: WTF my mighty mouse is broken

Steve-O
Sep 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM
movement of the cursor is no problem, but the scroll wheel does not scroll down, only up and sideways. It really makes you realize how much scrolling you actually do. Ugh I'm going to yorkdale to see if they will give me a new one.

i stole this name
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:04 AM
And?

Steve-O
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:06 AM
and what?
it happened at like 1am last night

i stole this name
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Well, keep us updated on the repair so that we know when to exhale ;)

Vexel
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
And?

It might have been better if you hadn't posted anything at all. I mean really. What was the point? Obviously, he's bothered by his situation and needed to vent. There's no harm in that. Chill out dude.. jeez.

btw: Steve-O, sorry to hear about your MM. Good luck with the repair. It seems there's a few problems with the MM. I hope your next one serves you better. :)

ArtistSeries
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM
So, looks like the mighty mouse is in need of mighty upgrade of quality control.

Apart from two users, everyone I know that has bought the little rodent has returned it for servicing. That an over 80% problem rate.
Given that most people put up with really bad mice, I would not be surprised if it's higher.

When you pay that much for a mouse and the QC seems so poor, I'd be mighty pissed.

Steve-O thanks for posting.

i stole this name
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:15 AM
It might have been better if you hadn't posted anything at all. I mean really. What was the point? Obviously, he's bothered by his situation and needed to vent. There's no harm in that. Chill out dude.. jeez.

Speaking of pointless...

Steve-O
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Easy in the thread ppl, its all about the mouse. It was just a thread to inform ppl. I'm back to my, "trusty" $10 microsoft mouse. It's been in use for 3 years and is great. I figured for 70 dollars this would be a good product. Ah well.

I don't get offended by posts istolethisname just seemed interested in the outcome. No hurt feelings, think happy little clouds everyone.

mactrombone
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I totally agree with you, AS, That's how I felt with the iMac G5. You pay almost $3000 for the 20" (a year ago, anyway) and you expect quality. So many problems, so many people pissed off.

I might even add, be thankful it's just the mouse. ;)

macsackbut
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Steve-O.... Can you hear the theme from the Twilight Zone playing? The exact same thing happened to me just a few hours before you (https://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=31113). Mine's back to normal now (maybe just some crude under the scroll ball? But then why does it only stop scrolling <i>down</i>? I'm calling Apple about this right after I hit "Post"

MacS

guytoronto
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:39 AM
For all those people who jumped on the MIghty Mouse bandwagon and are experiencing problems - are you surprised?

Numerous articles on the net pointed to problems with the mouse. Over-priced, frustrating functionality, etc.

As for price, always be aware that the more you pay for something, the MORE likely you are to have problems with it.

Nobody ever has a serious issue with a 25 cent pencil. Give them a $30,000 car, and there are a dozen things that will go wrong with it in the first year.

Yes, some of the problems can be avoided by better quality control. Just don't be crazy enough to buy a product just because Apple makes it.

How many ordered a nano?

Steve-O
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:49 AM
hahah i ordered a nano

i guess the theory is the more functions you cram into something ie: a car, mouse, home, etc. the more can go wrong since there are more things being used. I do however love nicely crafted technology and a fear of something going wrong with it will never deter me from buying it.

i stole this name
Sep 12th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Not necessarily the case. See OS X is loaded with features more than windows - but more tends to go wrong with windows.

This really depends on the Quality checks that the company has integrated and boils down to the R&D dept.

Frankly, i never justified the cost of a mighty mouse, and ended up buying a wireless logitech for the same price. It's not as pretty as apple, but is more functional - and i use my mouse more than i raise my hand and stare at it.

My position on the nano is the same. Don't get me wrong, i would love to have a nano, but i can't justify the price especially since the capacity/screen limitations just don't suit what i want to use it for mainly.

macsackbut
Sep 12th, 2005, 12:01 PM
For all those people who jumped on the MIghty Mouse bandwagon and are experiencing problems - are you surprised?Though I'm not too fond of the smug tone of this I-told-you-so response, I have to admit I am indeed not THAT surprised there are problems. There often are when any new product is rolled out (new for this particular company, at any rate). I have had good experiences with my Apple products thus far, and the few times I have had a problem, Apple has always stood behind their product. So I don't feel as stupid for buying this mouse as you seem to be trying to make me feel. I definitely wouldn't recommend the mouse to a friend, but I don't regret my purchase at all.

