: Hard Drive Comparison

macuserforlife
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm about to add a monster RAID hard drive array to my G5 tower and I'd like some comparison advice and experiences.

For around the same money I can get the Seagate 400G with the 8M cache or the Western Digital 400G with the 16M cache.

I know the Seagate is supposed to be superior but I'd like to know why. I'll be buying four of the same drives at the same time so as to RAID them so I need to get some good advice before going ahead. Is the Seagate reliability THAT much better? Will the Western Digital will fry itself within months? Is the cache size a big factor to consider?

Many thanks, in advance, for the advice.

Regards,

Bruce

ArtistSeries
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Seagates are less prone to failure. Yes they are that much better.
You can go to storagereview.com to see others experiences.
That said, there is a new WD made for raid that sounds interesting with a good warranty.

Cache does make a difference.

What kind of raid are you setting up?

macuserforlife
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah the Western Digital I'm looking at is the Caviar RE 2 with the five year warranty.

As for the type of RAID array I haven't decided yet whether to stripe or not. I'll have loads of space with four 400G drives but I use them to store all my DVD's, movies, pictures, etc so they'll fill up pretty quickly.

oryxbiker
Sep 9th, 2005, 08:14 PM
get the WD hardrives. i have had numerous WD drive's and haven't problems with any. the 16mb cache will give a very noticable performance boost. depending on your raid configuration, the performance might not be all that noticible. raid 0 is only useful if you are moving big files around, as in 1GB+. otherwise its actually slower. you could go with a raid 2-5. but i don't know to much about those. they basically stripped drives with oen back up drive that has important files on it, it acts as a mini raid 1.