: Rave: the dictionary in 10.4

iMatt
Aug 10th, 2005, 10:35 PM
With all the negativity floating around, time for a rave:

The Oxford American dictionary included with 10.4 simply rocks. I don't know or care about any Dashboard interface; the regular app interface is just great.

Can anyone confirm whether there's something comparable included if you do a French installation? If there is and I could get my hands on it somehow, I could ditch Classic once and for all...(I use Classic for Le Petit Robert, which is terrific and includes extremely powerful search features, but I'd sacrifice some of the power for an X-native French dictionary that didn't involve spending $$.)

lpkmckenna
Aug 10th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I'm with you, it totally rocks. I set the key-binding for dictionary to F8 (instead of the awkward ctrl-cmd-d) so I can quickly view definitions of new words. The fact that Apple included 3 interfaces to the dictionary amazes me.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the French Dictionary.

3dmund
Aug 10th, 2005, 11:06 PM
^
how do you change the key binding to f8? that would be sooo much more convenient!

lpkmckenna
Aug 10th, 2005, 11:35 PM
System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts. It's almost at the bottom of the list.

Then make sure you fire up the Dictionary app. In the preferences of that app, there are radio buttons for Contextual Menu. Choose "Open Dictionary Panel."

From then on, you can activate the dictionary panel by hovering the mouse over the word you want to look up and press F8. From there, you can still activate the Dict app by clicking "More..."

Cool, eh?

capitalK
Aug 11th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I am still using 10.3 at work and the Dictionary is one of the things I miss most.

MacDaddy
Aug 11th, 2005, 12:19 AM
One thing I hate about the dictionary (Widget) that keeps me going to dictionary.com, is if I spell soemthing wrong, it does not offer me suggestions! I find it quicker to go to Dictionary.com (I have it set to go when I type D in camino, and my browser is always open) than open the app (Since I use browser all the time, but not the dictionary).

iPetie
Aug 11th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I'm no literary master, so my favourite part of the dictionary is you can swap to the thesaurus in mid stream. Quite useful!

3dmund
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:32 AM
System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts. It's almost at the bottom of the list.

Then make sure you fire up the Dictionary app. In the preferences of that app, there are radio buttons for Contextual Menu. Choose "Open Dictionary Panel."

From then on, you can activate the dictionary panel by hovering the mouse over the word you want to look up and press F8. From there, you can still activate the Dict app by clicking "More..."

Cool, eh?

wow, thats awesome! thanks for your help! i'm using the dictionary so much more now. thanks again!

lpkmckenna
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:43 AM
wow, thats awesome! thanks for your help! i'm using the dictionary so much more now. thanks again!
At your service. :cool:

used to be jwoodget
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:00 AM
One thing I hate about the dictionary (Widget) that keeps me going to dictionary.com, is if I spell soemthing wrong, it does not offer me suggestions! I find it quicker to go to Dictionary.com (I have it set to go when I type D in camino, and my browser is always open) than open the app (Since I use browser all the time, but not the dictionary).
I use Google for this. Seems better at guessing although it involves the extra step of the subsequent look-up.

iMatt
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Great new tips, thanks.

Answered my own question about the French dictionary: no, this app is not offered in a French version. Oh well, Classic isn't so terrible for now, and with any luck there will be international versions of dictionary.app down the road.