Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Webcams can get stuck pixels!?

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kloan 
#1 ·
I just picked up 3 Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Pro. (for the family to stay in touch) I've been testing out one tonight, and it actually has two stuck pixels!! Webcams can get stuck pixels?? What's this world coming to?! :D

I'm either gonna keep another one that doesn't have any stuck pixels, or I'll try to get Logitech to replace this one... they're really noticeable since the capture resolution is so small.... and they flicker and shift colour.... rrgghhhh.. first my PSP, now this...... :-(

See less See more
#2 ·
Try increasing the light in the room....a lot. I've noticed the same kind of thing on my web cam but it goes away with better lighting. It could also be some dust or dirt on your lends, make sure its clean.

Trev

#3 ·
It could be a problem with the cam or possibly driver related, but it is not a stuck pixel. Cam's don't have pixels, unless it is a real cam that has a viewable screen on it, but this is not a stuck pixel problem.

#4 ·
Actually they do. Digital cameras and webcams have sensors that capture the video information. Read more about the technology here ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ccd )

The pixels can in fact be stuck or dead, causing a pixel anomaly. Usually it is not a big deal because webcams aren't used for critically work, and Photoshop can easily fix one dead pixel among millions.

#5 · (Edited)
Yeah, you'd think it wouldn't matter too much since it's just for video chats.. but as it captures, they flicker and change colour, get bigger/smaller, etc.. it's pretty distracting. It shouldn't have it at all, so it's annoying they're there...

TrevX, I turned on a light.. and they did dissipate a lil bit, much less noticeable, but they're still there.. just a dimmer less noticable colour.

ah well... I was just surprised webcams could suffer the same horrible fate as LCDs..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.