: New iBook initiate! Some questions...

Gravity Grave
Aug 26th, 2005, 05:01 PM
So after much deliberation, I finally picked up a new ibook just over a week ago. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement really; I've been extremely happy with the new machine and my first foray into macs/the mac OS has left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling - so much so that I now dread the times I'm forced to deal with the windows platform ;) :D

Regardless, I have some questions that hopefully someone can enlighten me on. And indeed, I have exhausted the search function :o

Firstly, a few questions/observations reguarding build quality.
-My ibook appears to be slightly warped - just a little, mind you - on the bottom. The bottom right side, where the battery door is, seems to curve up just a bit, enough so that when placed on a flat surface, the ibook tips. I have to wedge some paper under the corner for it to sit level. Its an annoyance but hopefully nothing serious.
-Some of the keys are a little crooked
-The screen has a tiny bit of play. That is, when being typed on vigorously or moved, the screen wobbles a bit. It doesn't appear to be the hinge, merely the screen itself. I would assume this is perfectly normal, but I need some reassurance?
All these problems seem extremely minor and cosmetic, but I am curious as to what the experts have to say. Anything to look out for?

Secondly, an airport question: The signal strength (but apparantly not the actual speed) of my internet connection seems to fluctuate quite a bit over the day. It can go from the full 15 bars to as low as 5. The house I'm currently in does have a 2.4 mhz phone but it has never caused problems with dropped connections. the walls are pretty flimsy - no metal or anything I could see would cause major interference. Furthermore the house is spaced far enough apart that neighbours shouldn't be an issue. The strange thing is that the signal seems to drop most in the middle of the night, when there should be the least interference :confused: I've got interference robustness turned on, as well as encryption. After hearing horror stories, I have not yet updated to Airport 4.2.

Third, What is a comfortable running temperature? I've got temperature monitor running, and in general it seems to fluctuate from about 42-47 degrees. Occasionally (when running a movie or using in my lap for example) it gets a bit hotter - I've seen it top out at about 54 degrees. At what point should I start to get concerned?

Finally, I see a lot of talk of Onyx, as well as the 'chron' apps that are supposed to run...any general tips reguarding maintenance? Should I be running these on a regular basis, or only when problems arise? Any good (free) app reccomendations?

If someone could help with some or all of these questions I'd be extremely grateful. :) All in all I gotta say I'm a happy camper with this new mac!

thejst
Aug 26th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I have to say, first, Welcome to EhMac- Glad you like the new machine. the iBooks are a great portable computer.

In answer to at least 1 or 2 of your Q's, I'd have to say that the screen moving is somewhat normal, but it depends entirely on how vigorously you are moving the 'book. Mine moves a bit, but not so much That I need to be worried.

The crooked keys and the not being level would make me very unhappy though. I would not feel right about having to 'wedge' my brand new computer so that it doesn't tipple. Are you sure all of the rubber feet are on the computer? If it's not the feet, maybe consider trying to exchange it- IMO it should sit flat on surfaces. It would totally Pi$$ me off otherwise....

If you leave your mac on 24/7 then OSX runs the cron aps itself, but downloading OnyX is a good idea- it is a great utility and it's free, so why not? I does a lot more than maintenence- it also has a safari speed up option that is great!

I'd love to answer your Airport issues, but I'd best leave that to those around here who know more about it....

Once again, Welcome to EhMac! Join us in the iChat room (open iChat, then shift-apple key 'G' and enter ehmac in the field)

Take Care,
James

Gravity Grave
Aug 26th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome James, I'm going to have to hit up that chat sometime.

As for those quality issues, its reassuring about the screen. Mainly it jiggles a bit when I'm typing, or if the table gets bumped...but like I said it doesn't appear to be the hinge, merely the natural flexibility of the screen I suppose?

I agree the keys and the warped base are an annoyance. I do have all four rubber feet...looking closer it seems the base portion was simply not mounted flush with the upper portion, and thus puts a bit of torsion on it, bending it up a bit. Its a bit annoying but doesn't affect performance in any way. I do have applecare as well...so...sending it back is a bit of a possibility. However it would be a minor pain in the a$$ to ship back, missing the beginning of school. Not to mention all the downloading/updating/transferring over of files that would be lost.

I don't leave it on 24/7, usually putting it to sleep at night. How do I enable these cron apps at my own discretion - and how often should I be doing it?

Thanks again!

cptnkirk
Aug 26th, 2005, 09:51 PM
I don't leave it on 24/7, usually putting it to sleep at night. How do I enable these cron apps at my own discretion - and how often should I be doing it?

I leave mine on and open all the time. Apparently, Apple thinks this is the best strategy. I only restart my computer after updates otherwise it just keeps on ticking.

Leave the top open and let it sleep naturally (sounds like a baby when you say it that way). It will perform all the chron jobs automatically during the night. Like having little nanobots cleaning your house when you're not looking.

I would take your machine into any local Mac dealer and ask them to fix the non-fitting lower case. It's under warranty. They can check on the internet and they'll fix it, no problem. Also have them look at the crooked keys. That doesn't sound right to me. In general Macs are usually pretty good quality.

macsackbut
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:00 PM
For the crooked keys and not sitting flat, I would definitely say get it looked at. This isn't normal at all.

With the AirPort issue, are you always in the same place, or is the change in signal strength happening because you're moving in relation to your router (maybe an obvious question; just making sure). Also, what kind of router are you using. Apple? Do you have the latest firmware? Maybe try changing channels? If you are actually getting the fluctuation while in the same place, it sure sounds like an interference problem to me, but I'm no expert either.

MacS

dona83
Aug 26th, 2005, 11:15 PM
My iBook has crooked keys too, but it does not affect the usability of the keyboard so I wouldn't be concerned. The iBook keyboard is not as well built as the PowerBook but I can still type 80wpm with very little error so oh well.... but you shouldn't need to wedge something underneath

Myradon
Aug 27th, 2005, 03:29 AM
You could try removing and reseting the keyboard. just Lower the two tabs up top and re fit it. While touring the inside of the Ibook I accidently replace thew keyboard and it was a bit off. I just released and reset the keyboard :)