: One thing Mac does take from Windows but makes it better.

dona83
Aug 31st, 2005, 09:09 PM
Windows gets the BSOD... Blue Screen of Death.

MacOSX gets the TGSODIFDL.... Transluscent Graphite Screen of Death in 5 Different Languages. :)

What happened was that i was trying to change the Sound to my Bluetooth headset, set up output, set up input, finacee could hear me but I couldn't hear her, so tried going back to output again, System Preferences froze, tried to Force Quit, tried to Force Quit again, then bam. Crash.

So first crash in 2 months, better than my former Windows PC crashing every 2 hours. :)

tikibangout
Aug 31st, 2005, 10:02 PM
hahahaha. poor mac

AppleAuthority
Aug 31st, 2005, 10:06 PM
Well there you go! Apple took this idea, and made it better. Just like Fast User Switching, and.....ummm.....what else? Well you get the point. Microsoft took a lot of Apple's ideas, now it's time to level the playing field :D.

comprehab
Aug 31st, 2005, 10:10 PM
I used to get that grey screen with all the languages on my imac G3 233. I threw it out though....

andrewenterprise
Aug 31st, 2005, 11:09 PM
Good ol iMac 233's. I got that screen alot on mine too. I found someone to pay $75 for it though. They used it for parts.

TroutMaskReplica
Aug 31st, 2005, 11:09 PM
Well there you go! Apple took this idea, and made it better. Just like Fast User Switching, and.....ummm.....what else?

i find fast user switching in tiger is about a hundred times slower than it was in panther.

anyone else notice this?

also, logouts, shutdowns, and putting the machine to sleep can literally take forever. i frequently have to open up the terminal and kill the dock before anything starts to happen. this happens on the only two machines i've installed tiger on.

lot's more garbled video card artifacts ala windows too. again, on both machines.

i think os x is developing too fast for quality control to keep up.

Elias26
Aug 31st, 2005, 11:15 PM
Congratulations on 1,000 posts Mikey! You big nutty clown!

As for experiencing crashes. I have only experienced one that I can recall since getting my G5 PowerMac in February 2005. I wonder how many PC owners can say that. :D

TheBat
Aug 31st, 2005, 11:16 PM
I must be lucky - no Win XP Pro crash in 3 years, no Mac crash in that same time frame. Maybe I'm just leaving a well running system alone...

dona83
Aug 31st, 2005, 11:16 PM
This is my first Mac so I can't attest to that. I do know that putting my iBook to sleep doesn't take forever, I close the notebook and within a second the LED light starts snoring.

Elias26
Aug 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM
TheBat also depends on what kind of machine you own and how hard you on it, like how many applications you run at one time. I have the frequent problem of opening a crapload of applications at the same time and some of these are bigger apps.

I think a lot of it has to do how you run your machine. My system crash happened when I switched up from Panther 10.3.9 to Tiger 10.4. When I first booted my G5 tower (notice I mention G5 a lot *pride*) it crashed. However, for whatever reason the second time around it booted up with no problems so I have no idea what happened initially.

yuwing
Aug 31st, 2005, 11:28 PM
my winxp doesn't crash... it's pretty stable. but explorer.exe glitches up.... 100% cpu....loads of viruses and spyware...... IE keeps getting toolbars ..... too much reformats and a lot of registry crap to delete to fully uninstall some programs...
installed really bad written software that messes up the system... loads of tweaks to get it run "better".... maintanence work is a daily chore....

hoepfully my new ibook won't need none of that. but i heard OS X needs to be turned on 24/7 for it to initiate maintanence or something like that.... to repair permissions and stuff like that... i need to learn this stuff... does anyone have a site i can read all about this? I don't want it to slow down :)

Elias26
Aug 31st, 2005, 11:32 PM
Wow! For a Mac community there sure is a lot of PC owners here! *shudders*

Seriously, what's up with that? heh

DBerG
Sep 1st, 2005, 12:09 AM
Soon to be switchers, I was one two weeks ago, now I've hooked up my 17 CRT ultra-big display and it's a dream!!!!!!

since84
Sep 1st, 2005, 12:21 AM
hoepfully my new ibook won't need none of that. but i heard OS X needs to be turned on 24/7 for it to initiate maintanence or something like that.... to repair permissions and stuff like that... i need to learn this stuff... does anyone have a site i can read all about this? I don't want it to slow down :)
There are lots of shareware/freeware programs out there that will run the scripts in the background while your Mac is awake, so you don't have to leave it on all night for the built-in "cron" scripts to run.
Macaroni and MacJanitor are two commonly-used ones.

Chealion
Sep 1st, 2005, 01:55 AM
Well I'd say since Jaguar the kernel panic screen has been a lot nicer looking. Though I do have an attachment to seeing console output starting to flow over top of your screen.

Call me 'Sherman'
Sep 1st, 2005, 04:15 AM
The only thing I regret about it is that we're never gonna be able to take a screen shot of it to show the rest of the world... so long front page news: Mac crashes :D

ciao

dona83
Sep 1st, 2005, 04:20 PM
I'll try to recreate the crash and use my digital camera to take a picture. LCDs are picture-takable. :)

elmer
Sep 2nd, 2005, 04:21 PM
I got the TGSODIFDL once - I was plugging in all the cables (USB to a hub with several things on it, Firewire drive, VGA and power), waking up my bluetooth mouse, and opening the screen latch to wake the PowerBook from sleep, all at the same time. I still do that sort of thing now and then, but I never get TGSODIFDL; but there have been a few updates since. I also saw the Jaguar BSOD once. I've had a few unstoppable spinning beach balls too. All in all it doesn't add up to a lot of downtime - maybe 5 minutes in 2.5 years.
BTW, as a programmer I think having a translucent panic message is really gutsy. We should find out who made that decision and buy him or her a beer.