: Toronto Black Community Groups Unite for Changes

lpkmckenna
Oct 8th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Toronto Star: A Call for Separateness (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1128723024501&call_pageid=968332188492&StarSource=RSS)

I am going to think over this stuff. I am a "blue liberal," so my apprehension over many of these ideas is typical of my political bent. But Catholics, francophones, and Native Canadians enjoy separate institutions for some things. Is it fair for the Catholics to have their own schools but blacks may not?

For so many diverse groups to agree on a single action plan speaks to the resolve this community's leaders have.

(If you think these ideas are beyond reason, remember that a salesman quotes high, so he can bargain down to what he really wants.)

SINC
Oct 8th, 2005, 08:43 PM
In a rapidly decaying Canadian society, can the abolishment of the separate school system be far behind? I think not. I am not Catholic, but I fear the worst for our values and morals in the future. The secularists will eventually rule the country. :(

lpkmckenna
Oct 8th, 2005, 08:49 PM
In a rapidly decaying Canadian society, can the abolishment of the separate school system be far behind? I think not. I am not Catholic, but I fear the worst for our values and morals in the future. The secularists will eventually rule the country. :(Canadian society is not rapidly decaying. Rather, the "values and morals" from a dark age of history are dying while the values and morals of a liberal nation are being born.

Now, back to the real topic: recommendations of the black community leaders...

ehMax
Oct 8th, 2005, 09:07 PM
In a rapidly decaying Canadian society, can the abolishment of the separate school system be far behind? I think not. I am not Catholic, but I fear the worst for our values and morals in the future. The secularists will eventually rule the country. :(

SINC.. with all due respect, I don't think you read the article. Regardless if you did, its not really on topic.

--

It does seem a little backwards to have black leaders calling for race-based statistics on crime, and a separate skills training program for blacks... and have white politicians feeling uncomfortable.

A most interesting quote in the article:

As to the charge that the proposals are segregationist, "I think that response comes from two types of people: an individual who doesn't understand the challenges the community faces, which are much more significant than those faced by other communities; and the individual who would not wish to see the community uplifted," Graham said.

A group of leaders in the black community coming together and saying what it is they need to fix the problem. Definitely should be taken very seriously and perhaps acted upon.

MacDoc
Oct 8th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Slippery slope and it's one thing I can't really forgive Bill Davis for :mad: tho the Catholics by and large have stayed within the mandate to offer the same courses and open access to all students.

I'm of mixed opinion as I do think "peoples/cultures" are most effective with their own institutions - that said I think a "common ground" educational system is also critical for co-existence.

IF we see Canada as a "nation of peoples/cultures".......then those identities need fostering and by and large I think Canada in the past 40 years has done so so we have vibrant communities with lots of cultural trappings.

Given that other communities have thrived including other visible minorities and have created their own cultural institutions within the larger community, language lessons, festivals, retail and food districts, I'm hard pressed to see why "blacks" - whatever that may be.......cannot also "succeed".

Caribana is a focus point, there are lots of West Indian food shops etc and certainly the Chinese community in Canada has grown out of the much earlier oppression ( Canadian railway era ) it suffered as a community. The orthodox Jewish community is the most vibrant in NA short of New York and certainly they historically have been plagued by discrimination.

That said I think racism is still a factor in Canada for individual success and for instance the Chinese community has benefitted from high level successful communities like Hong Kong for both acumen and inspiration.

Few Caribbean OR African cultures have that "successful example" and the ensuing resources to enrich and grow the community here. The possible exception being musically.
Were there a "Hong Kong of the Caribbean" perhaps things might be different, instead we have unsavoury example with Jamaican gang activity being an "example" and "resource". :(

I guess after re-reading the article and thinking about other communities who have been supported in their efforts - notably francophones - I guess I'd have to say full steam ahead.

The community itself has made this call and action plan and "coming of age" is exactly a good metaphor. This is a critical time and this community has reached out for with a well considered plan for help in achieving a peaceable and successful place in the Canadian mosaic.

It might not be ideal and does harbour some risk of "segregation" but it's certainly worth pursuing since this wide coalition of community representatives has laid out this plan.
Let the govs at all levels give them the resources to achieve it.

Maybe Canada once more will be the "example" to be proud of.

What do you think LPK?? - you seemed to have the same "doubts"......any resolution yet??

BTW Sinc there are just as many cops patrolling Catholic schools for drugs as ANY public school.
Take your white bread Canada illusion and.........grrr :mad:

Here's your "good ol' values community.....
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4232205/detail.html

http://mexico2006.homelinux.org/english/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=17 :rolleyes: