: New ibook owner -- laser jet buying advice?

imeldamac
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I just got an ibook -- not newest model but 14 inch G4 133 MGz. I will be using this computer in my office. I have to ditch my old Samsung printer becase it is not USB (or even Mac compatible). I need to buy a new laser printer -- moderate use, black and white printing of text and graphs.

My requirements are cheap and reliable. I am looking at the HP LaserJet 1012 Laser Printer, $179 at Future Shop. I also need to get something right away (or else I won't be able to print at work on Monday).

Any Mac OSX, Tiger users have experience with this one?

Thanks in advance from a real newbie.

andreww
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I have no experience with that model but I can tell you that of all the printers I've dealt with, HPs are the most reliable. If its HP and mac compatable you will be happy.

Vexel
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
2nd to HP printers.. I suggest Canon.. any printer I've tried from Canon seems to be quite reliable. :) And Mac friendly of course.

andrewenterprise
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I have that same printer, HP LasterJet 1012, and I find it to be excellent. It works well and is Mac compatible :D

imeldamac
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm off to Future Shop.

dona83
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:29 PM
HP printers are great printers, but get PSP on them in case the paper feeding system goes bonkers. My Laserjet 6L and my boss' Deskjet developed feeding problems after a couple of years. This is true for Epson printers as well. Canon does not have this problem but afaik they don't make laser printers affordable enough for home use.

Oh Samsung make good laser printers that are really reliable.

Lawrence
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I saw a Brother Laser printer that I considered buying...
I'm a photographer and colour isn't really that important to me.
I have a Canon colour printer but I always print in greyscale (Don't ask)

I saw the printer at "The Source" for $99.
http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=LaserPrinters&product=2513400

Looks like a deal to me, Not sure how much the carts cost though.

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:51 PM
after much research i bought a brother 7820N network laser printer/fax/copier/scanner from office depot

$499 - $100 mail in rebate that i got in 8 weeks

works in os 9 / os x / win xp

great value for the money

brother drivers are mac compatible
i tested them with os 9, panther and jaguar

very pleased

yuwing
Aug 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM
if you looking for a cheap laser printer, samsung ML 1740 is the best bet.

they should be mac compatible, not sure :P

I bought mine around 4 months ago, works like a charm.
it was $169 - $70 instant + mail in rebate - $10 (off $100 coupon) = $89

no complaints here.

imeldamac
Aug 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM
if you looking for a cheap laser printer, samsung ML 1740 is the best bet.

they should be mac compatible, not sure :P

I bought mine around 4 months ago, works like a charm.
it was $169 - $70 instant + mail in rebate - $10 (off $100 coupon) = $89

no complaints here.

Yup, I did check out Samsung as an option but they are not Mac compatible.

okcomputer
Aug 27th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I definitely stand by HP printers.. I have owned (or used a lot) two HP, two Canon, one Lexmark, and one Epson printers. The only printers that stood up to a lot of use and were consistently reliable and good were the HP ones. And they weren't the most expensive of the lot either.

I have used an HP B/W laser printer at work for the past 2 years and it never failed. We printed 400-page documents with no problems at all.

I will always buy HP printers from now, no matter what kind of deal I can get on a Brother or Canon.

someone
Aug 27th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Try the Samsung ML-2010. It comes with an OS X driver out of the box. It also has higher resolution, faster print speed and shorter warm up time. The only problem is it doesn't come with the more intergrated paper tray and the smooth plastic look!

ML-1740 has an OS X driver on their australian/Asian-Pacific website. So it is Mac compatible (just not in north america)

btw, don't buy any brother/HP consumer level products, they are not very reliable.

macsackbut
Aug 27th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I have the hp1012 and it's a fine printer. I third (or fourth) the HP recommendation. They always make great printers.

imeldamac
Aug 28th, 2005, 01:35 AM
woops -- sorry.

I did in fact buy a samsunng today. Future Shop, $99 wih rebates and Mac compatible.
s
I checked the reviews beforehand and it seems like it will be OK. (last Samsung was perfectly adequate for my needs).

I'lll update.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Gerbill
Aug 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM
The HP 1012 is excellent. It's not the cheapest, but you avoid a real pitfall of many cheap lasers.

When you replace the toner on the 1012, you get a new photosensitive drum, which is a big plus - the cheapest lasers need a new drum after x copies, and the cost is so high you might as well get a new printer.