: Goodbye Brushed Metal, Hello Unified Metal

lpkmckenna
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Finally, I seem to be getting my way.

After the chaos of the ever-inconsistent Aqua interface, the new iTunes skin looks like a step in the right direction. Is this a sign of things to come, or just more of Apple's purposeless inconsistencies?

Pinstripe Aqua was too bright. Brushed Metal was too heavy.

Unified Aqua is good, but colorful buttons on gray looks odd. SysPrefs and HelpViewer look more natural than Mail. And inactive windows return to a faded-pinstripe look. Ugh.

Unified Metal (a la iTunes) is perfect. The gray gradient is excellent: not too dark, not too bright. The rounded corners are now more squared-off. The gray and glassy buttons look great over the gray gradient. Removing the unnecessary bezel at the sides was a great choice, too.

Of course, iTunes has some bizarre characteristics:

The splitter-bar on the right of the "source pane" is only a line, controlled by a gripping handle just below the "next song" button. However, the splitter-bar separating the "song pane" from the "genre/artist/album pane" is a beam with a "navel" gripping handle. Why the inconsistency? Now go mouse-over the gripping handles. Why the inconsistency?

The volume slider takes up too much room. A vertical slider would make more sense.

Command-Option-Shift-N for New Folder? Do I have that many fingers?

Option-Zoom still doesn't maximize the window, but does some odd almost-maximize-and-center thing.

I'm nitpicky about user interface. I hope iTunes is a nod in the direction Apple intends to go.

One last thing: why was iTunes changed to Unified Metal, but QuickTime wasn't?

trump
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I'm dreaming of the day that Safari looks like iTunes 5

lpkmckenna
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I'm dreaming of the day that Safari looks like iTunes 5Me too.

macsackbut
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Well, I've always been a fan of the brushed metal look, but I'll admit that I like the iTunes 5 interface. Very slick. IMO, the slightly darker grey in iTunes works better than the light grey in Mail.

Heart
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:11 PM
It lost a lot of curves :(

What is that option+zoom. (Zoom = Green Button)

Try Command + Zoom and then Option+Command+Zoom :)
Nicely centered, i think.

TroutMaskReplica
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:45 PM
i agree. i thought i was the only one who favored Tiger Mail over Panther Mail.

apple, i'm guessing, will be moving the finder and ilife over to the new UI look. too bad they didn't do it for Tiger's launch.

kent
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:07 PM
It looks like the dash of an Aston Martin ...

I've always thought those side panels or "drawers" were really cheesy ... now if only we could remove them from ical, address book etc. I like the new iTunes interface, perhaps this is a popularity test before Leopard gets released late next year.

keep it real...

lpkmckenna
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I've always thought those side panels or "drawers" were really cheesy ... now if only we could remove them from ical, address book etc. I like the new iTunes interface, perhaps this is a popularity test before Leopard gets released late next year.I don't think AddressBook has a drawer. And you can remove the drawer from iCal: under the Window menu item, the Detach Item option transforms the Item drawer into an Item palette. Cool, eh?

Of course, Apple continues to use drawers in new apps, like Pages, and Preview and Keynote 2 still have drawers. Shucks.

lpkmckenna
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Try Command + Zoom and then Option+Command+Zoom :)
Nicely centered, i think.Read my post again. Option-Zoom toggles the centered-and-almost-maximize.

Command-Zoom doesn't do anything. (More exactly, it does the same thing as just Zoom.)

Option-Command-Zoom doesn't do anything either. (Meaning it does the same as Option-Zoom.)

lpkmckenna
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Very soon, a "theme" will come out to convert everything to the new "Unified Metal." I bet the guy who made "Iridium" will be the one to do it. At least I hope so, since you didn't need ThemeChanger or ShapeShifter to apply it.

HowEver
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Is there anything that will change the stupid blue apple in the top left of the screen or the stupid magnifying glass in a circle in the top right? Give them an effect, change the colour, change the icon, anything?

tikibangout
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I like the blue apple and spotlight. Very soothing. I'm digging iTunes 5. I don't think i'd mind everything being Unified Metal.

trump
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:54 PM
well, since those icons never change spots....
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=145056&uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=sharpie&x=0&y=0&An=text

Macaholic
Sep 7th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Is there anything that will change the stupid blue apple in the top left of the screen or the stupid magnifying glass in a circle in the top right? Give them an effect, change the colour, change the icon, anything?

Check out the themer, Shapeshifter ( http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter ). If a Unified Metal theme comes out, it'll come out for Shapeshifter.

lpkmckenna
Sep 7th, 2005, 11:13 PM
well, since those icons never change spots....
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=145056&uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=sharpie&x=0&y=0&An=textDamn, that was funny! :D

lpkmckenna
Sep 7th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Check out the themer, Shapeshifter ( http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter ). If a Unified Metal theme comes out, it'll come out for Shapeshifter.Does this still require APE? I'm none too fond of APE.

