: What's a great gaming controller for the Mac?

Elias26
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:09 PM
My USB Gravis game pad I purchased for my G3 iMac a few years ago doesn't work for any of my games on my G5 tower. So now I need to venture out and get a new controller. Although for the first time ever I am finally getting used to playing certain games with the keyboard and mouse.

Having said that, some games still need a controller... for example: The Incredibles. Just downloaded the demo. All I can say is that game is near impossible to play without a controller in certain parts.

andrewenterprise
Aug 29th, 2005, 02:05 PM
I personally use a Microsoft SideWinder, and I find it works quite well.

Elias26
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:50 PM
How much did you pay for it? And when/where did you get it?

Also, is it compatible with games like Halo, UT2004, and the Incredibles...

simon
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I personally use a Microsoft SideWinder, and I find it works quite well.

I'd like to know too - what games? I'm trying to find a good controller too for MOH, COD and UT2004

andrewenterprise
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I got it a while ago with the last PC my dad bought. I use it to play Halo all the time, so I know that it is compatible with that, not too sure about with the incredibles... but I don't see why it wouldn't be. I'll look it up and will get back to you with some model informaton and where you can get something similar.

Elias26
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks, that would be great! :)

J-Money
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:28 PM
How do people play FPS with a controller? The mouse + keyboard is much easier, and quicker to aim and strafe, and do multiple things much more accurately....

That's why I hated playing Halo 2 on the x-box... :(

Elias26
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:44 AM
"bump"

Lawrence
Aug 31st, 2005, 05:17 AM
I've been using the iShock II but it requires a lot of tweeking in order to play games,
I'd much prefer a plug and play smart controller, Do they exist?

Url:
http://www.macally.com/techsupport/faq/faq_ishock.html

lpkmckenna
Aug 31st, 2005, 06:22 AM
How much did you pay for it? And when/where did you get it?

Also, is it compatible with games like Halo, UT2004, and the Incredibles...Don't bother trying to play Halo or UT2004 with a controller. You really need the mouse to look around and to aim. Also, if you are using the game's IM console, you will need the keyboard anyway.

I bought the iShock for UT99. Money down the drain. Even Bugdom was uncomfortable with the iShock.

Kosh
Aug 31st, 2005, 10:26 AM
Don't bother trying to play Halo or UT2004 with a controller. You really need the mouse to look around and to aim. Also, if you are using the game's IM console, you will need the keyboard anyway.

I was going to say the same thing. I've never used a game controller or joystick with Halo, UT, UT2004, or RTCW.

andrewenterprise
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:39 PM
Sorry about the delay with this... uh of course Microsoft doesnt really give a model number on the bottom of the thing.... Best Buys Joystick page (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=20384)

Generally any of those should work. Personally, I believe that the more buttons the better. Good luck in finding something that suits you!