: Do you use iLife suite?

dona83
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM
This is in response to someone who claimed that iLife had a limited audience. Do you use iLife? Which ones do you use regularily?

MannyP Design
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I use iTunes/iPhoto almost exclusively... I have a library of thousands of songs/photos that are organized with keywords/smart folders. Love it... makes life easy to find stuff -- especially with Spotlight! iPhoto's new image tweaking tools are quite good for basic stuff... but combined with Photoshop, you can't lose. ;)

I use iMovie fairly regularly as well -- I hate to admit it, but I've not used FinalCut Express much since iMovie hit version 3; I work much faster in it and can incorporate the project movie file into Adobe AfterEffects easily to for advanced tweaks/effects to the footage.

iDVD is indispensible... I used it more than DVD Studio Pro, mainly because I've never upgraded it beyond version 1, but I can make my own custom templates quite easily. I've made several DVDs for myself, friends and family... I'm in the middle of doing one of my son Xander to send out to the proud grandparents.

Garageband doesn't get much work out of me... but I do tinker with it from time to time. It's very cool.

Trevor...
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:00 PM
ask the same question to the public at large, and expand the options to include PC based consumer media applications. DVDit, Movie Maker ect.

iLife is neat, my sister lives for it, but outside MP3's and digital photos, the multimedia interests of the AVERAGE end user are minimal.

dona83
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:23 PM
I've made this poll exclusively for Apple users. I did use Windows Movie Maker back in the days, prerequisite is that you actually have a camcorder device (or iSight for crazy people like me). I think another good question to have asked is that if iLife was a $99 option instead of a $99 feature, would people buy it?

Besides I would say the top three uses of a Windows PC is virus fighting, being productive, and playing games. Since viruses are not a current issue in Mac computers, then then iLife suite probably bumps up there. I just wanted to see how much iLife was being used, which components were being used, and if people didn't use any of it what were their reasons. If your reason is because you have a PC not a Mac then that's a valid reason. Perhaps people only use iTunes which is a free download anyway, they're not interested in making home movies/DVDs, they use Final Cut or Logic. I don't know if I speak for everyone but perhaps the top few reasons people use Macs over PC is because of ease of use, the power and stability of the OS, and the fact that the multimedia features such as making movies, photo books, music, etc. are not only second to none, they're also easy enough to use and available that the average Joe can use it. Am I wrong? I think where Microsoft is strong to the home user is that they've been successful at integrating home entertainment with home PC. Apple's been successful at integrating life with home computer.

andrewenterprise
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:28 PM
iTunes and iPhoto I use quite frequently, but I do make it a habit of using all of the iLife apps at one point or the other. The only one I don't use on a regular basis is iDvd, because I use Toast instead.

macguy.nielsen
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I use iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, and screw around with Garageband and iMovie all the time. This type of software that Apple supplies can be worth hundreds of dollars in the PC world. One of the main reasons I switched completely to Apple.

macsackbut
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:25 PM
I voted for iTunes and iPhoto, but even my use of the latter is limited since I do not yet own a digital camera, a situation I hope to remedy early in 2006.

I'd be all over iMovie if I had a digital video cam, and I'll eventually get around to fiddling with Garageband once I get a decent mic set up (it baffles me that the iSight mic isn't compatible with Garageband. Something to do with compression, maybe?).

SoyMac
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:27 AM
... and I'll eventually get around to fiddling with Garageband once I get a decent mic set up ...

macsackbut - Your Mac doesn't have a built-in mic?
I was blown away when I was showing Garageband to a new-Mac-owner friend, and she recorded herself playing guitar and singing along to another track already in garageBand. She had a Flexi-Arm iMac, and just played in front of her computer, with no mic set up.
DUDE!

tikibangout
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:29 AM
I use iTunes, Garageband, and iDVD on a regular basis.

macsackbut
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:07 AM
macsackbut - Your Mac doesn't have a built-in mic? DUDE! Don't get me started! :D. The mini doesn't have a built-in mic, nor does my screen. The only mic I have for the moment is the one built into the iSight, which is great for chatting (more than great, actually), but doesn't work with Garageband. I've tried, believe me (and there's also something about this on the Apple site somewhere).

One of these days, I'll get off my lazy butt and get a Griffin iMic and a decent mic. Until then... Well, actually, until then, I'll probably be pretty productive :D

MacS

MannyP Design
Aug 30th, 2005, 10:27 AM
iLife is neat, my sister lives for it, but outside MP3's and digital photos, the multimedia interests of the AVERAGE end user are minimal.

Deja Vu all over again.

Gee... this sounds so familiar. I think the exact same thing was said about 2 years ago and there STILL is a large market for iLife and 3rd-party materials (books, add-ons, web sites, etc.)

This is why Microsoft/Adobe (et al) are following Apple's lead for such a "minimal" market. Consumers want to be able to create/play without spending tons of cash and spend enormous amounts of time/energy learning high-end applications.

dona83
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:22 PM
macsackbut, Under System Preferences, Sound, you can't set input to iSight Built-In?

Trevor...
Aug 30th, 2005, 01:34 PM
If you only asked a MathCAD user group, you might think every computer owner in the world is running MathCAD. Asking a specialized mac website about applications only available for the mac and of the type more likely to be used by mac users in the first place, does not give an even remotely accurate picture of the demand for this sort of thing among the public at large.

