20 inch iMacs are $190X (I can't recall the last digit, but i'm sure about the first 3). That means I get my iMac through ED is better than BestBuy gets their iMac shipments!

I find it really interesting. Basically, Macs are just there for the sake of attracting people to walk in and perhaps will make an impulse buy on other products where BestBuy will actually make money on.
Yep. $90 on a $2000 purchase is what Apple thinks a reseller is worth. Then, if you pay the bill with a charge card, MasterCard will take $40 fee from the merchant on the transaction, leaving $ 50 or about 2.5% margin.

ramsesm
Dec 8th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Oh well, just passing along what I was told by an ATI employee.

Guess he was wrong.

Thanks for the clarification.

Actually, ATI does get 15%... Most suppliers to Apple get 15%. Other companies like Sun Microsystems (where I work) get 8%, (the same as educational) on certain products and less on others. 3rd party products to Apple is 3%-4%.

ehMax
Dec 8th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Actually, ATI does get 15%... Most suppliers to Apple get 15%. Other companies like Sun Microsystems (where I work) get 8%, (the same as educational) on certain products and less on others. 3rd party products to Apple is 3%-4%.

ATI employees do NOT get a 15% discount on Apple products.

gordguide
Dec 8th, 2005, 12:32 PM
It's very dependent on the product in question.

Apple really only has 3 discount programs. The Apple Employee discount, the details I know nothing of.

There's the Developer Discount, which is pretty good, but not so easy to get; most people have to pay to become ADC members while some can get it via their jobs (ie their company pays for it).

Then there's the discount we're talking about here, and the Education discount. They're essentially the same, and that's as good as it gets for mere mortals. Discounts vary by item and range from nothing at all to possibly 17% on, I dunno, maybe AppleWorks. You're not getting 17% off on iPods or Laptops, I guarantee.