: Finder resizing?

i stole this name
Sep 2nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
Ok so i decided that space was too limited on the 12" screen of my iBook to leave the finder windows as they are. As a result, i changed the default font size to 10, packing the icons closer, and sized the windows down...

Now, i realise that not all the windows are that size, and a good few (including all those 'reveal in finder' spotlight results) are still at their original default size, any way to change this actual size?

HowEver
Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:36 AM
I take it your eyesight is exceptional.

i stole this name
Sep 4th, 2005, 03:37 AM
No, just apple's icons are ludicrously oversized in comparison to that of Gentoo and Windows :P

Macaholic
Sep 4th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Did you specify the changes to affect all windows in the Finder's View Options? make sure you tweak down all three view modes with this options window open (icon, list and column views).

joltguy
Sep 4th, 2005, 08:59 AM
No, just apple's icons are ludicrously oversized in comparison to that of Gentoo and Windows :P
They may be over-sized, but they are also a helluva lot sexier. ;)

As for your problem, if you have customized any folder views with the option set to "This window only" then they will retain those unique settings (including font size) even after you make a new customization with the "All windows" option. There may be a more automatic way to do this, but here's what I've done in the past: Every time you find one of the windows with the wrong font size, just hit Cmd+J and change the option to "All windows", leaving the other settings as they are. Eventually, all your windows will be uniform. Hope this helps!

Macaholic
Sep 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM
They may be over-sized, but they are also a helluva lot sexier.

And fully scalable. So I don't get where his comment's coming from.

Jordan
Sep 4th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Have you tried Desktop Manager
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21594
It allows up to 6 virtual desktops, so you can keep your Finder (full screen if you want) open in one and use the others for your other stuff.

i stole this name
Sep 4th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I dont think people get my problem:

Macaholic: im not complaining about the size of the icons, i like it

Joltguy: all the stuff inside the windows is already formatted to my liking (icon and font size etc) its just that the finder windows themselves by default are huge and i end up having to resize every new folder or spotlight-opened folder window.

Macaholic
Sep 4th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Oh. Well, what about hitting the green button on a window? Does that not optimize the size of the window for the content contained therein?

i stole this name
Sep 4th, 2005, 03:38 PM
It doesnt. just stretches the thing to heck. also, i'd prefer it if you did not talk back in a condescending way - no one is forcing you to help.

Macaholic
Sep 4th, 2005, 04:09 PM
also, i'd prefer it if you did not talk back in a condescending way - no one is forcing you to help.

HUH?! No offense intended. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/outtahere.gif