Macaholic
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Sure do! http://deephousepage.com/smilies/doh.gif

TheAnalyst
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:28 AM
It seems that the Mac interface has been suffering a bout of schizophrenia.

One might say metal diseases by not adhering to it's parent and rule-book that is the Apple UI guidelines. Like all petulant teenagers, this phase shall past and it will conform, even if it breaks it's joyful spirit of the moment.

lpkmckenna
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:51 AM
It seems that the Mac interface has been suffering a bout of schizophrenia.I'm sure you mean Multiple Personality Disorder.One might say metal diseases by not adhering to it's parent and rule-book that is the Apple UI guidelines. Like all petulant teenagers, this phase shall past and it will conform, even if it breaks it's joyful spirit of the moment.It's been 6 years now. I hope the teenage years end soon.

i stole this name
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I love the look of the new itunes, but the last think apple needed was more clash.

I wish:

1) the topbar was smooth and not glossy in Tiger

2) All apps are either unified like mail/camino/adium OR in a matte-aluminium style finish. Making everything grey like the new itunes will just turn OS X into windows 95. Albeit iTunes as a single grey app looks good.

3) Drop the lame aqua references. Thank god the window buttons in Jaguar were changed to look more like buttons and less like water droplets. Then theres the minimization effect which liquidizes the window and pours it onto the dock. And last but not least is the ripple on dashboard - not that I ever even use dashboard. ENOUGH AQUA STUFF. What i DO like about aqua is the glasslike appearance of the scrollbars and window buttons, thats pretty much about it.

Well thats about it for my rant. I really hate the topbar in Tiger though, PLEASE make it smooth in the next release, apple.

TheAnalyst
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I'm sure you mean Multiple Personality Disorder.It's been 6 years now. I hope the teenage years end soon.

My dear Sir, your need for clarification is a sign of a healthy mind. My analogy of the Apple interface being schizophrenic was one that bothered me when I wrote it.
Let me explain: Most people associate Schizophrenia with Dissociative Identity Disorder (MPD is the former name). Now, both should not be confused. It fines that some people may have confused both as the analogy still works.

The basic thought structure of the Apple interface, or more precisicely, it's fragmentation and the pursuit of a real world experience of everyday objects (external) when a unique computer experience would do (internal), points to a dysfunction.

Many of my collegues believe that all teenagers show certain signs of disorders. Most adolescents turn out fine. My prognosis is that the Apple UI will also.

dona83
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I love the look of the new itunes, but the last think apple needed was more clash.

I wish:

1) the topbar was smooth and not glossy in Tiger

2) All apps are either unified like mail/camino/adium OR in a matte-aluminium style finish. Making everything grey like the new itunes will just turn OS X into windows 95. Albeit iTunes as a single grey app looks good.

3) Drop the lame aqua references. Thank god the window buttons in Jaguar were changed to look more like buttons and less like water droplets. Then theres the minimization effect which liquidizes the window and pours it onto the dock. And last but not least is the ripple on dashboard - not that I ever even use dashboard. ENOUGH AQUA STUFF. What i DO like about aqua is the glasslike appearance of the scrollbars and window buttons, thats pretty much about it.

1) I think it's just that you want it white because you still miss OS9 dearly. :) I for one like it.

2) NeoOffice looks like Windows 98, iTunes is fine :P

3) Downgrade your video card to one that doesn't support CoreImage and the ripple effect will never bother you again. :D

lpkmckenna
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:58 AM
My dear Sir, your need for clarification is a sign of a healthy mind.Oh the irony! I am recovering from clinical depression and panic disorder. But thanks for the complement anyways. :)

And I think I was actually trying to correct you, not seek clarification. I'm not psychiatrist, but a persistent need to be right by proving others wrong probably isn't a sign of a healthy mind.

Spending way too much time on ehMac criticizing the diction of others isn't too smart, either.

iPetie
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Is there anything that will change the stupid blue apple in the top left of the screen or the stupid magnifying glass in a circle in the top right? Give them an effect, change the colour, change the icon, anything?You can change the colour of those items in the system preferences to Graphite. That would also make scroll bars and buttons graphite as well.

TheAnalyst
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I am recovering from clinical depression and panic disorder.

Now, now, there, there...
Would you like to talk about that?
I did write that it was a "sign", a positive encouragement.

We all need uplifting reinforcements.
If you want to give a child a good feeling, you ask them "what's 2+2?".
If they answer "4", you make them feel good about themshelves by saying "that was a lucky guess". In this manner they will have a positive lucky feeling.

The Apple UI does need therapy, maybe a few group sessions would be in order.

