: Would any new PB need to be "Stevied"

satchmo
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Steve Jobs usually makes the big unveiling of new stuff, but with the absence of a keynote presentation at MacWorld Paris, does that signal no stuff at all?

What if a PB 13.3" widescreen was to show up? Or is this too big of an update and needs to be rolled out by Steve. Could it be simply appear on their website? :)

tubby
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I don't think Steve has formally unveiled anything PB-related since the 12 & 17 inch models appeared. So, I think if it's just a speedbump/feature-bump it would just show up on the front page of the site... a la the latest iBook update.

If the screen is bumped up, or the whole line goes HD, I'm still guessing it's only web material.

The Nano will probably occupy the primo spot on Apple.com for at leat 2 or 3 weeks... so maybe we'll see new PBs on the Tuesday of the Paris Expo!!! (I can wish)

Tubbs

minnes
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:35 PM
The rumor sites are pretty sure there will be a powerbook update of some kind at this expo.
My personal opinion is that it may be a stopgap speedbump, kind of thing.

My question is that I thought that the G4 cpu spoeed was maxed out at 10 times the bus speed. The current G4s have 167 bus and 10 times that is 1.67GHz, so the question is what kind of updates could they do?
Maybe they will finally bump the bus speed to 200Mhz and bump these books to 1.8GHz or so. Maybe a video update to a newer Radeon or something, or updated wireless, bluetooth airport.
The best news would be the bus update to 200MHz, that would mean faster memory, and cpu bumps possible.
It is also possible that this could be the last G4 powerbook, so maybe it will be a good one.
Lots of questions and few facts available.

applebook
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
There are already 2GHz G4 upgrade chips from many suppliers.

minnes
Sep 8th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Wow, really, 2GHz G4s?
It would still be better to have the 200 Mhz bus, rather than just cranking the clock up on existing G4s

ShawnKing
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Steve Jobs usually makes the big unveiling of new stuff, but with the absence of a keynote presentation at MacWorld Paris, does that signal no stuff at all?
Not at all although it makes it less likely.