: Java Virtual Machine error

lennie
Nov 23rd, 2005, 03:33 AM
Hey
I'm trying to run Lotus Notes 6.5.4
And I'm getting this error

LS2J Error: Java Virtual Machine Failed to Start.

What do I do?!? I really need Lotus Notes for School. It's a good copy of the software, I got it from the school but now I'm stuck.

Help!

I installed all the Java updates from the OSX website.

I'm running a 12" G4 PB, 1.0GHz, 768 Ram, 30GB HDD.

HELP Please!

RISCHead
Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:38 AM
You can try using the public forum here to post your question:
http://web4.notes.net/ldd/nd6forum.nsf

I myself had multiple issues with Notes 6.5.4 and moved back to 6.0.1

Alternatively, if your school requires you to use Notes and you have a valid licence and software from the school, it is likely that the have a support/maintenance contract with IBM.

I would suggest that you contact your school's help desk on this as well and see if you can get a ticket opened with IBM support.

gordguide
Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
You didn't mention the OS version you're using, and it's important information to help troubleshoot problems with any software or hardware.

Notes currently is unsupported by IBM on 10.4x.

Go to Sun's site here (http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml); and it will tell you whether it's installed and working properly. If Java works, then there is something with IBM's software that gives you the error.

Q. Is it just an error message that you can dismiss (and possibly ignore), or does the application refuse to work at all?

lennie
Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Hey
Thanks for the help
I'm using OSX 10.4
Sorrry I didn't mention that earlier, I'm using Lotus Notes to edit a few websites so I can click ok to the error but it doesn't let me update anything, I'm able to see the contents but unable to edit anything.
Should I go back to Notes 6.0? Will that be supported on OSX 10.4?

lennie
Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:38 PM
you guys are right

it seems that IBM offers NO support for OSX 10.4...
looks like i'm gona have to use Virtual PC and Win 2000 and run Lotus Notes that way..sucky eh?
Mid next year they plan on releasing version 7.5 which supports OSX 10.4
thanks for the input.
peace