: Dissing iMac G5

CompGuy
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:30 PM
I find that a lot of people seem to be dissing the iMac G5. I have one, REV A. It has run flawlessly since day one and hasn't experienced all these problems that have been noted by others. I'm not denying that there are problems with the iMac G5's just as there are with many other types of computers but it does seem like an inordinate number of people are dissing it. Are these people speaking from experience? I'd sure like to see a poll of Happy iMac G5 users vs Disappointed iMac G5 users. If such a poll has already been done, can someone point me toward the link for it.

I would certainly cast my vote as one Happy iMac G5 User.

dona83
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Just ask one architect firm I know who got iMac G5s for all but the most senior drafts people (who got the PowerMacs) when they first came out and they have not had any problems with any of them.

MacDoc
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:40 PM
We sold quite a few and had I think two clients with issues - it was pretty good for a Gen A release and I think an major issue was heat with the Western Digital 250s on the CTO.

That said there was clearly a problem with the power supply that was not present on the European models hence the extended warranty.

20" iMacs have been hot movers lately - not much action on the 17" - when we had 17" with Superdrives at $1499 they really cooked - magic price point.

Apple needs a plain jane no wireless no BT but with Superdrive at that price point.

macguy.nielsen
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:41 PM
The smallest crowd always has the hugest voice.

Peter Sensei
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Hi I have to agree not one bit of trouble, in fact a great experience
Peter Sensei a very happy Imac g5 rev a user.

thejst
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:03 AM
I love my G5, warts and all (Failed Video Card)

hey, it got fixed, what do I care?

planders
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:17 AM
I think you're always going to see a disproportionate number of complaints on any discussion forum--on average, happy owners don't post on support forums! A community board like this gets all kinds, but so far I've seen many more threads on things like "what are these iMac problems I've been hearing about?" than "I hate my iMac G5!"

In the end, any computer that tries something different is going to be a more likely candidate for problems than yet another beige box PC with generic (but decent) parts. It's pretty telling that Apple topped PC Magazine's customer satisfaction survey again this year by a significant margin, despite reports of these problems.

dona83
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:35 AM
My iMac G5 won't break down! What's going on?? What should I do??

corinthian
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Very happy Rev B. owner! 2 months of flawless operation!

Jordan
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I have a 20" iMac G5 ALS and love it to death :)

I wish there was enough cash in my bank to buy one for everyone in my family.

andrewenterprise
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:25 AM
On a forum you tend to hear more about the negative issues of a product than the positive. Its not too often you see a thread where a person starts a thread saying "I have had my iMac G5 for a few months now and it has been great." People always tend to focus on the negatives. Ohh well, c'est la vie.

MacNutt
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:35 AM
I've never used an iMac G5 as of yet...never owned any sort of "i". Only "power".

But I sure do think the imac G5 is one slick machine! I looked long and hard at one before I popped for the G5 Dualie.

If I was just starting out on Macs...I'd be sorely tempted to pick up a G5 all in one for just over two grand. That would run a second monitor. And that took up no more space than a single monitor.

Heck...you could probably pack one of these things around like a really big laptop if you really wanted to. ;)

Cool machine. No doubt. :D

Paul O'Keefe
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:44 AM
My iMac G5 20" rev. A has worked pretty good. It's the computer that design that I wanted made for so long... quiet, large screen, small foot print, and gorgeous.

Minor quibbles:
1. Every now and again I would lose mouse/cursor functionality but keyboard input worked fine. This has happened to at least one other ehMacer. Hasn't happened in a long time. Maybe a software update fixed it.

2. One frozen pixel about three months into use.

3. Very seldom, but sometimes the automatic sleep settings don't work. I usually just repair permissions and restart and that seems to take care of it.

I am a very happy iMac owner.

maximusbibicus
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I have had my 20" Rev B for about a month. Best Mac i have owned to date. Big screen, small footprint, big power and little noise.

Perfect.

solidgood
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:18 PM
enjoying my rev a 20" iMac, but occaisonally the video garbles while switching users using Fast User Switching. not often enough to re-create it just often enough to make me wonder.
matt

bmur22
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM
I just registered here, though Ive been reading about Macs here for quite some time and this is my first post. I have been thinking about getting an iMac G5 to do audio work but was a bit worried by all the negative comments in various forums. Its nice to hear some positivity about the iMac, and it helps in my decision to switch to a Mac.

coreLlama
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Loving my 20" rev. B iMac. Only had some minor audio problems. It turns out Audio Hijack (3rd party software) was the culprit. After deleting everything is smooth again.

Definitely recommend the iMac G5.

Brian Scully
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:52 PM
17" rev A November 8 2004 build with no problems what so ever
its under extended warranty for the known problems and under AppleCare for anything else Came with Panther and upgraded to Tiger Currently 10.4.2 with all the upgrades with narry a hitch. Always disconnect the FireWire devices before any update as a precaution or just good common sense. I can never understand why if repairing permissions before and after is so critical that Apple does not just include them in the scripts for the updates.....but yes I do them anyways :-)

thejst
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I just registered here, though Ive been reading about Macs here for quite some time and this is my first post. I have been thinking about getting an iMac G5 to do audio work but was a bit worried by all the negative comments in various forums. Its nice to hear some positivity about the iMac, and it helps in my decision to switch to a Mac.

Welcome bmur22! EhMac is a great place to get the 'real scoop' on all things Apple!

the iMac is great for audio- Powerful and easier than PC to get stuff done!

James

bmur22
Aug 30th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks thejst!

I do have a question regarding the iMac. My plan, as I said earlier, is to do some pretty serious audio work. Am I at risk at all of heat problems if I really push the system, or is that a non issue? I thought that maybe the problems Ive heard about could be brought on by heavy use as opposed to simple internet/email type use.

thejst
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:02 PM
The heavier the load, the higher the fans will 'ramp up' thus increasing the cooling of the iMac....Mines been on the 'Highest' Setting for a while now and (with a gig of ram) never overheats, or makes me worried about over heating...

VVA88IT
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Have it for five days now and no problems so far. :)

mac_geek
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:40 PM
I'm a happy iMac rev.B user since May of this year. No problems whatsoever, though I admit that I do suffer from anxiety anticipating a failure..

I keep a steady eye on Temperature Monitor..