: new ibook...run anti virus or not?

spotted dogs
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I have just got my first ibook (G4)..I'm totally stoked but want to know if I should be running an anti virus on it...I'm getting mixed feedback..everything from none to Norton...anu opinions? I will be running adsl from telus.
thanks,!!

adam1185
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:02 PM
none, you don't need it

macsackbut
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Hi SD. Congrats on your new iBook.

Most people will tell you that there are no OS X viruses in the wild. Personally, therefore, I don't feel there's a need right now to be overly zealous when it comes to anti-virus scanning. But realistically, it's only a matter of time. It all depends on how concerned you are about it.

However, if you're sharing files with Windows users (such as Word documents that could contain macro viruses and such), then it might be a good idea to have some sort of anti-virus strategy. Since I fall into this category, I pay for an anti-virus option with my server, the advantage of which is that there's no AV software bogging down my system. You'd have to check to see if Telus offers such a service. Otherwise, you can always check out <a href="http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/" target="_blank"> ClamXav</a>, which has the advantage of being free.

Whatever you do, stay away from Norton, unless you feel your machine's running too fast and want to slow it down.

Hope this helps.

MacS

spotted dogs
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I know telus has a full security bundle that is free for a year...I guess that would be an option.