: TiBook

PirateMyke
Sep 10th, 2005, 11:31 PM
So just to move away from all the iPod excitement.. i thought i'd start a discussion:)

So TiBook's prices are a little unreasonable these days, considering you can get a iBook with almost the same featurs for half the price..

So, what makes TiBook's worth so much?

the extra screen size over the iBook?
the DVI port some model's sport?
the G4 chip? Thou some iBook's have that to!!!

what exactly make's the TiBook 400 -500 bucks more than a iBook?

Because in my opinion, i dont that 500 bucks for a 3 - 1 inch bigger screen, a G4 chip (In some cases) and a DVI is a good deal.

Heck most TiBook's i see on eBay are fricking destroyed... paints all chipped and such but still they want to much!!!

What do you guys/gal's think :)

TroutMaskReplica
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:53 AM
What do you guys/gal's think

don't buy a tibook. ;) you forgot to mention that apple effed up the engineering on the screen hinges, which are prone to breaking.

PirateMyke
Sep 11th, 2005, 01:04 AM
yup, another reason they should be cheap

thejst
Sep 11th, 2005, 01:13 AM
I had a tiBook for a while, and I really liked it. I thought that I would use it for school but then I realized that I would have to take it in a steel, padded briefcase and be so gentle with it that it wasn't worth the hassle. I traded it and bought an iBook instead. Much happier, but it was great to watch DVD's on the 15" screen for a little while.

You are right to say that the resale prices on them are way out of whack, especially the 400 and 500 and 550 models.

If you are thinking of buying one, I would say please beware. They are beautiful, sure, but beauty is only (cheap) paint deep.

in the words of MacDoc, "run away screaming.!!!"

thejst
Sep 11th, 2005, 01:16 AM
the following link demonstrates my point exactly...

https://www.ehmac.ca/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3477&sort=1&cat=3&page=1

PirateMyke
Sep 11th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Yup, Pretty but Evil ;)

duosonic
Sep 11th, 2005, 11:24 AM
well, yes, they are prone to particular problems, & I purchased my Tibook 667 on ebay for probably (in retrospect) too much money it seemed a good deal at the time, but I LOVE IT. At the time, the price was good for what I got (G4, airport, 15" screen, etc.); even though cosmetically it ain't great, it is a VERY serviceable machine that I haul around all over the place with me, is plenty powerful enough for what I do, & so far the hinges are fine. For some people, an ibook has what they need, but for some the "little extras" on a Tibook are necessary & they are still half the price (approximately) of a powerbook. I've certainly gotten my money's worth, & believe me I don't coddle it.

andreww
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:22 PM
There is nothing wrong with a tibook at a good price. I have one and I love it. Parts are readily available and the tibook is one of the easiest of apple's laptops to work on. The 15.2 inch screen is in my opinion the perfect size. Having said that, I agree that tibooks are generally overpriced, and I would opt for a G4 ibook if the price were similar.

PirateMyke
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Yea, im just trying to figure out what i should get :)

andreww
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM
If you are looking at tibooks I would not spend more than $1 per mhz. Tibooks made great strides in the video cards as the models advanced. They range from 8mb vram to 64mb in the 1ghz model, a huge jump. Appearance is important and some tibook wear better than others. The shell of the tibook is prone to dents an scratches, but some have paint that flakes off for no reason. Make sure you check the ethernet port as they have a habit of failing. As for the hinges, you just need to check that the are not too tight, so that when you open the lid while the computer is sitting flat, the base does not need to be held down.