: Camino 0.9 (alpha)

i stole this name
Aug 28th, 2005, 09:33 AM
This is the single best browser for mac IMO!

SO much improved from v 0.8.4, still written in cocoa, its very reliable and entirely native. They recently pulled it through an interface lift to include tiger's unified style, very very nice looking now.

Per usual, pages render better than safari, especially heavy CSS styling etc - its firefox minus the ugly. Pages load so much faster now!

Thanks mozilla!

iPetie
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Yes, I've been using it for some time. I actually use the PPC 7450 nightly build.

It still needs to incorporate spell check and some type of RSS support to be my primary browser. But it is seriously on the way. Although, no faster than Safari 2.0, it is a the best Mac browser for older versions of X. So if you're not using Safari 2.0, treat yourself to Camino 9.

trump
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:38 AM
never used Camino before, but I must say, I like it. The cool thing about OS X is that I can test web sites I've built in every single major browser available (IE, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Camino...etc)

iPetie
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:47 AM
It's pretty customizable as well, although not as much as Fugly FireFox.

You Can Download Camino Knight (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8560) and get a host of Themes and Tabs at DaveEdits Sight (http://www.fiberoptikz.tk/~slowmo/Camino.html) .

Other add-ons can be found Here. (http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=Camino&os=macosx&button.x=0&button.y=0)

someone
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:05 PM
You guys should try the firefox nightly as well. They added quite a few improvements over the interface (esp the option dialogue) as well as in system intergration.

Personally, I am too attached to my firefox extensions to be able to move to Camino...

iPetie
Aug 28th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Yes, I know what you mean about extensions, I've been playing with Deer Park for a couple of days now, and boy the extensions are nice.

Still Fugly though, and the windows style drop down menus in web pages drive me nuts.

i stole this name
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM
FFX has not a single OS-style, and is about as far from native as aMSN. Its just some crappy copycode with aqua vomited on it.

A major part of the mac is aesthetics, so FFX just dont work for me. Luckily i found a multiple search engine tool for the search bar (so i can incorporate as many as i want - like FFX)

PenguinBoy
Aug 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM
never used Camino before, but I must say, I like it. The cool thing about OS X is that I can test web sites I've built in every single major browser available (IE, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Camino...etc)

If I was developing websites, I would still test using IE for Windows as I've noticed there are differences between IE for Windows and IE for Mac.

I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems to me that IE for Mac has better CSS support than IE for Windows, even though it is a version behind.

In any case, pages that use CSS render differently in IE on Windows and the Mac, and most folks are using IE on Windows, so it's worth making sure things work well for them.

mguertin
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:58 PM
IE for mac is dead and has been for some time. I wouldn't recommend using it as there have been no security updates on it ... ever.

i stole this name
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:15 PM
IE for mac is dead and has been for some time. I wouldn't recommend using it as there have been no security updates on it ... ever.

Just a (badly) ported version of IE for OS 9.

Thank god for safari in Jaguar. Cheetah and Puma shipped with IE as the standard browser :eek:

someone
Aug 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I thought Fx 1.5 is supposed to incorporate the pretty widgets made by the authors of the Pinstripe theme.

BTW, I really can't see any other visual problems with Firefox and the various OS X bugs, such as smooth scrolling are supposed to be fixed in 1.5. However, I never used Firefox for long periods of time on OS X so I can't really say much about some of its more subtle visual bugs. Can someone point them out for me?

Personally, there is one single native firefox feature that I have never been able to find anywhere else: Browse by name (aka. Google I am feeling lucky intergration). In Firefox, you can just type ehmac to get to this forum and I couldn't find this feature in any of the other mac browsers (even Camino! Also, please don't mention Opera because it is simply not an option for me)

Denjira
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Can you import bookmarks from Safari into Camino?

iPetie
Aug 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Can you import bookmarks from Safari into Camino?Yes, Camino does this automatically when first launched. If memory serves me correctly.