: Rogers Cable connection and DLink router

MacAndy
Nov 21st, 2005, 11:20 AM
Hi all,

Trying to help a friend connect his two Macs, older PowerBook G4 and G4 tower, to Rogers via a DLink router.

When I plug in the router as required, and surf to http://192.168.0.1 it says unable to make connection.

I tried both the Ethernet cable that came with the Rogers modem and the new cable he got at FutureShop, and the manual says it can be either a straight-through or crossover cable, either/or, and still, doesn't recognize the router.

I remove router and Internet works fine.

Is there [maybe quite obviously to some] something I'm missing in the procedure?

The router *is* plugged in ;-)

Boomcha
Nov 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM
You should check that the router is getting an address from the cable modem. And that it is set to hand out DHCP addresses to each machine. Should be working. Could be a dud router.

Jorge

MacAndy
Nov 21st, 2005, 01:09 PM
Hi Jorge,

If I can't call up the router on the Mac, how would I see if the router is getting an address from the cable modem? All the lights are flickering merry along. Let me know what you mean by this. Thanks. Otherwise, yes, I'll throw it back at FutureSchlop.

simon
Nov 21st, 2005, 01:35 PM
Are you sure the address is 192.168.0.1? Maybe somebody set it to something else ... you could look up the way to reset the router to it's default settings and try again

wonderings
Nov 21st, 2005, 01:42 PM
make sure that the router is not connected to the cable modem. I use rogers with a d-link wireless router. I remember when I first got the router, it said to connect only to router with the computer and type in the address.

harrytse
Nov 21st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Hi Jorge,

If I can't call up the router on the Mac, how would I see if the router is getting an address from the cable modem? All the lights are flickering merry along. Let me know what you mean by this. Thanks. Otherwise, yes, I'll throw it back at FutureSchlop.

determine the latter first, that the Mac has received an IP address from the router, through Network in System Preferences for the appropriate network adapter. The IP address should not come from automatic addressing, beginning with 169.

In instances where MacOSX doesn't acquire a lease from DHCP, it may require a restart.

Boomcha
Nov 21st, 2005, 01:59 PM
Oops.. missed that part. I would first reset the router, then go to the router admin settings and check that its set to hand out DHCP addresses, then after that plug in the cable modem (perhaps all the parties involved need a restart in case the cable modem address is linked to the individual machine MAC address).

Good luck.

Jorge

MacAndy
Nov 21st, 2005, 03:18 PM
I did try connecting without the Rogers modem connected, don't recall if I restarted the Mac after having tried it *with* it connected first. I did restart the Mac after a while and I have reset the router as well. Will retry again soon.

And, yes, the router address is 192.168.0.1 according to the manual. Funny though, in the manual the pic looks like it has a comma at the end! Maybe even *they* don't know how it should be accessed?! ;-)

harrytse
Nov 21st, 2005, 04:06 PM
what is the IP Address being assigned? worse comes to worse, manual configure TCP/IP to access the router interface.

Perfessor
Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Sounds like you're doing everything right. I've got the same setup. I just typed 192.168.0.1 into my search window and got access to my D-Link.

MACSPECTRUM
Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:56 AM
do a hard re-set on the router in case the ip address for it got changed

you will need an unfolded paper clip
it is a small hole at the back of the router

depress and hold for 5 seconds or until router lights go solid
see manual for more info.

after router is reset
ip = 192.168.0.1
login = admin
no password

MacAndy
Nov 24th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Hi,

Turns out, it was not the router's fault AT ALL. It was the way Internet Explorer by Microcrap was configured. In the preferences, all of the web, mail and news network preferences were set to CACHE. What the hell??

After hours of plugging, unplugging, restarting, reconfiguring, reading manuals, it comes down to a piece of crap application with a setting like that???????

I had him up and running within seconds once I turned all of that off. Is that a Rogers Cable deluxe install option? Configure applications so they only work that way? What a load of crap.

Now the only problem I have is Outlook Express refuses to SEND mail. It will receive it, just not send it. Now, before anyone jumps in and tells me smtp this and that [thanks, BTW] I was on the phone to Rogers tech for 45 minutes and THEY couldn't figure it out. His response was it must be the firewall set up in the router. There is no firewall set up in the router, it is all on default, no rules, no locks on IPs, users, etc. The default mail servers, when hooked up directly to a Rogers high speed modem are pop and smtp. That's it. If you hook up a router, you have to change it to pop.broadband.rogers.com and smtp.broadband.rogers.com. Incoming worked immediately. Outgoing is still a no-go.

Proves once again, Microslouch products are absolute crap. I'm sick and tired of dealing with them. Thankfully Microslouch is no longer trying to compete in the browser arena, it just isn't necessary for them to cause us further grief.

Rant over. Sorry, did I not warn this was a rant?! ;-)

harrytse
Nov 24th, 2005, 01:01 PM
if Mozilla Firefox was set to Work Offline it would have produced the same result.

MacAndy
Nov 24th, 2005, 01:36 PM
My point is, the browser WORKED when connected directly to the modem, DIDN'T WORK when connected with the router, but it NOT the router's problem. He is happily using Safari now.

Myrddin Emrys
Nov 27th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Reset the router.

Set the Mac settings to manual and set the router static IP to 192.168.0.1 and the machines' IPs to 192.168.0.xxx (eg. 100 or 135).

The router should be set for a static connection, and to be even safer, set things to only except connections from your machines' IPs.