ArtistSeries
Sep 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Frankly, i never justified the cost of a mighty mouse, and ended up buying a wireless logitech for the same price. It's not as pretty as apple, but is more functional - and i use my mouse more than i raise my hand and stare at it.
I always have hated Mac Mice. Apart from the ergonomics, they are not precise enough for me. I have always used Kensington trackballs, mice or Logitech (they have more precise mice).

My position on the nano is the same. Don't get me wrong, i would love to have a nano, but i can't justify the price especially since the capacity/screen limitations just don't suit what i want to use it for mainly.
The form factor of the nano is great. I'm waiting awhile but I find that it's a better choice than the mini.

The Doug
Sep 12th, 2005, 12:24 PM
My MM is fine, no problems whatsoever. I guess I'm lucky -- time will tell, eh? :)

parousia
Sep 12th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I totally love my MM its the best mouse I have used so far,

No problems here....

Parousia

mactrombone
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I've heard the "I told you so" attitude regarding rev A purchases from Apple, specifically the iMac G5. Personally, I think it is a pile of BS. Why shouldn't we buy a Rev A product? It has been released for public purchase. If that is a genuine "policy" or issue with apple to release products with lack of QC just for the sake of making money or beating other companies to the punch then I find it extremely irresponsible... And we should bitch about it. I don't think people should stand on the side lines saying "I told you so". They should join the chorus of cries for better quality.

HowEver
Sep 12th, 2005, 02:16 PM
"Kids, kids, you're both right."

mactrombone
Sep 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM
But, Dad....

guytoronto
Sep 12th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I definitely wouldn't recommend the mouse to a friend, but I don't regret my purchase at all.

Me confused. :confused:

i stole this name
Sep 12th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Me confused. :confused:

Psychologically, people automatically will avoid regret in any way possible.

macsackbut
Sep 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Me confused. :confused:Well, I'm not surprised about THAT either. I'm happy with it as a mouse (minor glitches notwithstanding) but I think it's too expensive for what it does. I bought the mouse for personal motivations that I won't go into here, but YOU need to understand that different people have different reasons for buying different things, and it's OK if they don't happen to agree with your particular ethos.

MacS

VertiGoGo
Sep 12th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I tried one out at the wall of Mac at CompuSmart...and you won't catch me buying one anytime soon. Wow...I was shocked at how terribly cheap it felt...especially the trackball. Tracking was off, the trackball itself was not smooth to move around and the right-clicks almost never worked.

I played with it for about 10-minutes on a G5 tower...and I will be sticking to my Logitech until Apple makes a suitable replacement.

Good luck to those of you who are having woes and congrats to those of you who like the MM, so far.

Cheers.

Steve-O
Sep 12th, 2005, 08:27 PM
well i got home and decided to try the mouse again to no avail. So in frustration i smacked it on the table. wouldn't you know it, the scroll wheel started working again. :eek: im happy

kent
Sep 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
lol - what do you know Mighty Mouse likes it rough ...

that's good news ... I have little patience with stuff that doesn't work - who has time to deal with it.

macsackbut
Sep 12th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I tried one out at the wall of Mac at CompuSmart...and you won't catch me buying one anytime soon. Wow...I was shocked at how terribly cheap it felt...especially the trackball. I guess I can understand why people find it looks and feels cheap, though I myself don't really think so. To my mind, the main problem with this mouse, aside from the price/quality ratio, is that we expect Apple to blow us away, and on this front, the MM definitely disappoints. It's a good mouse, with a few extra features, but the WOW factor is definitely missing (and we sure got a taste of WOW with the nano).

[T]he right-clicks almost never worked. Right-clicking on the MM takes some getting used to. You have to make sure your index finger is completely off the mouse, otherwise, the MM sees it as a left-click. But I agree, it shouldn't be so. Mice have been around for ages and you shouldn't have to re-learn how to use one.

SoyMac
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:57 PM
... I bought the mouse for personal motivations that I won't go into here, ...

MacS
Go into! Go into!!!!
Enquiring minds want to know...