: Shipping a Power Mac

jfpoole
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Has anyone shipped a Power Mac without its original packaging before? How much pain is involved?

tikibangout
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. If thats not a choice for you, i'd look into some styrofoam packing material or something.

stillmot
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I've done it before and while it is a hassle, it works just fine. Just be extra careful and take your time in packing. Remember to wrap the unit first if your packing with anything that could crumble and get inside the case. With a large box that leaves plenty of room around the edges, it should not be much of a problem.

jonmon
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:51 PM
there was a person giving away a g5 box in the classifieds a while back
check that or maybe ebay one for cheap
i shipped my ibook in its original box and that was a breeze
no need to worry about padding

interact
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Shipped a G4 Power Mac from Vancouver to Calgary - then back. All in all, it was an expensive nightmare. Used a ton of towels to protect the unit, but it was no replacement for the original box.

comprehab
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:09 AM
I have had one shipped to me in an original box and it arrived fine and i have also shipped one- used a box from an LCD monitor and cut some huge chunks of styro foam to size. It worked out great.

MacGYVER
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:33 AM
When I had my PowerMac G4, I shipped it from Ontario to B.C. and back again.

Here is what I did:

1) Measured the size of box I needed (Took the dimensions of the PowerMac)

2) I went and bought a square heavy cardboard box, sturdy enough to withstand a few bumps. (Making sure the dimensions of the box were a little bigger then the dimensions of the PowerMac)

3) I placed masking tape over the door of the PowerMac so that it wouldn't open by accident.

4) Since I was moving myself and not selling my PowerMac, I used clothing (sweaters, etc...) and bubble wrap all around the PowerMac inside the box. You want to put the PowerMac in the centre of the box, so that you can plug all 4 sides with foam? Heavy bubble wrap or in my case lots of clothing. You want to make sure there is no space for the PowerMac to move around inside the box.

You want to prevent the PowerMac from moving inside the box, no matter how the box is handled. Also, make sure you tape the entire box, including all corners, cracks etc.... this is to prevent any moisture in getting inside the box.

*** Whatever you do, don't lay the PowerMac on its side while in the box, have it standing straight up, and have all 4 sides padded all around it ***

Once you have it packed, the BIG question is, where do you want to ship it to?

I can tell you right now, shipping costs will be expensive no matter who you go with. I ended up using a freight forwarder instead of the usual UPS, FedEx or god for bid Canada Post. For the price I paid, I had pick up service at my house and delivery service to my place in B.C. at no extra cost. Plus they actually called me to see if I was going to be home that day or not to accept the package.

In the end, my PowerMac G4 came to me in one piece, the box looked the same as the day I had packed it (no damage). The service was excellent for pick up and delivery of my package.

That is what I did for shipping it across the country, obviously if you're just shipping it short distance you would use maybe UPS or FedEx.