: CTV and Pat Fornan

Brian Scully
Aug 11th, 2005, 10:25 PM
He has has a "Consumers Report" segment on the last two nights and repeated at noon news on Spam and Popups and other malware. Tonight he admited that Macs do not have these problems......but when they migrate to the Intel platform they may indeed be vulnerable

I have called him on this as he KNOWS that the problems that computer users have had with spam and pop ups and other malware is the result of the OS and not the processor on the computer. There are 10's of thousands of people running Intel and AMD processors using various versions of UNIX/Linux that have none of the malware that his two 3 minute segments have featured . That is not to count the millions of us using OSX in its various versions that are viri free and while spam does sometimes leak thru it causes nothing but an annoyance which a control J will send to its grave

Three minutes of air time on the evening news is perhaps his 15 minutes of fame but Truth might indeed be a better form factor

CN
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:10 PM
I guess by his reasoning, all Windows problems could be resolved by moving to the PowerPC platform :D

Macaholic
Aug 12th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Man, that's just plain DUMB for a correspondent TALKING ABOUT TECHNOLOGY to say something like that... and collect a paycheck at the end of the week. Happens all too often, however.

PosterBoy
Aug 12th, 2005, 12:46 AM
The move to Intel could result in more Malware for OS X if you consider that the potentially expanded user base presents a muh more interesting target than the Apple of today.

Bit of a stretch, but still.

Macaholic
Aug 12th, 2005, 12:54 AM
The move to Intel could result in more Malware for OS X if you consider that the potentially expanded user base presents a muh more interesting target than the Apple of today.

Bit of a stretch, but still.

A stretch indeed, old bean ;) The virus would basically have to be UNIX compatible. I can't see a Windows-based virus having any impact of OS X, UNIX, Solarus or Linux, regardless of the CPU they were running on. And I don't think that, even in our most optimistic of projections, that Apple will gain a large enough market-share to catch the hacker's eye, Intel or not. Am I off on this?

PosterBoy
Aug 12th, 2005, 01:04 AM
I can't see a Windows-based virus having any impact of OS X, UNIX, Solarus or Linux, regardless of the CPU they were running on.

No, they can't. You couldn't even port 99% of Windows virii to another OS because different OS's have different vulnerabilities to exploit.

I don't think that, even in our most optimistic of projections, that Apple will gain a large enough market-share to catch the hacker's eye, Intel or not. Am I off on this?

No, I don't think you are. Even if Apple were to shoot up to a full 10% market share, Microsoft would still have 78%.