: Apple buying G4s to 2008

Macaholic
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Hmmm... interesting

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170100975

ArtistSeries
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I liked the part that said:
"Freescale is obligated to supply Apple with Power PC microprocessors through 2008.

Apple, however, is "under no obligation to purchase Freescale microprocessors other than work in progress that was in place at the time the agreement was executed,"

Could they be securing parts for repairs?

Brian Scully
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I liked the part that said:
"Freescale is obligated to supply Apple with Power PC microprocessors through 2008.

Apple, however, is "under no obligation to purchase Freescale microprocessors other than work in progress that was in place at the time the agreement was executed,"

Could they be securing parts for repairs?

Can you imagine the screams if your iBook or Powerbook that you bought in 2005 went wonkers in 2006 and there were no CPU's available from Free Scale. They have to cover themselves for 3 years of Warranty Under Applecare. They will take them if needed and if not then FreeScale has stock for embedded controllers

lpkmckenna
Aug 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Apple and Motorola hated each other. I hope Apple has a good relationship with Freescale. I say this because if the Intel thing doesn't work out, Apple could buy or merge with Freescale. This never could have happened with Motorola.

If Apple really did make "the whole widget" I think the Mac could do some incredible things. It would be really risky, though, as Freescale is a $2B company.

okcomputer
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Just nit picking, but won't they be buying G5s as well?

mikef
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Just nit picking, but won't they be buying G5s as well?

I would think so, but not from Freescale. They come from IBM.

Macaholic
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I would think so, but not from Freescale. They come from IBM.

Yeah, but guess what? Motorola owns Altivec; the part of the G4 and G5 CPU that makes it go like snot with some processes. So, the question is will IBM bother with paying for Altivec licensing if (and I don't know for sure) they are NOT using it on their game console CPUs shipping to Microsoft etc.? If they don't use Altivec in these console CPUs, will they care to purchase it for Apple's hardware support -- not to mention the after-market CPU upgrade business -- if they themselves don't need Altivec??

Trevor...
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:18 AM
No, Freescale owns Altivec too, motorola spun off the whole business.

I don't think these are for repairs either, Apple manufactures service parts along with the original production run. The total number of service parts manufactured is based on the failure rate, and of what midway through the product life.

Lets say the iSomething has a failure rate of 15%, Apple (or anyone) might manufacture enough service parts for 20% of the systems sold and hope those last until support is discontinued.

In the case of the much beloved Powerbook 5300, Apple actually ran out of service parts and couldn't continue their extended support program on it. At one point they were offering the Pismo for $1299 (i think) to 5300 owners just to get as many as possible out of use.

Apple isn't going to be turning out Mac Mini logic boards with G4 processors in 2008 for service parts.

As for the PowerPC in general, don't lose any sleep over it, they will do just fine on their own. IBM is planning on selling 50 million of them to Sony and Microsoft combined. Hell, our new photocopier/printer has a 550mhz G4 in it.

Not entirely sure why though...

Macaholic
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Well, Motorola/Freescale are interchangeable. Point is, IBM doesn't own it, and Altivec is a crucial element in the PPC design.

The thing I wonder is whether or not IBM will continue sufficient production of Macintosh compatible G5 CPUs once MacIntels come out that would support the currently well-going CPu upgrade business that the G4 platform enjoys? Like, are those 64 bit IBM CPUs going into gaming systems Mac compatible, themselves? Do they have Alitvec in them (licensed by IBM from Motorola/Freescale)? If not, will they run on a Mac mobo -- whether they have Altivec or NOT?? What type of motherboard are these systems destined to run on and would they be mac compatible? yes, Microsoft distributed G5 Powermacs running a special version of the Xbox OS for development, but how long will that architecture be utilized by MS and Sony etc.?

Anyhoo, what I'm obviously driving at is this: Will there be a CPU upgrade potential for the G55 platform going forward? I myself am not so sure there will be.

Thoughts, people?

Trevor...
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:17 PM
There has never been a Macintosh compatible CPU, Macs use the same PowerPC processors other PowerPC customers use.

IBM still makes the 603e, I wouldn't worry about the G5.

Trevor...
Aug 30th, 2005, 02:18 PM
There has never been a "Macintosh compatible" CPU, Macs use the same PowerPC processors other PowerPC customers use.

IBM still makes the 603e, I wouldn't worry about the G5

farfisa
Aug 31st, 2005, 12:09 PM
I think Macaholic and Trevor... should get their own show.

Macaholic
Aug 31st, 2005, 12:18 PM
I think Macaholic and Trevor... should get their own show.

Nah. Bad idea. With Trevor, the whole show would be nothing but arguing over semantics.

And Trev, we shall see about G5 CPU upgrades. They may happen, but I don't see the odds as being very strong that it will. To me, it really depends on how many upgradable (is the iMac's CPU upgradable?) G5 systems are out there by the time Apple stopd using the G5.

Trevor...
Aug 31st, 2005, 01:25 PM
The G5 processor card has a brutal PCB design, I don't think the upgrade makers would touch it.

Macaholic
Aug 31st, 2005, 02:48 PM
The G5 processor card has a brutal PCB design, I don't think the upgrade makers would touch it.

So, you're saying that, even if there is an enticing G5 Mac potential market for it (which I'm not convinced there will be compared to the 32 bit userbase), it would be a bugger to fulfill? Makes me wonder even more as to the longevity of a G5 purchase... :confused:

OTOH, who knows when Apple will really get those Macintels on the street? And, even when that happens, it could be "The Mother of All Rev A's" in terms of hardware quirks. Well, I just hope Frankenmac can still keep sufficiently dishing out the CPU cycles I need.

Trevor...
Aug 31st, 2005, 03:22 PM
I am saying, the upgrade makers have VERY limited engineering resources, I could see someone reworking the original Apple cards, but I don't see anyone making their own from scratch.

I am however personally skeptical that the upgrade makers will be with us much longer.

I have been experimenting with upgrade cards lately, and I am not very pleased with what has been sent my way.

Macaholic
Aug 31st, 2005, 03:29 PM
I don't appreciate that they're dropping big caches.

Trevor...
Aug 31st, 2005, 04:05 PM
It isn't that big of a deal, as it appears the G4 basically flat-lines at 1600mhz or no matter what the config.