: G3 Powerbook 'Lombard'

Sun Dog
Sep 7th, 2005, 03:07 PM
I'm thinking of buying one of these off of ebay for university, but I've heard rumours that these are very unreiable hardware wise. Can anyone confirm these claims, or recomend a model for me? I don't want to spend more than $250 on this at the moment...

Thanks in advance

maximusbibicus
Sep 7th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't go for it. Try and jump to a Pismo. FW is priceless (for me at least). You aren't too far away from getting a 500MHZ Dual USB iBook .

xorpion
Sep 7th, 2005, 03:42 PM
i agree with max, see if you can find a deal on a dual usb. or any white ibook g3.

Sun Dog
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys

Hmm I don't think I need firewire though... or much else. All I plan on using it for is word processing i.e. working on essays when I'm away from home. I have a nice G5 Cheese Gratter at home for everything else. I'll just transfer my work from the laptop via ethernet if I have to every day when I get home.

However, I want something reliable, within reason... lately it seems all Apple computers are 'ify'... are the G3 laptops less reliable than other Apple comps? I mean, I just want something cheap, but if it breaks down catastrophically every year, it's not worth it no matter how cheap...

Rob
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I haven't heard anything bad about Lombards other than age. There were two versions (333Mhz and 400Mhz). The slower one only had 512K cache while the 400 has 1Mb cache. Other than that they should be similar.
These will run great on OS9. If you have to run X full time then you should save for a newer/faster laptop.

They have a PC card slot so you can add a Firewire card or wireless card if you need it. They're not that expensive any more.

$250 for a used Lombard is a pretty good price if it's in good shape. A Pismo is still hard to find for under $400.

Oops, just noticed you were planning to buy off eBay. That's a big mistake for a laptop. There's no way to judge the screen quality over the internet. If the screen is dim, fuzzy, or off colour then the whole laptop will be worthless. If you buy used make sure you can test the screen image before you buy. That isn't possible through eBay.

robert
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:45 PM
the usb ports were problematic on the first lombards. The kicker is the battery. Expensive to replace. The G3 500 ibook ad no problems I'm aware of and is 1 pound lighter and longer/double the battery life. That is what I'd get if I were you.

mmp
Sep 7th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I've owned both a Pismo and a Wallstreet II and the Pismo is the way to go for sure for the few extra bucks. Having Firewire opens your world to fast and relatively inexpensive CD burners (necessary for back-ups) and for external hard drives, also fairly necessary for hard drive space (your iTunes library can just about eat your entire Pismo hard drive). A couple of things to consider. :)

Sun Dog
Sep 8th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Thanks all! Definitely many considerations...

Rob, you're right, I did not think of the screen issue. However, I'm looking at local laptops and they seem to be 200% more than off of ebay... really inflated. Way out of my range. I might just have to take my chances... or skip it for now, or buy a cheaper PC.