: We need more Apple retail stores in Canada.

satchmo
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I know people in other parts of Canada just wish they had one....but the one we have here in Toronto is in itself too small for the amount of traffic.

There was talk of one going up in Vaughn Mills but it hasn't materialized yet.
Apple is firing on all cylinders with this new Nano, but it's not in the mainstream yet.
Sure we'll see it at BestBuy but we need a behemoth flagship Apple retail store that can actually handle the hoopla when new products such as this is unveiled. :)

guytoronto
Sep 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM
A bigger store won't be able to deal with the fact that new products aren't available the day they are announced.

And if you are concerned about the amount of traffic at the Apple store, why don't you visit one of the other Apple dealers in town?

trump
Sep 11th, 2005, 03:24 PM
A bigger store won't be able to deal with the fact that new products aren't available the day they are announced.

And if you are concerned about the amount of traffic at the Apple store, why don't you visit one of the other Apple dealers in town?

name any company other than apple that launches products the same day they're launched - it's not easy

lpkmckenna
Sep 11th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I know people in other parts of Canada just wish they had one....but the one we have here in Toronto is in itself too small for the amount of traffic. I've been to the Apple Store, but Carbon Computing is still better.

The only thing the Yorkdale store has going for it is the huge female customer base.

AppleAuthority
Sep 11th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I went to CPUsed generally, but Yorkdale is closer for me. However, the place is always packed. Instead of a flagship store, in my opinion, Toronto would be better off with mini stores in each section of the GTA. Same for Vancouver and Montreal. Multiple mini-stores with product like the nano readily available, is better than the whole GTA going to a flagship store. And it's probably cheaper for Apple to make mini-stores anyway.

Vexel
Sep 11th, 2005, 04:12 PM
sure, we'll take a Flagship store here in NS ;) :D

mgl
Sep 11th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I'm sure Apple wants to build more stores here, but they're probably waiting for good real estate at reasonable long-term leases.

I imagine we'll see one in the Eaton Centre soon. There is a ton of work being done on the upper level near the bridge to the Bay. I wouldn't be surprised to see an Apple store there. It wouldn't be a flagship location, but it could easily be the size of the Yorkdale store. And importantly for the Eaton Centre, it's near the elevator. (Lugging an eMac up or down escalators would not be fun.)

The only other location in the GTA that I can see getting an Apple Store ahead of the Eaton Centre is Scarborough Town Centre. As much as I hate that nightmare, it has the traffic that Apple wants, and probably the demo, too.

guytoronto
Sep 11th, 2005, 05:19 PM
name any company other than apple that launches products the same day they're launched - it's not easy

Apple:

Announces products with huge media circus.

Totally underestimates demand.

Makes their products almost impossible to get for at least a month after announcement.

Yup. Oh, and try to get any iPod nano accessory. Sure, you can order one and get it in a week, but none of the other accessories that Apple announced will be available for a month.

Support your local Apple store. They'll give you the real story behind Apple products. They'll tell you the positive AND the negative. I doubt you'll get that kind of honesty at an Apple store.

T-hill
Sep 11th, 2005, 05:53 PM
The only other location in the GTA that I can see getting an Apple Store ahead of the Eaton Centre is Scarborough Town Centre. As much as I hate that nightmare, it has the traffic that Apple wants, and probably the demo, too.

Square One?

T-hill
Sep 11th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I've been to the Apple Store, but Carbon Computing is still better.

The only thing the Yorkdale store has going for it is the huge female customer base.

You better apologize to the good people at Carbon Computing... You've just convinced me to never shop anywhere other than an Apple Store again! :D

Trevor...
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:35 PM
I have heard Apple is interested in the Eau Claire Market in Calgary, along with Chinook.

I dunno, I never really understood Eau Claire Market, it was supposed to be a high-end mall, but it didn't really turn out that way. Most of the stores just sell garbage, and they seem to have an open door policy to the local homeless population. Last time I was there, a crazy woman was on the stairs over the food court just screaming.

Apprently it is going to be re-developed in the comming years.