TroutMaskReplica
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM
a persistent need to be right by proving others wrong probably isn't a sign of a healthy mind.

is it better to let everyone think they're right when they wrong? ;)

i'm no psychiatrist but i think the amount of time we all spend on these forums arguing about the minute details of the UI of an obscure computer operating system might be uncharacteristic of healthy minds ;)

lpkmckenna
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:36 AM
We all need uplifting reinforcements.True enough.Now, now, there, there... Would you like to talk about that?I hope that's not your method of "uplifting reinforcements."

lpkmckenna
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:10 PM
John Gruber (Daring Fireball) has done it again. F'n hilarious!!

link: http://daringfireball.net/2005/09/anthropomorphized

Macaholic
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Man, that's HILARIOUS! :D

HowEver
Sep 9th, 2005, 12:25 AM
You can change the colour of those items in the system preferences to Graphite. That would also make scroll bars and buttons graphite as well.

I just want the apple and spotlight icon to change. I like the red/yellow/blue buttons better than grey/grey/grey.

GratuitousApplesauce
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:28 AM
]ohn Gruber (Daring Fireball) has done it again. F'n hilarious!!
That was hilarious! I loved the drunken taunt from Aqua at the end. :D And - "Im the bad-ass theme. Im the one who flouts the Human Interface Guidelines!"

I was actually laughing out loud, when I realized that nobody else within a mile of me would probably even get the joke. Humour only an Apple fan could love. :)

Chealion
Sep 9th, 2005, 06:03 AM
John Gruber (Daring Fireball) has done it again. F'n hilarious!!

link: http://daringfireball.net/2005/09/anthropomorphized

Is it time to crack out that horrible Internet meme of calling something Comedy Gold? John Gruber is my hero.

Bilbo
Sep 9th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I was never a big fan of the brushed metal, it is so over used these days. I liked the aqua look okay but thought it was a bad idea on Apple's part mix the two. Make up your mind already, what's it gonna be?

I like the soft gray look very much. It's tasteful, it's subtle, silky smooth and easy on the eyes. I also think that this look will have a longer shelf life before it looks dated. Brushed metal already looks old and dated. Aqua while not bad, seemed a little "trendy" to me.

Yup, the soft gray is a hit in my opinion.

B

Brushed Metal = Roseanne Barr no class.

Aqua = Britney Spears too trendy and always looking for attention.

Soft Grey = Jessica Alba tasteful, classic good looks, even without make-up.

ArtistSeries
Sep 9th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I guess the MS XP interface is Pamela Anderson then....

Wonder when we will get Kathleen Turner, Sigourney Weaver or Charlize Theron...

i stole this name
Sep 9th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Or joan cusack.

i stole this name
Sep 9th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I guess the MS XP interface is Pamela Anderson then....

Gives a whole new meaning to security holes.

PosterBoy
Sep 9th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I like the new burnt unified theme. BUt I'll like it more if this is a step in the direction of a more consistent UI for Mac OS X. If this is a step in the direction of "ok guys, we give up, anything goes now" I will be quite disappointed.

lpkmckenna
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Hopefully the Finder is soon changed to this:

http://www.vastyles.com/ligerfinder.jpg

Chealion
Sep 10th, 2005, 02:21 AM
lpkmckenna - Now that's a Finder I can fall in love with. ;)

Macaholic
Sep 15th, 2005, 12:21 PM
SOmeone has created a Unfied metal "iTunes 5" inspired Shapeshifter theme:

http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/details.php?id=119

I'm running it now.

TroutMaskReplica
Sep 15th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I'm running it now.

screenshots please. (if you have time.)

Macaholic
Sep 15th, 2005, 12:54 PM
screenshots please. (if you have time.)

here ya go.

da_jonesy
Sep 15th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hopefully the Finder is soon changed to this:

http://www.vastyles.com/ligerfinder.jpg

Did you do that screenshot yourself? Or is it from some UI widget?

Macaholic
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Did you do that screenshot yourself? Or is it from some UI widget?

No. That is not his computer.

if you control-click on the picture and use the "open image In new Tab (or Window) command, the picture's URL will be in the new tab or window displaying it. I did this, and the link to that picture is: http://www.vastyles.com/ligerfinder.jpg

Now, the picture I attached to my previous post is a shot I did of my own screen.

da_jonesy
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:16 PM
No. That is not his computer.

if you control-click on the picture and use the "open image In new Tab (or Window) command, the picture's URL will be in the new tab or window displaying it. I did this, and the link to that picture is: http://www.vastyles.com/ligerfinder.jpg

Now, the picture I attached to my previous post is a shot I did of my own screen.

OK, so where did that first screenshot come from? Was it a mockup?

Macaholic
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM
OK, so where did that first screenshot come from? Was it a mockup?

Well, my guess is that the guy who owns that domain did it. It appears that he's a designer:

http://www.vastyles.com/portfolio/index.html