: Will spotlight index external harddrives?

someone
Aug 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Also, will it reindex the harddrive when it is reattached? If that's the default behaviour, is there a way to prevent this behaviour?

AppleAuthority
Aug 26th, 2005, 04:51 PM
By default, it does index all 'new' drives attached (that includes disk images I believe). It will not reindex a volume from the beginning unless you force it to.

You can keep Spotlight from indexing a volume altogether by placing the Volume in the Privacy section of the Spotlight system preference. You would do this for instance, for your Backup volume, because otherwise Spotlight would find duplicates of all your data.

someone
Aug 26th, 2005, 04:57 PM
By default, it does index all 'new' drives attached (that includes disk images I believe). It will not reindex a volume from the beginning unless you force it to.

You can keep Spotlight from indexing a volume altogether by placing the Volume in the Privacy section of the Spotlight system preference. You would do this for instance, for your Backup volume, because otherwise Spotlight would find duplicates of all your data.
So spotlight will only check and index updated and new files whenever I attach the exHD to a computer with 10.4 installed, right?

Also, does iTunes provide good support for music libraries that are placed on an external harddrive?

AppleAuthority
Aug 26th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Answer to question #1: That's correct.

Answer to question #2: Well depends if that external drive is always plugged in. If you open iTunes without it plugged in, obviously your music will not appear. And that might be aggravating. Be sure to only open iTunes if your external is connected. If you need help with setting this up, reply accordingly.

someone
Aug 26th, 2005, 05:09 PM
So iTunes will not search for the music on external drives unless the drive has been plugged in, right?

thejst
Aug 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I don't think it would search for the drive at all unless you 'tell' iTunes to (or is a drive you boot off of)
It probably would want to copy those files to your HDD on the boot disk (iTunes always seems to make copies instead of just playing from the source, unless it is a CD)
You may have to think of the external drive from iTunes perspective ie: It is sort of like plugging in an iPod- iTunes will only see what exists in the music library on the computer, not the iPod (at least w/ the shuffle) except that in this case, you have to 'tell' the software to see the Library on the external disk- a process which is automatic w/ an iPod...

Kosh
Aug 26th, 2005, 05:49 PM
There's a preference option in iTunes to play from the existing location or to copy it to the iTunes music folder, I believe.

But I believe iTunes wil not search for music unless you ask it, besides the initial time you first go into iTunes. When you start iTunes the first time on a new computer it will ask if you want it to search for music.

someone
Aug 26th, 2005, 06:21 PM
There's a preference option in iTunes to play from the existing location or to copy it to the iTunes music folder, I believe.

But I believe iTunes wil not search for music unless you ask it, besides the initial time you first go into iTunes. When you start iTunes the first time on a new computer it will ask if you want it to search for music.
I mean to perform a search on your music library and find the music that meets your criteria or to apply a smart playlist.

someone
Aug 26th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Is it even possible to have multiple music libraries at different localtions (perhaps even a network location) and have them all managed by iTunes?

Derrick
Aug 26th, 2005, 09:18 PM
My entire iTunes library is on an external HD ... it works very well. I am quite certain you can only specify a single library location ... if you wanted to access multiple libraries ... I think the only way would be to share the libaries located on different computers.

AppleAuthority
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Two options, someone. You can have you music in different locations and have them linked (but not copied) in your main iTunes library [on your boot HDD]. Or you could move your entire library to the external. Remember, by linking, you will not be able to hear the songs that are not available at the moment (for example, songs that are on a network volume that is currently unmounted).

someone
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Now, what protocol does OS X use for networked volumes (SAMBA?) I don't think iTunes music sharing is the same thing as networked volumes (or use it as an underlying technology), right?

Personally, my only concern with HD solution is reliability. If one of these drives fail, then I am going to lose at least some of my collection. RAID is probably a good idea but I am not aware of an easy method to contruct external RAID arrays. Large HD are still too expensive at this point for RAID. Do you guys have any good suggestions on this issue?

Howard2k
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I keep my library on my internal drive but keep a backup copy on an external drive. Every month I just manually copy of over.

That way even if one drive fails I have a backup at least. I'm also considering burning the library to DVDs too.

Derrick
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:12 AM
Even though I have my iTunes library on an external HD, this is backed up to another external HD every week or so (using Backup from .mac).

someone
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I think backing up to an optical media is the best option. RAID, despite its minial downtime and ease of use, is simply to complex to implement for most consumer applications.

I also have another question about FW/USB2 HD enclosures: Are most enclosures daisy-chainable and stackable? Are there multi-drive enclosures?

AppleAuthority
Aug 27th, 2005, 01:40 PM
There are multi-drive enclosures that are in a striped RAID level, essentially making them one drive (ie. LaCie's Bigger Disk Extreme).