: New iPod - USB not powerful enough

irie
Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Hi,

My buddy just got the 30GB iPod...good for him , I know. He tried to hook it up to his PC (piece of crap) and he's getting a message that says his USB isn't powerful enough.

His computer is a couple years old so he doesn't have USB 2.0. Should the iPod still work fine? I understand it might be slower but...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

monokitty
Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:02 AM
His iPod will not charge via USB 1.1 ports, though it should be able to transfer information to and from, albeit slow as heck. If he's getting that error, plus he can't even transfer data, then no, he needs USB 2.0 to do anything with the iPod on that particular PC.

gordguide
Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:45 AM
A lot of PCs have USB ports that don't meet specification; some PC USB cards have no power available to the ports at all. He should check the specs of his USB card or motherboard to see if he has any powered ports.

If I were him, I would invest in a good, powered USB 2.0 card, but if he has an inexpensive "commodity" PC (cheaper Dells, all Gateways, etc) he better check the power supply and perhaps replace it. It's not unusual to find a power supply of less than 200 watts in inexpensive name brand PCs. A good 350 watt supply should work.

Or, he can charge his iPod with the AC charger it comes with, and put up with the slow uploads (the data part of an un-powered USB port is fine). Has the advantage that it doesn't cost any more money. He might find it better to charge the iPod first; that way it might not complain with the power error message.

iNeedhelp
Nov 23rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
His computer is a couple years old so he doesn't have USB 2.0.

How old are we talking about here? It must be reallly old if it doesn't have USB 2.0! He should take a big stop to the Apple store in Yorkdale.:)

Blain_132
Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:30 PM
i would reccomend him to buy a g4(sawtooth or somthing nice) and just stick a $50 dollar usb 2.0 card in! talk him inot switching to mac! i hate it when people say that they hate macs yet they drool over ipods! (not saying hes anti mac or anything) but persuade him into buying a mac of some kind!