: Can window's users view QuickTime in email client?

TroutMaskReplica
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
it's been years since i've used window.

i want to send out a short video clip that i've encoded using a quicktime codec. can windows users watch this video inside their email client? what i want to avoid is having PC users coming back to me whining they can't open it, which is almost certain to happen unless the video starts playing automagically inside their email client.

let's assume for the sake of argument that most windows users will use the email client that comes embedded in windows (i think it's called OutLook?)

chealion, if i've posted here in error and this belongs in troubleshooting would you kindly move it?

thanks in advance.

Howard2k
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:49 PM
If Quicktime is installed on their system they will see the object embedded in the email as a QT item. They double-click it and it will play in Quicktime.

It requires:
* QT to be the specified play for that file extension
* QT to have the right codecs installed

Is the file ONLY viewable in QT? Will WMP not play it?

TroutMaskReplica
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:53 PM
would it be better to use a windows media player codec?

jicon
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I've never seen a Quicktime or Media Player file encoded in to an email on Windows. Either way, I think the people getting the file will need to do some doubleclicking.

Better chance that the folks will see the video if encoded in WMP. Not all windows machines have Quicktime installed. Almost all have Windows Media Player.

Funny thing on the embedded movie stuff... I don't think its ever worked in a mail client. However, for years, scripts could be run in Windows email clients, potentially a cause of data being overwritten or they could be set to download a virus laden file off of a server.

Of course, VBScript is now disabled.
Now even HTML is set to not even display graphics in an email window, unless the graphic is right clicked and set to display.

Vexel
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM
If it's a quicktime file I'm sending. I just provide the link to the player. If they don't have it, they sure will sometime.. as a lot of the stuff on the web is quicktime based.

ArtistSeries
Aug 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Outlook with the latest security updates will not let you download images, unless you request them. It will not play embedded media. Media player is included with every PC, QT has to be downloaded and not every client will have bothered to install it.