: Final Cut Express

Principal
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Can someone give me (Newbie to video creation) practical reasons to upgrade to FC express from imovie HD

ArtistSeries
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Principal, iMovie is a good choice for Newbies but some of the differences that you will have are the following:
FCE is non-destructive editing
clipping in iMovie will cropped the footage
FCE has a longer/harder learning curve
Some effects are easier to achieve in iMovie
Easier to transition to "pro" editing software with FCE

Thanks to jfp from the ehmac chat room for some of the answers.

mguertin
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:47 PM
iMovie has eaten/destoryed/damaged quite a lot of projects at my work, which are 100% non-recoverable without starting again from scratch. You won't run into this problem with FCE as mentioned above, it's non-destructive editing. That and the large amounts of features that iMovie doesn't have are enough for me to make the move.

TrevX
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:34 PM
While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a good book for learning Final Cut Express HD? I know of a few for Final Cut Express 2, but I'm specifically interested in Final Cut Express HD and would love to have a book that covers the basics to the more advanced features.

Trev

lpkmckenna
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Can someone give me (Newbie to video creation) practical reasons to upgrade to FC express from imovie HDThere are none.

If you are a newbie, stick with iMovie. Only move up when you feel that iMovie is limiting you from doing what you want.

If you want practical advice, spend that money on another hard drive.

Elemenopee
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:13 PM
While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a good book for learning Final Cut Express HD? I know of a few for Final Cut Express 2, but I'm specifically interested in Final Cut Express HD and would love to have a book that covers the basics to the more advanced features.

Trev

This book is pretty good and includes a tutorial DVD.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.asp?Item=978032133481&Catalog=Books&Ntt=final+cut+pro&N=35&Lang=en&Section=books&zxac=1

MacNutt
Aug 30th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Call me crazy here...but I've used FCP4 and Final Cut Express and iMovie. Quite extensively....and i wouldn't touch FC Express with someone else's ten foot pole!

FCP4 is very difficult to use until you get a handle on it. Something like Photoshop.

But once you get used to either of them, then the sky's the limit. (I'm still working on both, BTW) ;)

iMovie, on the other hand, is insanely easy to use...and you can make quite a good featurette or even a real movie with it. But it has it's limitations.

Final Cut Express combines the very worst aspects of both FCP 4 and iMovie.

It's very difficult and time consuming to learn...and it has some serious limitations. It keeps on telling you that "you CAN'T do this!"

Bottom line:

-FCP4 is NOT fun (at least at first)...but it is very rewarding.

-iMovie is total fun! But limited. (still a bit rewarding, tho)

-Final Cut Express is neither fun nor ultimately rewarding. And it IS diffucult to learn.

Only upgrade from iMovie when you REALLY feel that you are at the outer edges of the iMovie experience. You might find that this could BE a while, BTW.... ;) :D

Then take the big jump to Final Cut Pro. "Express" is a three legged dog that will scoot on its butt across your carpet just when your dinner guests arrive.

And "that dog don't hunt", as they say. (you'll probably want to take it out back and shoot it, actually.)

My 2cents worth.

jfpoole
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:37 AM
I'm curious as to what sorts of things Final Cut Express said you couldn't do. I've been using Final Cut Express for a while now, and I've never hit any limitations with it.

mguertin
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I'm curious too. Aside from some bells and whistles, and not having the ability to do batch captures I haven't noticed a big difference between FCP HD and FCE HD.

TroutMaskReplica
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Then take the big jump to Final Cut Pro. "Express" is a three legged dog that will scoot on its butt across your carpet just when your dinner guests arrive.

And "that dog don't hunt", as they say. (you'll probably want to take it out back and shoot it, actually.)

lol! priceless!