: Toast 6 or 7?

spotted dogs
Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
I am thinking of this software...but am not sure which version to get as i have heard some mixed reports on 7. Am I better off going with an older tried version or is 7 the way to go?
Thanks

Strimkind
Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:38 PM
7 is suppost to have some nice new features...I believe one is video conversion from some formats to VCD/SVCD/DVD. I am not really sure of any others however if 6 is really cheap, go for it.

AlephNull
Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:48 PM
I've used both, and I must say that I've experienced more than my fair share of bugs and glitches with Toast 6... loads of times converting .avis to DVD or VCD yields some kind of error right after the hours of converting has finished. I have yet to have any similar problems with Toast 7. The new version also includes more support for DL disks and I find the interface much improved.

ArtistSeries
Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:51 PM
Version 7 is like getting popcorn build-in.
If price is not an issue, go for V7...

iChard
Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Toast 7 requires quicktime 7 - so if you're running any video software that is dependent on quicktime 6, that might mean something to you...I have been using 7 for a few months now with 10.3.9 and quicktime 7 pro - so far so good!

JAMG
Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:03 PM
Toast 7 also converts PAL to NTSC

That was enough for me...

spotted dogs
Dec 7th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I can get toast 7 in sealed box w/ a coupon for 60 shipped off of amazon....or do i go ebay no box but sealed jewel case for probably 50ish. I am really torn....(although it only is really 10 bucks ish!)

Derrick
Dec 8th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I am thinking of this software...but am not sure which version to get as i have heard some mixed reports on 7. Am I better off going with an older tried version or is 7 the way to go?
Thanks

What do you need to use Toast for? I almost bought the software last week ... I simply needed to have more options for burning CD's/DVD's so they could be used by some friends who use PC's ... I bought some software called MacBurn for $30 and it was fine for what I needed it for.

spotted dogs
Dec 8th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I am looking for something easy to back up my 3 yr olds dvd's and to create/burn movies etc...

ArtistSeries
Dec 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I am looking for something easy to back up my 3 yr olds dvd's and to create/burn movies etc...
Easier with Toast 7 as functions from PopCorn are incorporated....
(Please note it will not copy protected DVDs)

gmark2000
Dec 8th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I have an unused version 5 and wished there was a cheap way to upgrade to 7.

gordguide
Dec 8th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Spotted Dogs:
Amazon.ca? If it's Amazon USA, it will end up costing you $ 100.

Boxed SW is always better; it's much, much easier to sell.

If you want a simple, hassle free solution, Toast is OK. If money is important, it does nothing at all that you couldn't do with freeware or, most of the time, with just the tools built into Mac OSX itself. If you can't be bothered to Google or use the search button here on ehMac to find answers we've answered a dozen times already, then please, please, please buy Toast.

spotted dogs
Dec 8th, 2005, 01:01 PM
It is amazon.ca.....77-25 telus GC and free shipping.
I decided on toast after searching and reading several threads ostensibly because of what appears to be its ease of use. I also downloaded (by recommendation of several people on this board) "mactheripper" as i am aware that Toast will not duplicate protected dvd's.
As I am new to the mac world I decided that ease of use was a priority which is why after some "googling /searching" I figured that i had better stick with a "name brand" software package as I do not have the knowledge base to mess around with some of the freeware available out there..as I have discovered in the past that a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing! And I guess in the big scheme of things 60 is not too bad for a software package (especially now my wife is making noises about photoshop!)

MacDaddy
Dec 8th, 2005, 01:21 PM
I LOVE the new Disc Spanning feature in Toast 7! I am able to backup 40GB of data across multiple DVDs without having to pick and choose what goes on what.

mguertin
Dec 8th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I LOVE the new Disc Spanning feature in Toast 7! I am able to backup 40GB of data across multiple DVDs without having to pick and choose what goes on what.

hehe, yep great feature .... I guess it's better late than never. Apple's disk image utility could do this in OS 7.6! :lmao:

I still use Toast 5.x only when I need to. For about everything else I do I use the built in apple stuff (disk utility, burn folders, etc).