: Ottawa Mighty Mouse pricing is $15 over Apple's MSR. What's up with that?

Gordon Eastman
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I bought a Might Mouse (very nice!) without paying much attention to the price. Then I noticed that CompuSmart charged $79.99, while the Canadian Apple Store price is $65. Checked and found that other local retailers are also marking up the price.

I'm used to finding discounted Apple prices few and far between, but an over 20% markup on Apple's suggested retail? CompuSmart did not have a good explanation for their higher price, but did price match...

So is this an Ottawa phenomenon? Or do retailers in other areas do the same thing?

andrewenterprise
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Hmm, they shouldnt be doing that. As an Apple reseller they have to price their inventory at Apples set price. I think you should contact Apple and see what they have to say.

(( p g ))
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Compusmart is notorious for that. I priced some RAM there and they wanted twice the price of what I paid elsewhere.

But complaining to Apple won't get you anywhere. Resellers can mark-up as much as they wish, the supplier can only suggest a retail price. It's the customer who tells them when their price is too high.

You could return it and explain that you've seen it sold for less elsewhere (e.g., the Apple Store). If they're smart, they'll match the price.

CanadaRAM
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Hmm, they shouldnt be doing that. As an Apple reseller they have to price their inventory at Apples set price. I think you should contact Apple and see what they have to say.
Absolutely not. A reseller is free to price their merchandise at any level they want - Apple has no say over that.

It probably has to do with the fact that Apple's distributors in Canada charge the reseller $61 plus shipping for the Mighty Mouse.

By the time the reseller pays $1.22 (2%) to Mastercard or Visa, you can see why they would be reluctant to retail it for $65.

It's pricing policies like this that lead resellers to say "$^%@%$ Apple."

lpkmckenna
Aug 27th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I went to Northstar Computers to buy a PowerBook. It was marked up $100 over the Apple price. I asked why the price was inflated. I got a lame excuse. I left, and bought my PowerBook at Digital Prototypes.

guytoronto
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:11 PM

As CanadaRAM points out, this is untrue. It is actually ILLEGAL for Apple (or any other supplier) to dictate reseller price. They can suggest a price (SRP), but that is all.

Profit margins on Apple products are so slim, and demand is so high, why not charge more? I remember last Christmas, when iPods where in short supply and high demand, a lot of stores where upping the prices.

I believe for a while CSC was charging an extra $50 for eMacs. I'm not sure if they still do though.

Sybersport
Aug 27th, 2005, 07:04 PM
As CanadaRAM points out, this is untrue. It is actually ILLEGAL for Apple (or any other supplier) to dictate reseller price. They can suggest a price (SRP), but that is all.

Sure, but it's common practise for a manufacturer to hold shipments to a supplier, or some other delay tactic, to send a message that they don't like the pricing being offered.

So even though it's "illegal", there are ways manufactuers can and do get around it every day.