: what should i do...

maddogjones
Aug 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM
ok i received my free ipodmini 4gb in the mail today, and here is my dilemma

i already have that EXACT ipod mini (same colour and everything).. but my one i just got today have my engraving - (name and phone # etc)... my one that i had first has a 3 year bestbuy warranty on it thought - which is the best thing ever, ive brought it in twice with MINOR problems and they just give me a brand new one every time, they even gave me the 18 hr battery life one instead of the older version one that i had! ... now i would like to sell my engraved one, but who wants to buy it with my name on it right!? what do i dO!?

iPetie
Aug 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM
What does the engraving say?

dona83
Aug 10th, 2005, 03:06 PM
His name? :)

Vexel
Aug 10th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Put it up for sale.. lots of people won't even care. As long as you sell it at a decent price. I mean.. really.. how long do you spend looking at the back of your iPod? ;)

andrewenterprise
Aug 10th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Is there a way to transfer the remaining warranty to the engraved iPod?

maddogjones
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:40 PM
i have no clue, but this is waht i think i might do.... when i brought back my ipods to bestbuy, they didnt even look in the box to see what was wrong with it, so if i had to bring back my engraved ipod, chances are, they wouldnt even notice that its engraved. so if anything were to go wrong, i'd still get a free one back, but i would love my beloved engraving lol.. ya its my name and phone # engraved on the back btw..

MacME
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:54 PM
why did you get the engraving if you didn't plan to keep it? or at the very least, why didn't you get another colour or something, then at least you'd have more reason to keep both. ;)

i wouldn't count on using your BB warranty with your new iPod. doesn't the warranty specify the serial number on the iPod? not to say it wouldn't work, but you'd be taking a chance.

i'd sell the old one with the warranty, since the new one is engraved, but that's my opinion. you'd get more money back for the one with the warranty (and receipt) than the free one you got with the engraving.

CN
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I don't think a warranty can be transferred from product to product...

Maddogjones- I'm not sure if returning your engraved one to Bestbuy would work, because then (according to their records and your receipt---they would either cross off the iPod Mini or take your receipt) your Bestbuy warranty would no longer be valid (because they would think you returned the iPod Mini, so why would they honour the extended warranty on a returned item...they'll notice that that's fishy).

If I were you, I'd sell the engraved one and keep the one with warranty...if something goes wrong with the engraved one you'll be kicking yourself for keeping it just for the engraving.

CN
Aug 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Oh, I see now that you mean you would just pass off the engraved iPod for the BestBuy iPod to get it replaced (so you would have one warranty for two iPods). Kind of a shady thing to do, but if you were caught I guess you could just say "Oh gosh, I must have gotten them mixed up".

maddogjones
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:02 PM
I don't think a warranty can be transferred from product to product...

Maddogjones- I'm not sure if returning your engraved one to Bestbuy would work, because then (according to their records and your receipt---they would either cross off the iPod Mini or take your receipt) your Bestbuy warranty would no longer be valid (because they would think you returned the iPod Mini, so why would they honour the extended warranty on a returned item...they'll notice that that's fishy).

If I were you, I'd sell the engraved one and keep the one with warranty...if something goes wrong with the engraved one you'll be kicking yourself for keeping it just for the engraving.

well i've already gone there and got it replaced, i just get a new receipt with nothing crossed off or anything,... it is kind of shady for me to do that, but i bought the 3 year warranty for a reason: to make sure i always have a working ipod.. last time i brought it back they didnt even look at my ipod, or check the serial number or anything..

LuMach72
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:04 PM
haha stickin' it to the man!

MacME
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:08 PM
well i've already gone there and got it replaced, i just get a new receipt with nothing crossed off or anything,... it is kind of shady for me to do that, but i bought the 3 year warranty for a reason: to make sure i always have a working ipod.. last time i brought it back they didnt even look at my ipod, or check the serial number or anything..

wait a minute, i don't understand what you did. are you saying you took your new engraved ipod and using the BB warranty of the old one, you exchanged it for another new one that's not engraved??? :confused:

CN
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Hmm...okay well this is a shady thing to do, and I'm not endorsing it or anything, but you could sell the one with the warranty (don't advertise it as having a warranty though, because you will need to keep the receipt) and keep your engraved one. If something goes wrong with the engraved one, you could pass it as being the one you bought from BestBuy...you'd lose your engraving but it would probably be replaced (if they usually don't check very closely). Its not really that bad, because your not getting the warranty on two iPods for the price of one or anything, but its still a bit dishonest.

draz
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM
You could switch the cases, but the serial number is on the case which makes it pointless. just keep both.

I mean honestly, if you were going to sell it why on earth did you get it engraved with your name?????

If you want to be smooth, then give it to a hot chick you are dating and tell her it is engraved so she never losses your number. Then get ready for some hankey pankey......problem solved. :cool:

What color is it anyways?

Or scratch the engraving off along with the serial number and give it to that badass chick that loves tough guys and tell her you ripped off a truck load full of them and had to file of the serials...then get ready for some serious badass hankey pankey...problem solved. :D

Man i am good at this. :)

CN
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Draz, you should write a book: "iPod User Manual: Using Your iPod To Get a Date (Version 1.0).

jonmon
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:55 PM
just wait for the inevitable phone call from the person who gets your ipod :D