Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

The Future of Brave New Waves

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  sinjin 
#1 ·
Well, since somebody else on this board brought it up, might as well make a thread about it. I fear even now that we're nearing the end of BNW as we know it. With Radio 3 getting the satellite bid, it seems to be only a matter of time before it's done. As a 13 year old, it taught me more about music than anyone or anything I've been in contact with before or since. Now, as an adult, it's good respite after work, if I can stay awake long enough.

But, there seems to be something missing in today's version, as mentioned. It really hit me when I recently dug out my small collection of older shows on tape from my junior high days. I even encoded most of them. Maybe it's because I've been around this music for a long time now that this stuff isn't as unfamiliar to me as it was back in the day. Or maybe it's just so uniform from one night to another it doesn't really stray from formula as often as it used to. Maybe it's both.

Anyway, with that in mind, I wonder how much longer this show can last with all this hanging over it. Opinions welcome. Also, I wonder who here (other than Yak and myself) still carry around these older shows?

#2 ·
I used to listen to Brave New Waves in the early 90's when Brent Bambury was the host. Ahhh, those were good times. At that time it was much more guitar indie rock focused. Sadly, I haven't listened to the show in years...

I used to really enjoy the show and listen to it quite regularly. I wish I had a collection that I had taped.

#3 ·
Hi,

Driving home from the clubs in the early 90's is when I was introduced to BNW. Fantastic music that made me wish was played at the club. Then came the voice of Patti Schmidt. <sigh> I loved that voice all through the 90's. Now I am such an old fart that I can't stay awake past 10:30 on a weeknight so I have no idea what the show is like anymore.
I think it is really easy to get nostalgic about how good it was, or, how poor it is today, with just about anything. Keep in mind that BNW is probably impacting some "punk" at this very moment who will be lamenting in 15 years about the "good ole days of radio".

Still, I saver those memories of me and Patti!

s.

#4 ·
i used to tape the show in the mid to late nineties when patti schmidt was hosting. and, as i mentioned in the other thread, i stopped when the show was overrun with boring ambient music. sometimes she'd play 3 or 4 horrendous 20 minutes+ ambient tracks in a row. it was like dead air.

#5 ·
I'm a certified CBC radio junky, but I'm also a card carrying member of the waaaay over the hill club. I heard Brave New Waves and Nightlines a few times when I happened to be up well past my bedtime. I liked the hosts and their enthusiasm for the music, but I certainly didn't "Get It".
Brent now has a show on Saturday mornings called Go. At least I "get it" since it's more mainstream. I really like the show David Wisdom now has on Radio Two called "Pearls of Wisdom". He plays all kinds of quirky stuff from classical music, pop, comedy, and anything else that comes to mind. Each show usually has a specific theme. It's nothing like what I remember from Nightlines, but maybe I'm just confused in my old age.
That's what's so great about CBC radio, there's all kinds of stuff to hear that covers the whole spectrum from BNW, pop, rock, jazz, blues, and classical. I remember being blown away by the Rankin Family when they played on Morningside. That was their big break to a national audience. The first time I heard the Bare Naked Ladies was when the host of the late evening show played tracks from their first indie release. I ran out to buy it after hearing "If I had a million dollars".

#6 ·
Yeah, the fact that CBC would have a show like this at all is really amazing. But with Radio 3's satellite gig, I wonder how long BNW can continue before it gets swallowed by the R3 bruhaha. That's actually the big point of this topic. As good as the podcasts are, more often than not it doesn't feel quite as, uh, organic as it does listening to a couple hours of BNW, I think. Of course this is just an older listener talking. Anyone agree?

#8 ·
I don't see the crisis here. Is BNW being folded? If so, will there be a similar show emanating from Radio 3, or will BNW be moved there? Unless I've missed some developments, I would assume these things are being discussed as the initiative to fulfil the list of deliverables for satellite radio moves forward.

"Life would be much simpler if we were all newts."

#9 ·
I think the crisis is that if this show does fold, how many among its audience is actually gonna pay extra to hear this music on satellite? I've got enough on my financial plate as it is with my bills. And personally, I get by on streaming just fine. And from my view, satellite's still a niche thing. Hey, Yak, I sent you a PM, check it out when you can.

#10 ·
So BNW lives on?! Phew, I clicked on this thread with trepidation.

Just so I have it straight, nothing has been said by anyone at the CBC or in some other media outlet that might indicate BNW is on the chopping block or moving to satellite, correct?

I only found out about BNW late in life; it sounds like I missed some magical era.

FWIW, those of you who can't stay up to listen to it, do what I do: record BNW with Audio Hijack Pro or WireTap. It's in my iTunes library and on my iPod whenever I want it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.