: Next-gen PowerBook enclosure designs?

zurich
Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:51 PM
Hey all,

Saw this topic somewhere else and figured I'd get some ehMacers to weigh in:

What do you think the next gen (ie: Intel) PowerBooks will look like? Stay with the "metal" theme, and if so, stay Aluminum? Or will Apple go back to black (as a metal?)

Personally, I think we're going to see 13.3", 15", 17" as the PowerBook lineup (with 13.3" being widescreen). Same backlit keyboards on all the models. Maybe a gun metal black of some sort, or a different hue of silver.

Ofcourse, if anyone could do a "gold" laptop (LOL - bling), Apple could do it ;) Would definitely justify the price premium!

iPetie
Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:26 PM
I agree completely that the lineup will have a 13.3 widescreen.
As far as the design goes, hard to say. Topping the current from an appearance perspective will be tough. If you look at the design, it's still way ahead of any competitor.

The ALBooks are beautiful, but many complain they are not rugged and get dinged quite easily. Mine has proven durable and very easy to keep clean and looking new.

AppleAuthority
Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:53 PM
I'd like to see gunmetal PowerBooks. And a 13.3" is a nice size, although I really like the compactness of my 12", and power it packs. I hope Apple doesn't mess up.

Jacklar
Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:55 PM
a gold powerbook would look sooooooooo bad

zurich
Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:17 PM
LOL I was thinking about that as I typed it, but also thought that if anyone could make a Gold Powerbook look good, it was Apple :P

13.3 inch widescreen PowerBook would be _hot_.

I always kind of hoped that a G5 PowerBook would have the same "cheese grader" look as the PowerMacs, at least subtly. I don't know, it's really hard to improve upon a great thing (ie: the current design).

Dare I wonder if the next PowerBook track pads will have right and left touch sensors? ;)

yuwing
Sep 4th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I like the compactness of powerbook 12", i want a 11" with widescreen instead!

kloan
Sep 4th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Well, you could always strip the anodize finish on the housing, and get it anodized in any colour you want! :) Or you could polish it to a nice mirror shine... but the fingerprints would be worse than they are now of course....

I think a nice black anodized finish would be nice.. hmm.... my warranty just ran out, maybe when I upgrade my hdd I'll do that... hehe..

rbrumble
Sep 4th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Gold ipods didn't sell very well, did they? IMO gold is a little too "pimp my 'puter" for me.

yatko
Sep 4th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Well since in theory or practically OSx will be able to run on any Intel Laptop, I think Apple will distinguish the new design to make it attractive and justify the higher price tag.

Silver is now overplayed(80% of the Intel laptops are silver). So it must be something screaming in terms of design

Vexel
Sep 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Adamantium ;) That's my vote :D

i stole this name
Sep 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I think they'll stick to aluminium, its the symbol for the power series - unless the powermacs were also changed. either way - i think silver is it.

Applelover
Sep 4th, 2005, 09:26 PM
I hope they offer different colour options as a build to order option. Something like what that website....I think it's colorwarepc.com offers. Imagine a powerbook in ferrari red?!

tubby
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the iApp brushed aluminum theme all began roughly when the TiBook was released... probably to coincide with the grey/brushed pro hardware.

As of yesterday, iTunes 5 dropped the brushed aluminum look for the Tiger-y dark plastic. Mail also sports the plasticy look. Looks like this may be the coming trend for Apple apps.

I'm suspecting that maybe Apple is planning to abort the metal look for a shiney plastic (or buffed metal). Why? Well, the PM G5 weighs a ton. Maybe they enclosure design of the G4s made more sense. My favorite enclosure of all time was the Quicksilver (mmm, so minimalist and sexy).

As for the PBs, maybe a simular material to the iBooks would be smart. The Aluminum PBs look soooo awesome, but I've heard people complain about scratches, dents, and warped chassis. PLUS, with the Intel chips, heat shouldn't be an issue anymore, so the metal enclosure won't be required as a giant heatsink.

Comments?

Tubbs