: Is Tiger worth it???

audiodan
Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:44 AM
I have just purchased an upgrade DVD of Tiger off eBay. (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5835787267&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1) and I am wondering if it is worth the money! The guy lives in Ontario, so I will save money on shipping, but the bottom line question is, was it worth it?

iBrodie
Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Why did you buy it if you have doubts on wether its worth it or not. Why do you want Tiger? Have you checked out http://www.apple.com/ca/macosx/. Have you searched ehmac on all the other threads that have talked about Tiger?

Jestered
Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM
I say go with Tiger. Of course it does have its bugs and quarks, but no more than any other OS that has ever been released. I have found that probably 90% of the "bugs" that people complain about is not a problem with Tiger, but a user problem. I do not use system hacks and stuff like that and I do not have most of the problems that I see people complaining about. Go with Tiger especially since you already bought it.

one1step1
Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
I would do a backup before you install, and a Clean install wouldn't hurt if you want the best reliability. Upgraded versions are reliable, but I always find the clean installs a little snappier and less problematic.
Since you have an Internal and an External drive (firewire I assume..), you could just install on one of those and test it out.

DEWLine
Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
I've been sticking with Panther since I first got my iBook, as I haven't made up my mind yet. There's stuff that might be useful, but not before I make up my mind on boosting my ISP connection speed.

Vexel
Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:31 PM
Go Tiger :)

DoNotPokeTheScreen
Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:39 PM
Is it worth it? YEAAAAAAAH IT IS.

I LOVE widgets!

and other benefits would be... I'm not certain, but I always hear people say software updates for Mac optimizes the OS and everything runs faster and better. In a sense upgrading to Tiger is more than just the apps you're getting, but also an overall performance boost?

Atroz
Dec 3rd, 2005, 01:04 PM
For me, Definitely. If I didn't have Tiger, I'd have nothing. My PB came with Tiger. ;-)

audiodan
Dec 3rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
I meant, was it worth about $50 CDN?

Heart
Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:03 PM
Dec 3rd, 2005 12:22 PM
one1step1 I would do a backup before you install, and a Clean install wouldn't hurt if you want the best reliability. Upgraded versions are reliable, but I always find the clean installs a little snappier and less problematic.
Since you have an Internal and an External drive (firewire I assume..), you could just install on one of those and test it out.

https://www.ehmac.ca/image.php?u=7137&dateline=1131650853

Are you 'the' Mac Tips Daily! Podcaster?

I love the show:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=82995988

As you were....
;)

phobic
Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:06 PM
I personally believe that with the extra features and the minor speedbumps and improvements, it's worth it. On the other hand, Panther is still very useable.

TroutMaskReplica
Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:50 PM
tiger has more bells and whistles, and small UI improvements here and there. tiger is less stable than panther, and spotlight isn't as good as apple's hype. i haven't found a use for automator yet. it is also slower than panther, despite what others have said.

all things considered, i'd have to say tiger is an improvement over panther, but not a huge one. it's the UI enhancements, especially in mail (death to drawers!), that tip the balance for me.

but since you've already bought tiger, the point is moot.

kent
Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:23 PM
Having the latest OS is always a good investment. While the differences between Panther and Tiger may not be overly apparent [except for the obvious new features], it's what Apple changed/improved 'under-the-hood' that's really important. The dashboard, spotlight etc features are merely tools for marketing the software b/c just saying "has lots of under-the-hood changes" wouldn't sell many copies. I personally like the spotlight feature and think that's worth the upgrade alone ... especially with the giant HDDs we have these days.

But I have to agree with TMR [above] - the question is moot, this is the kind of research you do BEFORE you buy Tiger.

drummer
Dec 4th, 2005, 01:42 PM
good price,I just bought it at BB for $150 + tax.
I did'nt realize it was DVD, now I will have to buy a DVD burner !

ArtificiaLard
Dec 4th, 2005, 03:27 PM
This is a problem a lot of people have run into - there are other ways to install Tiger without a DVD-ROM the easiest being to mount the Mac being upgraded as a FireWire Target Disk on another Mac with a DVD drive... The installer will let you choose your mounted drive as a destination.

Of course that requires you have access to another Mac with DVD...

HowEver
Dec 4th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Macaholic
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Although Panther was awesome, it for the most part doesn't hurt to go Tiger. I do find Spotlight to be more of a hassle than its worth, however. Spotlight makes searching slower, but overall optimizations make Tiger faster on my Mac than Panther was. I'm FINALLY over 140.00 on Xbench.

The best, easiest way to upgrade from Panther is to do an "Archive and Install" optional installation. This preserves all of your user account files and information, network configurations, etc., while giving you a fresh new OS X install. Doing just an upgrade has been known to cause instability, and doing a clean install of a brand new system becomes labour intensive.

gnatsum
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:06 PM
i have actually found tiger making machines slower.

and you can have widgets on panther...

mr.steevo
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Hi,

I have widgets on Jaguar.

s.