Vishalca
Sep 11th, 2005, 07:51 PM
If Apple wanted to open a store in Calgary, Chinook, or even TD Square would be admirable locations. Eau Claire market is going nowhere in the near future.

ShawnKing
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I have heard Apple is interested in the Eau Claire Market in Calgary, along with Chinook.
Heard from who?

Trevor...
Sep 11th, 2005, 10:29 PM
someone I am confident none of you have heard of, but wouldn't appreciate being named none-the-less.

BlueMax
Sep 11th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Apparently Chinook mall is the place to be! Supposed to be as cool as West Edmonton Mall without the absurd size.
Used to be my hangout before I got married and left Calgary. Glad to be back in Alberta and can't wait to see the famed improvements!

ShawnKing
Sep 11th, 2005, 11:03 PM
someone I am confident none of you have heard of, but wouldn't appreciate being named none-the-less.
Then you'll understand our taking the statement with a truckload of salt. :)

Trevor...
Sep 11th, 2005, 11:07 PM
ask me if I care,

trump
Sep 11th, 2005, 11:22 PM
:eek:

HowEver
Sep 11th, 2005, 11:43 PM

Tyler
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I'd love to see an Apple Flagship store in the heart of downtown Vancouver. I think the corner of Robson and Granville would be a beautiful spot for a store.

Just have to find to take a bulldozer to a few unsightly buildings first... (Futureshop :D)

ShawnKing
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:16 PM
ask me if I care,
LOL Fine...get pissy...won't change a thing.

Macaholic
Sep 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Ah, "Trevor...". Ya just ooze warmth, old man.

CorSter
Sep 13th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Apple is interested in expanding in the Toronto area to two or three stores, before expanding out of the GTA.

the area around Yonge between King and Gerrard is where apple wants to build a store.

trump
Sep 13th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Apple is interested in expanding in the Toronto area to two or three stores, before expanding out of the GTA.

the area around Yonge between King and Gerrard is where apple wants to build a store.

source?

we like asking, because the amount of false info about Apple Stores is crazy

Macaholic
Sep 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM
source?

we like asking, because the amount of false info about Apple Stores is crazy

Yes. Such specifically packaged "dirt" requires SOME qualifying. Don't it? :D

West Coast Boy
Sep 13th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I think a better location for a Vancouver Flagship store would be to get Sears to pull back a bit and use the Granville and Georgia face with that Multi-level glass area that is there for the front entrance ;)

satchmo
Sep 13th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Can you be anymore vague? You've just described downtown Yonge Street. ;)

Bill Baroud
Sep 13th, 2005, 12:41 PM
A store in the Eaton Center would be really cool (not sure Compusmart across the street would be happy though). But at least we would see new products right away instead of weeks later...

ShawnKing
Sep 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM
A store in the Eaton Center would be really cool (not sure Compusmart across the street would be happy though).
LOL Believe me, Apple doesn't care whether or not CompuSmart is or isn't happy. They will build stores wherever they think makes sense, economically, for them.

Sep 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM
There have been various rumors about a downtown T.O. store going back as far as three years ago. None have (so far) materialized. I think it has to do with the fact that Apple will wait years (if required) for the perfect retail location and only then move in, which makes sense to me.

If you want my $0.02 worth, Apple will be in or around the Eaton Center in the next two years with a flagship store. My logic for this is simple. It fits the pattern of how they've worked in other places such as the U.S. which to me at least seems to be to open a flagship store in locations with high foot traffic, accessible to public transit, in large population centers in a location that is a "happening" area. That vacant space across from Dundas Square where that mall is going up would be one location (if they ever finish building it), but what may be more likely is that Apple may take an existing retail space on Yonge between Queen and Dundas.

trump
Sep 13th, 2005, 09:38 PM
the Metropolis (that building that is taking damn near forever to build) has already been leased solid. Futureshop plans on building a "flagship" store in it

MacBro
Sep 13th, 2005, 09:50 PM
There is definitely a need for an Apple Store in the Metro Vancouver Area. Robson Street and Granville or (gotta take the skytrain to it tho) Metrotown. That would capture the suburbanites.

