: new ibook -- mac convert

imeldamac
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I just got a new (though last model) ibook 14 inch 133 MHz superdrive and it's easy to understand how Apple creates Mac converts.

I have been a PC user since 1987 (my first dos machine didn't even have a hard-drive). Over the years I have had a bunch of Windows pcs, including my latest Sony Vaio desktop sitting now behind the ibook as I type this message. It has been a good machine, no probs, but almost everyday I need to run spy sweeper -- argg.

I got the ibook on Fri (it was already set up by a univ. technician). I brought it home, turned it on and it immediately recognized my home wireless network. I played around with it, loaded some photos into iphoto, did some amzingly easy edits and created a great slideshow of my summer holidays.

Yesteday I installed a 1G ram chip -- Again amazingly easy. Now this machine is humming!

iPetie
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Congrats, and welcome to the end of your journey from the "Dark Side". LOL

Vexel
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Congrats on your iBook :) Welcome to ehMac :D

HowEver
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM

imeldamac
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:20 AM
How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Commodus
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:55 AM
How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

It depends on your wireless router. In all cases, you can usually go to the router's setup page or program to do this. If you just want to stop others from getting in, you can choose to use WEP or WPA encryption. Effectively, it requires a password to get in.

What they may have been referring to specifically is turning off the broadcast of your router's SSID (the network name). This is so that someone can't just stumble on the network; they need to know what its name is and THEN prompt to connect to it.

andrewenterprise
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Glad to hear you are happy with your iBook. I bet it just SCREAMS with 1.5gb of Ram. :eek:

imeldamac
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Glad to hear you are happy with your iBook. I bet it just SCREAMS with 1.5gb of Ram. :eek:

I am happy!! It is fast with the ram -- but since it is the next to last model it only adds up to 1.25. At the moment though, it is sure beating my 2.8 GHz 512 mb ram windows desktop for browsing, opening apps, etc.

The ibook has been set up for a server at my univ. It flies at work and powers up very quickly. When i bring it home though, the start up seems to take forever. this scared me after I installed the ram chip. But today, given the really quick start up in my office at the univ, I realize that the slow start up at home must have something to do with being offsite.

I am at the University of Alberta and our faculty's computer techs are doing some very good work trying to make the servers and Macs work together. But there have been some bugs.

This said though, I love this ibook and again find myself typing away on it with my windows desktop looking lonely behind it on my desk.

cptnkirk
Aug 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM
the start up seems to take forever.

I have an iBook and I've learned that Apple thinks that it will run better if I never shut it off, just put it to sleep by closing the lid.

Also, I never shut it down at night because the system auatomatically runs software to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Apprarently iBooks are designed to be left on all the time. The only time mine gets restarted is when I have to do an upgrde, llike today when I installed the upgrade for Safari.

Enjoy your iBook. I love mine. It's my third and it goes everywhere with me.

imeldamac
Aug 29th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I have an iBook and I've learned that Apple thinks that it will run better if I never shut it off, just put it to sleep by closing the lid.

Also, I never shut it down at night because the system auatomatically runs software to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Apprarently iBooks are designed to be left on all the time. The only time mine gets restarted is when I have to do an upgrde, llike today when I installed the upgrade for Safari.

Enjoy your iBook. I love mine. It's my third and it goes everywhere with me.
just a quick question -- do you mean never shut down even when I pack up the ibook in its sleave and move it from one location to another?

thanks

guzzi guy
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:16 AM
No need to shut it off even when you take it places. Closing the lid puts it to sleep, and the hard drive at this point isn't active, so no damage done. Read around, it seems like nobody really shuts them off. I used to when I first got it back in December (switcher, well not really, I wasn't into computers at all until this ibook came into my life *sigh)....now I just don't' bother.