: 20 inch LCD Monitor

Rush
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of any decent 20 inch LCD monitors for a decent price. The Apple one is awesome, but I just can't afford that.

Rush

Commodus
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Dell's 2005FPW display is an option, but to get the best price you'll have to wait for it to go on a substantial sale; right now it's at $764, but you'll occasionally see it as low as $600. You may occasionally be able to scour the online coupon sites for a Dell Canada coupon that covers displays, but that's considerably less likely.

The only real issue with the Dell display (aside from that somewhat cheap look) is the question of quality. I have one, and it was fine out of the box, but I've seen instances where people had to RMA the display (in a few cases, more than once) to get an acceptable unit. Those instances have probably decreased in number over time, but it still means that you shouldn't toss out your existing display until you've tested the Dell one thoroughly - by playing a DVD movie, for example.

dmpP
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I've got the 2005FPW.... amazing monitor! worked perfectly out of the box...

I bought it when it went on sale the last Dell deals... I think it was 599 + tx and free shipping....

TheBat
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:44 PM
You would do better by buying two 17" monitors - cheaper, and more screen real estate. May not look as good as a single 20" WS though...

mikef
Aug 31st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Even two 17" monitors is generally going to run $600. I'd rather have a single screen for the same money...

Troutmagnet
Aug 31st, 2005, 02:41 PM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows of any decent 20 inch LCD monitors for a decent price. The Apple one is awesome, but I just can't afford that.

Rush

Do you have to get a 20-incher?

I purchased a cheap BenQ (T905) on sale at Staples (price matched against FS) for $349 - 12ms refresh, 600:1 contract with DVI and D-Sub inputs... I have my MDD G4 hooked up to it through the DVI connection and my Athlon64 PC hooked up via the D-Sub, which effectively moved two giant boat anchors off my desk...

Kinda' figured for that price I wouldn't really care if it was average at best, but the thing is absolutely incredible! INFINITELY better than the two 21" Viewsonic GT's it replaced (and strangely larger - although I can't for the life of me figure that one out!? I'm sure the res. was set higher on my Viewsonics... whatever...)

The brightness burns my retinas!!!

Why don't you give something like that a look and save yourself $200 for one extra inch of real estate?

dona83
Aug 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Someone has a review of the Phillips 190B.

http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=11311

Says screen quality is excellent and the style blends in very nicely with a PowerMac G5.

mikef
Aug 31st, 2005, 04:27 PM
Why don't you give something like that a look and save yourself $200 for one extra inch of real estate?

Sounds like good advice to me!

Troutmagnet
Sep 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM
Sounds like good advice to me!

I'm a graphic arts professional and after using it last night for several hours to paginate a fairly large 72-page, full colour glossy magazine, I can honestly not see the difference between the pictue quality of the BenQ 905T that I bought for $350 and the NEC 19" models I buy for work (corporate standards mandate) for a hair over $900...

An excellent purchase IMO - although I would definitely recommend only buying a display with a refresh lower than 16ms and a DVI interface... DVI makes all the difference with fine Photoshop and InDesign/QXP work (calibration was a snap BTW), although I have to say that the standard analog D-SUB connection I'm using on my PC yields a picture almost as good!

World of Warcraft looks fantastic on this thing even through the analog connection and the 4 ms refresh difference between the 12ms BenQ and the standard suite of 16ms models is very noticeable. I used my buddies 16ms LCD recently, and I could defiitely see (albeit minor) ghosting on fast moving images - nothing on this model yet...