: What could the problem be?

Applelover
Sep 11th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Hey guys..I'm appealing to anyone out there who is in the same situation as me...Here it goes:

So I have a wireless network in my home (who doesn't these days?) and I have gone through a few different types of routers: Microsoft, Linksys and D-Link. I've had the same problem with all of them and that is....that when I'm on the internet on my ibook, the internet connection stops after a min or two and then re-establishes a connection a few minutes after. Here's the weird thing.....it can't be my ibook...because I have tried numerous laptops on my home network now...about 4 to be exact and the same issue happens with my parents computer (a PII 400mhz PC). Here is the setup I have:

*Cable modem in the basement of the house hooked up to D-link Wireless G router, which has a hawking omni directional antenna hooked up to it
*on the 2nd floor (main floor) is a D-link wireless range expander
*on the third floor is my ibook and my parents computer

The reason why I have the antenna and range expander is because I need a strong enough signal to penetrate through 2 floors to make it to my bedroom. I always had full reception with my airport express card in the ibook. The reception is probably strong enough to be reached a few hundred metres from my house. I called Rogers (I also work for them) to see how long my modem has been online for...and it has been connected for 14 days straight.....so it can't be a problem with my modem. I have done numerous power cycles and can't find the solution....My internet still cuts out at random intervals and it's really annoying. Has anyone else experienced this? Please help me! If you do, I'll treat you to Starbucks next time you're in Ottawa ;-) if you guys need more info please ask and I can provide more details if need be.

P.S.: Sorry for such a long post!
-Applelover

Howard2k
Sep 12th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Do you have a 2.4GHz phone?

How about the neighbours?

Any flourescent lighting?

Is there any connection with the use of the microwave oven?

Applelover
Sep 12th, 2005, 12:46 AM
We don't have any 2.4ghz phones, we do have 4 cordless phones, all of which are 900mhz. Two neighbours with wireless but those networks are WEP encrypted (I don't know if that matters?). I think there are some flourescent lights in the basemen. As for the microwave oven....I'm not sure...we do own a microwave though ;-)

lpkmckenna
Sep 12th, 2005, 12:51 AM
The problem could be posting in the wrong forum with a vague title. ;)

randomdef
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:00 AM
dlink 524 by chance? i have the same router and had the same problem. look on the internet and you'll find many many people with the same problem. i solved it with my machines by simply turning on WEP encryption and it never drops the connect now.

Applelover
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:15 AM
I don't have WEP encryption turned on....I will try this tommorow, I hope it works! Will the speed be dramatically reduced now since I'm going to WEP?

Applelover
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:18 AM
It is the D-link 524 also!

Applelover
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:20 PM
I'll keep you posted on this tonight when I get home an enable WEP! I have my fingers crossed that this will work!

ArtistSeries
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Also, with many D-Links, there is a problem with resetting itself. I had to return my unit 3 times before getting one that works - and at that it resets itself a few times a day.

You can update the firmware. (Did not work in my case).
Call D-Link tech support, they seem very aware of the problem.