: "Creative Nano" exists. lawsuit?

Macaholic
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Holy crap! Please tell me Apple knew this and figured the ramifications of the iPod NANO out!

http://images.creative.com/iss/images/products/headers/prod12720_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=12720

Applelover
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Haha...that's pretty funny

i stole this name
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:19 PM
What ramifications, apple could buy creative's MP3 department 20 times.

Howard2k
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Wow! That's a shocker. Not sure what impact there will be from that. I would assume none.

Macaholic
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:25 PM
That's a little convenient. Microsoft can buy anybody 20 times over, but you can bet they hate going to court -- and it doesn't keep their arses out of court, either.

i stole this name
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:36 PM
McHugh would know that it would be the end of him to try a direct attack on the iPod. Apple could squish the Nomads.

Derrick
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Well ... Creative doesn't have to worry about customers confusing this item with Apple's newest addition ...

Creative is even further behind now.

Derrick
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:01 AM
There's a new nano in town and it's kicking a** and taking names. :)

Elric
Sep 10th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can patent a word like "Nano" can you? Wouldn't that be like patenting the word "Small"?

Macaholic
Sep 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can patent a word like "Nano" can you? Wouldn't that be like patenting the word "Small"?

Well, this event would seem to correct you (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97142,00.html) :)

Although... I don't know where things are at with this Apple Corp vs Apple Computer lawsuit. Anybody know if it is still in process? Has a verdict been reached?? I've not heard much about it in quite a while.

i stole this name
Sep 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7341/ipodnano1do3si.th.jpg (http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipodnano1do3si.jpg)

What about the original Shuffle design?

Macaholic
Sep 10th, 2005, 09:40 AM
LOL! Love that fan boi creation :D

Not as easy to use as the clickscroll wheel, however. In fact, the base of the device where you twist it around to scroll is exactly like this other Sony:

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/31343274-2-300-overview-1.gif

When I tried that Walkman at The Sony Store, I found it not as easy tom use as the iPod's wheel.

i stole this name
Sep 10th, 2005, 10:01 AM
True of course, but you must give the designer credit, they're not just following suit (no pun intended) - they're innovating.

At the time the shuffle was announced, people made designs that were either: completely ridiculous and fugly or scaled down iPods - This guy was being creative ;)

Macaholic
Sep 10th, 2005, 10:03 AM
It was a great attempt. I guess the nbest way to put it would be that it had the Apple "look", but not the Apple "feel" :) And there's NO WAY I could do better!

i stole this name
Sep 10th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Those sony's are fantastic except:

1) they're not Apple compatible

2) They don't have apple's signature ease-of-use

Sorry, sony! otherwise, a much better attempt than creative ;)

da_jonesy
Sep 10th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Well technically you wouldn't patent a name... You'd apply for a trademark. I would think that "iPod Nano" would be sufficiently different from "Nano" that Apple would be fine.

guytoronto
Sep 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Well technically you wouldn't patent a name... You'd apply for a trademark. I would think that "iPod Nano" would be sufficiently different from "Nano" that Apple would be fine.

If I was a judge, and this got brought before me, I'd slap down Apple.

Both are MP3 players. Both are named Nano. Creative came to market first. Differentiating "Creative Nano" and "iPod Nano"? Too similar.

Just like Windows and "Lindows". Apple Records vs. Apple. etc.

Could you confuse a Ford Escape, GM Escape, and the Chrysler Escape?

used to be jwoodget
Sep 10th, 2005, 08:41 PM
If I was a judge, and this got brought before me, I'd slap down Apple.

Both are MP3 players. Both are named Nano. Creative came to market first. Differentiating "Creative Nano" and "iPod Nano"? Too similar.

Just like Windows and "Lindows". Apple Records vs. Apple. etc.

Could you confuse a Ford Escape, GM Escape, and the Chrysler Escape?Er.. guytoronto, that's maybe why you ain't a judge :) Don't you think Apple thought of this before naming the device? It's a bitchslap aimed at the silly Creative CEO who "declared war" on Apple. Besides, the real loser is the poor kid at Christmas who asked for one of the new "nano" MP3 players and gets the Creative junk.... Maybe Robin Williams will sue Apple?

Also, if you check the Creative "product" it's a Creative Nano Plus. If anyone confuses that with an Apple iPod nano, then more fool them.

Derrick
Sep 10th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Macintouch has the following note:

"A quick search of the USPTO database reveals that Creative has trademarks on 'Zen' (78437344) and 'Zen Vision' (78436884), but not the Zen Nano."

milhaus
Sep 10th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I heard a rumor that the change and illustration was made 2 days in advance of the new iPod launch, after Kevin Rose had revealed that the Ipod Nano is in the works. Maybe a reason why they need to go after the rumour sites. Probably not true, but who knows.

Uh, never mind; apparently BS.

guytoronto
Sep 10th, 2005, 10:27 PM
if you check the Creative "product" it's a Creative Nano Plus. If anyone confuses that with an Apple iPod nano, then more fool them.

Not as clear cut as you would think...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/09/apple_vs_creative_nano/

used to be jwoodget
Sep 11th, 2005, 01:55 AM
Creative's CEO certainly has time on his hands since he isn't exactly having to work the production lines 24 hours a day. Indeed, lawsuits may be the company's only activity as it sinks into irrelevance. I do think it was a cheap shot by Jobs to slight Creative in this way, but if you watch the Quicktime broadcast of the event, he actually compares the size of the iPod nano to iRiver, Creative, Samsung and Sony players by name (Samsung is ironic since it's the comapany that makes the 2Gb NAND flash chips and sells them to Apple at a volume discount that enables the iPod nano to be so cheap - for a flash based player). Apple has a 6-8 month advance on the pricing. Jobs has made this personal. Indeed, he positively brags about the dominance of the ipod and iTunes. No sign of humility or giving an inch. This is a very serious comeptitive environment and Apple is playing hardball. I think we'll see another iPod release at the high end before American Thanksgiving.

Derrick
Sep 11th, 2005, 02:22 AM
This is a very serious comeptitive environment and Apple is playing hardball. I think we'll see another iPod release at the high end before American Thanksgiving.

I think that part of the reason for his strong words at the event was that the audience was comprised of media and analysts ... I think Steve wanted to put an end to all the 'iPod/ITMS is going to be surpassed by some competitor in the near future' nonsense that several naysayers have been spouting about lately.

I agree that we will likely see a change to the full-size iPod line before long ... there hasn't really been any major changes to the line since summer 2004 ... I'm a bit surprised that the ROKR seems to be a disappointment ... although the nano more than makes up for it.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if 10+ million iPods are sold in the upcoming Christmas quarter.