: Intel working hard for Apple

MannyP Design
Aug 26th, 2005, 07:31 AM
It could be me, but I find it completely bizarre that Intel is busting their behinds in accommodating Apple's transition to their processors. Now, I could be totally wrong, but did IBM ever take the initiative with Apple with their PPC processors? Motorola? It seems that Intel is bound and determined to really make sure Apple software kicks ace on their processors.

Or is this what they do for all their customers? (Did'ja hear that IBM?) ;)

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1851752,00.asp

Intel Corp. will port its software developer tools to Mac OS X and will ship its first beta later this year, the chip maker told developers on Tuesday at its first-ever session on Mac OS X at the Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco. ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Smith, director of Intel Compiler Labs, said that Intel will port a complete set of compilers and performance-enhancing libraries to Apple Computer Inc.'s Intel-based version of Mac OS X. Intel will provide Mac tools for both single-core and multicore processors based on Intel's latest compiler technology. Smith said that the tools will contain the same feature set that Intel now provides for its Windows and Linux development tools.

"We will offer one set of tools for all OSes," said Smith.

Intel's compilers and libraries will work as plug-ins to Apple's Xcode development environment running in Mac OS X for Intel. Smith said Intel has no plans to offer the Mac tools in a version running on its Windows development environment. Developers creating software for both operating systems must use the tools running on each platform. The Mac OS X compilers and libraries will require Apple's prototype Intel-based Macs hardware and won't run on generic PCs, he said.

guytoronto
Aug 26th, 2005, 08:36 AM
It could be me, but I find it completely bizarre that Intel is busting their behinds in accommodating Apple's transition to their processors.

With the billions Intel has in their R&D budget, this is probably pocket change to them. It's nice to see them step up and provide these tools Hopefully the relationship will keep working.

I want to see some kind of cross-platform migration tool, so that designers of PC apps can easily make a Mac app.

iPetie
Aug 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Intel needs Apples innovation because the box makers have little or no interest in developing new and innovative products.

Here (http://www.vnunet.com/itweek/comment/2138156/apple-build-intel-dream) is an article summing up why Apple is such a critical design win for Intel.
As far as Motorola and IBM go, they have always been more concerned about embedded applications than PC. Consistent demand, consistent pricing etc. Much easier, more stable and higher margin business model once a design win is achieved.

Vexel
Aug 26th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I'm so excited, I could Pee myself. :eek: :D

No really, these are going to be very interesting times. Intel needs "Innovators" to prove what they can do with their designs. Apple needs chips. It's a perfect combonation if you ask me. I think we're going to see some of the greatest computers to date with this new relationship.

Trevor...
Aug 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Intel wants to emancipate themselves from Microsoft and take them on, you might not be so keen on their long-term intentions for Apple.

The major difference is, Intel makes consumer processors, it is all they have ever made, it is their focus. Motorola makes embedded processors, IBM does too in addition to big iron. Apple was a small volume customer with substantial support requirements

andrewenterprise
Aug 26th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Intel really doesnt like Microsoft a whole lot. I am not too surprised that they are stepping up and busting their butts, although it as a great thing. Together they will take over the computer industry.. .muahahaha. :D

Agreed with Vexel, these are very interesting times in the computer industry, and I also extremely excited to seeinf what lies ahead (not to the point of peeing myself however)