: Should I get Tiger?

mr.steevo
Sep 5th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Hi,

My brother-in law just got Tiger for his 1Ghz PowerBook and he says it made it considerably faster. He lives in another city and so I haven't seen it. He also has the tendency to get over enthusiastic over anthing new, so I take what he says with caution. Should I get Tiger for my 1Ghz iBook or is the graphics card too slow to make any improvement?

I would really prefer objective answers that have fact behind them rather than "Tiger rocks!" and "Do it, dude!". Thanks.

s.

Fink-Nottle
Sep 5th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Hi,

I do tech support for a living and I would certainly recommend Tiger. It is faster on ALL hardware and is generally a little more polished than its predecessor. The new features aren't bad either.

Cheers!

PirateMyke
Sep 5th, 2005, 06:29 PM
i use Tiger on a iMac DV 400MHz and it runs very fast on it with no flaws!! i'd recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade!

iPetie
Sep 5th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Yes, definately! Every iteration of X has seen vast improvements and Tiger is no exception. You will notice a difference and as Fink-Nottle pointed out, the new features alone are very nice.

Gerbill
Sep 5th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Absolutely, upgrade to Tiger, but be aware that there are a few minor bumps in the road. Some applications need to be updated, some drivers need to be replaced - really just the usual stuff. Make sure that you have a good backup of your present install, preferably a bootable clone on an external hard drive.

pingpong
Sep 5th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I recently upgraded to Tiger and I see no difference in performance. If you like Spotlight and Dashborad, you may want to have a try, otherwise, you won't feel any difference. It's not worth the money.

Peter Sensei
Sep 5th, 2005, 07:34 PM
I recently upgraded to Tiger and I see no difference in performance. If you like Spotlight and Dashborad, you may want to have a try, otherwise, you won't feel any difference. It's not worth the money.

I also recently upgraded to tiger and noticed only a slight increase in speed, I then added to my memory (256+512) the combo gives a huge increase in speed and tiger loves it. Go for the upgrade you will see an increase in speed but remember memory will also make a VERY noticable increase.

krs
Sep 5th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I installed Tiger on a second drive in my 'ancient' 450M G4 which has a graphics card that is probably older than yours (still the original one).
I saw a very noticable increase in speed, but I also have 1.12 Gig of RAM installed. From the previous posts it sounds as if lots of RAM is critical to get the speed bump - you may want to think about upping yours to see the speed benefit of Tiger.

mr.steevo
Sep 5th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Hi

Thanks for the comments. Now the problem is do spend the money on Tiger or would I be better off with upping the RAM by 512mb?

I'll have to think about it.

Thanks again.

s.

Pelao
Sep 5th, 2005, 08:45 PM
mr.steevo

What do you use your Mac for?

I have Tiger on both PBs. I have not had any issues. I have not yet upgraded on our eMac. I simply don't yet see the need. If you are happy enough with Panther, and cash is an issue, pile in the Ram for now. This is the simplest way to improve performance.

jdurston
Sep 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I have tiger on my Powermac G3 350. Tiger actually gave it a new lease on life instead of making it feel older. I have quite a bit of RAM installed.

AppleAuthority
Sep 5th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Well no matter what OS X installation, 256 MB of Ram is bare minimum. 512 MB makes Tiger fairly quick, but more will turn it into one heck of a speedy cat. 1 GB is generally a nice amount to have.

No matter your graphics card, Tiger should increase speed. Look at the other things too, 200+ new features for $160. Did Windows XP have 200+ new features over Windows 2000? And did it cost as little as $160? Think about it. And these 200+ aren't just minor enhancements, but things that dramatically increase productivity. Sure Dashboard and Spotlight are the main ones everyone talks about, but what about the extra stuff you don't even know about? Like the new 'Stealth Mode' in the Firewall? Or even just the more polished interface (even the Menu Bar looks better)? These are all parts of the 200+ new features that make the upgrade from Panther to Tiger all the better.

And knowing the line of OS X upgrades, Leopard will probably be even better, I'm guessing it'll pack 250+ new features. And it probably will still retail for $160.

Daktari
Sep 5th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Personally on my powerbook 1Ghz, 1GB RAM, Tiger feels a slower than Panther. Perhaps I am the only one? Starting up takes longer and I get the spinning beach ball much more often. This is from a clean install of Tiger and yes, I have run all the maintenance programs on it.

HowEver
Sep 5th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Try using a friend's Tiger-upgraded Mac.

Then get your friend to search for a file using Spotlight.

You'll buy Tiger.

I don't use the hierarchical window structure anymore to look for/open files, only to save new files.

Macaholic
Sep 5th, 2005, 09:44 PM
I don't use the hierarchical window structure anymore to look for/open files, only to save new files.

