: AppleCare Expiry Date?

uwbill
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Hay guys,

I just bought a Mac Mini from an Apple Reseller in China and planning to bring it back to Canada with me. However, when I checked the AppleCare status under Apple.com -> support it says "AppleCare expires on April 18, 2006"... why??? I've only just bought it! Anyone experienced this kind of problem before?

Thanks a lot!

Derrick
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Apple just estimates when it was purchased ... I went through this with my PB ... I called them and faxed the invoice so they would have record of the actual purchase date.

comprehab
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:24 AM
I am currently having an issue with the apple website not recognizing my powerbook's apple care status which was enrolled in Europe. It is being resolved but i think it is stupid that apple Europe and apple North america aren't more compatible.

Chealion
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:41 AM
uwbill - FWIW, AppleCare is first calculated from when it is manufactured until the computer is registered with Apple (that's what that registration screen does when you first start up the screen and let it connect to Apple). If it registered within one year of the original manufactured one year warranty, the AppleCare will start then since very few people would ever get their computer immediately after being manufactured.

Your best bet is to register the Mac mini yourself and see if it changes, however if the computer has been hooked up to the net and registered when it was set up (eg. demo model) the warranty would have been "tripped". That said armed with a bill of sale that shows the date when it was purchased should be able to get around this tripping of the warranty.

uwbill
Sep 6th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks guys! the only concern i have is that the invoices used in china are significantly different from those in North America and they're in CHINESE!!! i doubt the sales in canada would recognize them...