: G3 Woes

phobic
Dec 2nd, 2005, 10:36 PM
Okay, I've all but given up on this problem but I'll ask since there seems to be some pretty knowledgeable members here..

I bought a G3 Blue & White off ebay, it works perfectly or seemed to before I added some upgrades - 80gb HDD, 2 addtional Dlink 10/100mbps NICs and an LG DVD ROM drive.

My intention was to install Tiger or Panther and turn it into some kind of server, but Tiger will not install - it stops half way through and says I should try again. I tried loads of tricks, like installing Tiger on a firewire drive and then transferring the drive to the G3, and I even tried Panther which did the same thing.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?

Rob
Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:56 PM
The first models of the B&W G3s had problematic drive controllers that don't play nice with some newer drives. You may be able to work around this by getting an ATA PCI card to use with the newer drives instead of the onboard controller. What happens if you stick the original hard drive back in? Does it become stable?

Do a search here on ehMac for Rev A B&W G3

You can follow this Google ehMac search link that's got lots of threads regarding this. Google search on ehMac for Rev A B&W G3 (http://www.google.ca/search?num=100&hl=en&as_qdr=all&q=rev+a+B%26W+G3++site%3Aehmac.ca&btnG=Search&meta=)

MacDoc
Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:02 AM
Next time.....ask first ...buy second. ;)
You most likely have a REV A and they are problematic.

The only potential way around it as it sits if it's a rev A is to put the 80 gig under the optical that at least will take the bad ide bus out of play.

Tiger is incredibly RAM sensitive as well.

CanadaRAM
Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:55 AM
Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?
Did you check whether there were any Firmware upgrades needed on this machine before installing Tiger? Can't remember off the top of my head whether.which were necessary for the B&W.

phobic
Dec 3rd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the replies - I did a little research before I bought it, and read about the Rev A and Rev B G3s, but figured I could work around the problems.. I always knew I could install Ubuntu and make the Mac useful either way.
I have googled lots too, but the problem is weird - for example, in the installer log after it halts the installation it gives an error about a file in /System/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant - I can only assume this is just a general read/write issue, nothing to do with that file itself.
The PCI IDE controller idea is interesting, I might look into that, thanks.

phobic

Jason H
Dec 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Next time.....ask first ...buy second. ;)
You most likely have a REV A and they are problematic.

The only potential way around it as it sits if it's a rev A is to put the 80 gig under the optical that at least will take the bad ide bus out of play.

Is that for real? I can put 2 devices on the second bus and not have to worry?

phobic
Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:43 PM
I might try switching to the 2nd IDE controller, but I think if anything it's more likely some kind of incompatibility with such a new drive and the G3. I did read somewhere (on here I think) that you have to partition down to under 12gb on the B & W, and even then it's sketchy..

Bosco
Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
There always seems to be a G3 Rev2 mobo on EBay. I just saw one for 11 bucks and it's probably still up for auction. I can't guarantee it working.

MacDoc
Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:40 PM
YOU DOUBT THE DOC.??!! ;) :D

Yes you can do the other ide bus but you might have to juggle master slave to get it to boot OS installs properly.

Best deal is that $11 Motherboard.

Jason H
Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:05 PM
I just put a 120 gig WD in my B&W under the cdrom, and It has a 30gig Seagate drive in the main HD position. Everything seems to be going great.

Gerbill
Dec 3rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
There IS a firmware update for the B&W:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58374

According to the blurb:

Improves PCI performance on all Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) Desktop systems.

Cheers :-> Bill