Sep 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
the Metropolis (that building that is taking damn near forever to build) has already been leased solid. Futureshop plans on building a "flagship" store in it

Doesn't Future Shop just build a flagship store at Yonge and Eglinton not too long ago?

DP004
Sep 14th, 2005, 03:39 PM
What is the quality of advice/service in an Apple store?
Do they talk to you if you didn't purchased Applecare?
Can you talk to the service guy working on the other side of the divider?
The fantastic buying experience lasts 30 minutes. How caring are the Apple store people after that?
On what base are the sales clerks chosen and hired?
Does someone remember you (Hi!) or your name when you go back?

The Apple stores and the Apple on-line store are driving the Apple dealers away.
I feel sorry for the good ones.

Sep 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
My experience has been the following:

- The staff tend to leave you alone unless you're clearly looking to ask a question.
- They tend to be very good to deal with when you're buying.
- The only repair experience that I've had with them was with the Soho store and the Apple Genius that I dealt with was no better than anybody in a dealership. That's not to say that he was bad, but you somehow almost expect better from the Apple Store. Maybe I'm being unrealistic? BTW, the PowerBook I had with me didn't have AppleCare, but the stores in the States do have ProCare which bumps you to next day service for repairs at the AppleStore (http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/ to see what I mean) among other things. The funny thing is that when I worked for dealers, I tried to turn stuff around in 24 hours and they didn't need to pay $99 for that.

If you want to know how the people are hired, surf to http://www.ifoapplestore.com for more info.

The Apple stores and the Apple on-line store are driving the Apple dealers away. I feel sorry for the good ones.

There's a couple of class action lawsuits regarding that issue and more. Surf to www.tellonapple.org for more info. That's the main reason why I stopped working for Apple dealers and got my MCSE+I so that I could cross over to "the dark side." The pay is better and the threat (perceived or actual) of Apple wiping out it's resellers doesn't exist.

trump
Sep 14th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Doesn't Future Shop just build a flagship store at Yonge and Eglinton not too long ago?
that place is ugly, small, cramped, and completely unworthy of being called flagship

Sep 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM
that place is ugly, small, cramped, and completely unworthy of being called flagship

You mean like all of their stores? :)

CorSter
Sep 14th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Virgin dropped out of the Dundas Sqaure deal, and an unnamed tenant has taken their spot....

Sep 15th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Virgin dropped out of the Dundas Sqaure deal, and an unnamed tenant has taken their spot....

You wouldn't happen to be able to point out where you heard that?

CorSter
Sep 18th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Virgin has completly pulled out of Canada.

HMV got their property rights.. but HMV gave up the spot because they already have a flagship store there.

The FutureShop flagship there is small and cramped, it's probably more like a large RadioShack/Source

trump
Sep 19th, 2005, 12:23 AM

if true, that's huge. Sources would be sweeeet

CorSter
Sep 19th, 2005, 12:40 AM
http://www.cirpa.ca/Page.asp?PageID=122&ContentID=818&SiteNodeID=66

Virgin Entertainment Group Inc. will close its only Canadian store, located in Vancouver. The company had initially planned to expand across Canada with its next store to open in Toronto, but instead has decided to pull out of Canada altogether. “It is not feasible to continue to run a single store in Canada any longer,” the company noted in a statement. Vancouver is considered a very competitive music retail market that has resulted in some of the lowest prices in the world. The Vancouver store’s closing will allow Virgin to concentrate on its U.S. business.

Andrew Dunning
Sep 19th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Where Apple really needs a store is Ottawa. At least Toronto has some decent dealers; all we've got is The Mac Group (a total joke, and in a seedy part of town) and CompuSmart. I'd love to see an Apple Store in the Rideau Centre.

Sep 19th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Virgin Entertainment Group Inc. will close its only Canadian store, located in Vancouver. The company had initially planned to expand ....

Thanks CorSter.