Observe the number of PC's that have built-in Firewire for example, few to none.

macsackbut
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM
macsackbut, Under System Preferences, Sound, you can't set input to iSight Built-In?dona83 (and anyone else who's interested): check out <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301837" target="_blank"> this knowledge-base article,</a> which explains the whys and wherefores of why the iSight camera can't be used with garageband.

MannyP Design
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
If you only asked a MathCAD user group, you might think every computer owner in the world is running MathCAD. Asking a specialized mac website about applications only available for the mac and of the type more likely to be used by mac users in the first place, does not give an even remotely accurate picture of the demand for this sort of thing among the public at large.

Observe the number of PC's that have built-in Firewire for example, few to none.

This IS a Mac site and it IS a poll about iLife and people who use it. End of story. Since iLife is Mac-only (save for iTunes), anything pertaining to the Win world is irrevelvant... and you're starting to deviate from topic.

However, most PCs are for the low-end user (read: cheapskate), but they do offer Firewire options (or available via a 3rd party) to customers. How many camcorders actually use USB for DV?

Trevor...
Aug 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM
This poll is an extension of another discussion that involved PC's, so it is relevant.

The author of the post is using this poll to say that computer users, mac and pc are breaking down the doors for killer multimedia authoring software.

I'm saying their not, and the iApps and their PC counterparts have a fairly limited appeal because very few consumers (relative to the entire market) really care about that functionality.

dona83
Aug 30th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Actually MannyP I used USB to transfer movies from my Sony camcorder to Windows Movie Maker :) However it's definitely not standard and does require a driver whereas with Firewire just plug it in and it works.

But anyway a lot of PC users don't use these things mainly because it's not freely accessible to them. As they say, if you build it they will come. :) I certainly did not plan on using iMovie but since I got my iSight I've been making videos right left and centre... videos to send to my fiancee in Korea, DVDs of my hockey team, etc. At 38% of people using iMovie on a regular basis, it's certainly not a limited market, and certainly goes hand in hand that not everyone has a camcorder. Nice to see that 83% of us probably have a digital camera. :) 35% of people regularily using iDVD is amazing though, I didn't think that many people would do the grand finishing touch to their videos. And 23% of people using GarageBand is also more than what I expected which is good. :) I did plan on using GarageBand but as of today not really yet. I gotta get some musical sparks going.

On a side note, there is one person who uses iLife that doesn't use iTunes, who are you and which player do you use, assuming you do listen to music? :) Or deaf... but I have two deaf friends who still enjoy music as long as they have a really strong subwoofer and songs that make use of that strong subwoofer.

ArtistSeries
Aug 30th, 2005, 04:43 PM
On a side note, there is one person who uses iLife that doesn't use iTunes, who are you and which player do you use, assuming you do listen to music? :)
Audion over iTunes. Can't stand iTunes....

MannyP Design
Aug 30th, 2005, 04:50 PM
This poll is an extension of another discussion that involved PC's, so it is relevant.

The author of the post is using this poll to say that computer users, mac and pc are breaking down the doors for killer multimedia authoring software.
No, he's asking what iLife software Mac users use.

I'm saying their not, and the iApps and their PC counterparts have a fairly limited appeal because very few consumers (relative to the entire market) really care about that functionality.

What do you consider "very few"? Looking at the results of this particular poll, approximately 1/3rd of the people on ehMac alone (which I would consider a broad range of user-types on the Mac platform) use those you deem multimedia-apps (iMovie/iDVD; Garageband is the only one without significant usage -- but it's an audio/music program, not multimedia.) Looking at the PC manufacturer sites, there are quite a few who include multimedia apps. Why would a PC manufacturer give throw away software if nobody (or very few, in your words) bothers to use it? Why would Microsoft/Adobe bother to enter that tiny of a market if nobody cares?

If you believe the average consumer does not want, need, or use these... why do resellers include "value added" software of this nature? Why has it increased (specifically movie/dvd software) significantly after] Apple released iLife?

iPetie
Aug 30th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I'm saying their not, and the iApps and their PC counterparts have a fairly limited appeal because very few consumers (relative to the entire market) really care about that functionality.I would have to agree with you on this.
However, if the vast majority (PC Users) knew how easy it was to use the iLife apps, more would use them. I must say, that leaving the PC platform 2 years ago, I'm ignorant to what is available for PC users today.
So, insofar as your point goes, it is likely just slightly ahead of its time. Most people that would move to the Mac platform for these apps can be characterized as early adopters.

Trevor...
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:23 PM
"Looking at the results of this particular poll, approximately 1/3rd of the people on ehMac alone"

And 100% of the members of a MathCAD user group use MathCAD,
This poll is an extension of the iMac vs. Dell topic,

Have you had a look at the so-called "Multimedia Bundles" the PC vendors offer?

It is usually something like MusicMatch Jukebox, Adobe Photoshop Album or JASC Photopaint.

As for software, the consumer video and dvd software on the PC hasn't changed a whole lot. And ulead video studio and DVDit both actually predate iMovie and iDVD. Although some (read: not me) claim DVDit! is professional software. ulead isn't actually that bad, it just has a terrible interface (if you don't like brushed metal, you should see uleads teac wood interface!)