Yeah, I'm still running Panther on Frankenmac, but use Tiger on Minifrankenmac here and there. I'll be moving Frankie to Tiger later this week, and from what I've seen with Tiger, I'll tweaking and using my Dock to access files and applications A LOT LESS thanks to Spotlight. it offers to really improve accessing data -- and not just in those traditional "search" scenarios, but any time you want to access anything.

Strimkind
Sep 5th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I updated to tiger a few weeks ago on my iBook with only 256MB RAM and noticed an increase in speed. However, as usual programs do not work, like dreamweaver and iTunes is crashing its first start-up. Other than that, it is good.

MACSPECTRUM
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Personally on my powerbook 1Ghz, 1GB RAM, Tiger feels a slower than Panther. Perhaps I am the only one? Starting up takes longer and I get the spinning beach ball much more often. This is from a clean install of Tiger and yes, I have run all the maintenance programs on it.

1. define "all"
2. have you tried creating a RAM disk using Tiger Cache Cleaner? I would suggest 256 MB. I have a 1.5 GHz 1 GB RAM PB and the RAM disk made a big difference when using Tiger.
3. Did you use OnyX to set Safari to "fast?"

I also have an iMac 400 DV 512 MB RAM and Tiger is slow, as is Panther.

GWR
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I have noticed alot more problems upgrading my G4 500 (AGP) with 640mb ram from Panther to Tiger than I did when upgrading from Jaguar to Panther. Jaguar to Panther went very smoothly, made a big difference in speed and usability, whereas with the upgrade to Tiger from Panther (Clean install on a seperate partition) I've actually had my computer freeze on me 4 or 5 times already, I haven't noticed any difference in speed and I have a few app.'s that will not work. Even after using a bunch of maitenance programs. If it weren't for Dashboard, Spotlight, and the new Mail program (it just looks so much better!), and a few other nice little touches to the user interface, I would move back to Panther. I'm just hoping that Apple will work out all the little bugs (computer freezing) with their software updates (I'm currently running 10.4.2 right now).

Klaatu
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:08 PM
To me it's simple

Just get more RAM

Tiger busted a lot of my 3rd party software and there was no notable speed increase. But a gig of ram will make a world of difference for the same price.

krs
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:27 AM
The last few comments in this thread got me going on Tiger again. I decided to go real easy step-by-step.
First thing I was going to do is surf using Safari 2.01 rather than Firefox on Jaguar. Imported the bookmarks from Firefox - that worked foine and quickly.
BTW -booting up in Tiger took only 50 seconds on the 450M G4, I thought that was quite impressive.
But then I ran into the first problem with Tiger. The monitor and computer went to sleep after the default timeout and the computer will not wake up again. What is the fix for that?
After I turned off the Mac usng the power button and rebooted - second problem...only one of my hard drives showed up on the desktop, the drive with all my files on it didn't. I launched disk utility but all I got was the spinning beachball forever.
Then used force quit on disk utility and launched it again. Both hard drives showed up in disk utility, I repaired permissions on both and now the second hard drive shows up on the desktop.
Hmmmm......not the greatest start with Tiger...but I shall continue.

mr.steevo
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:34 AM
mr.steevo

What do you use your Mac for?

I have Tiger on both PBs. I have not had any issues. I have not yet upgraded on our eMac. I simply don't yet see the need. If you are happy enough with Panther, and cash is an issue, pile in the Ram for now. This is the simplest way to improve performance.

Hi,

This iBook gets a great workout surfing the net and using Word. That's about it.

s.

DBerG
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Spotlight alone is worth the 160$ ;) maybe not that much, anyway. My dock is almost empty (otherwise I'd have over 50 apps in it), so I use Spotlight to start an app. Easy, Apple + Space, Type : StarCraft, for instance, and down arrow and enter, boom! Almost as fast as the dock but without cluttering it.

Daktari
Sep 6th, 2005, 02:58 AM
1. define "all"
2. have you tried creating a RAM disk using Tiger Cache Cleaner? I would suggest 256 MB. I have a 1.5 GHz 1 GB RAM PB and the RAM disk made a big difference when using Tiger.
3. Did you use OnyX to set Safari to "fast?"

I also have an iMac 400 DV 512 MB RAM and Tiger is slow, as is Panther.

1. Using TCC, ONYX.
2. I tried the RAM disk when MacDoc made a thread about it. There was no noticeable improvement,
3.Yes

I like Tiger, Sportlight does it for me but speed wise Tiger is at a disadvantage to Panther IMO.

MacDoc
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:18 AM
You have something wrong with your machine then as Tiger is significantly faster than Panther. Perhaps you have some bad blocks on your drive or interleaved files.

mamamac
Sep 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM
thank you all for helping me to decide about getting Tiger....
will be buying it at the end of the month.

this site has wonderful information for us oldie newbies :)