: DAMN IT! - missing iphoto library

dmpP
Aug 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
So I open up iPhoto today... after not using it for like a week..

and what do I notice..... nothing! that's right! nothing...

f'n mac! who the f' needs one anyways!

I never trashed anything.... now they're all gone.....

anyone have an idea about how to recover them? my other data seems intact...

CN
Aug 9th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Have you checked in the actual folder...Pictures>iPhoto Library and then see if any of your pictures are there? If not, you should probably stop using the computer (to avoid overwriting any data that can be salvaged) and take it somewhere for data recovery.

dmpP
Aug 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
that folder no longer exists..... as I mentioned...

as for not using the computer... ya... right... it's my work system... I have no other machine at work... it ain't a possibility...

there's gotta be some utility out there that can recover the files....

CN
Aug 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM
DiskWarrior sells an application that is apparently relatively good...perhaps not as good as if you brought it somewhere, but I believe you could download it (they sell it right from their site I think). FWIW the more you use that computer, the more likely you won't be able to recover anything, so you might want to try to download it (from the website) ASAP and try to recover.

AppleAuthority
Aug 9th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I've used Prosoft's Data Rescue once, and it worked, although it can be very difficult navigating recovered files. If you know for sure that your data has completely disappeared (make sure you have done the obvious checks, like check your Trash, look in other locations, etc.), take CN's advice and stop using your machine. If that data has been deleted, new data will write over the deleted data, making it unrecoverable.

Vexel
Aug 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Does anyone else have access to your machine? I mean, files don't just delete themselves for no reason. Can you think of anything odd that may have happened in the last week? Something out of the ordinary?

Do you have backup files?

mr.steevo
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:56 PM
I've used Prosoft's Data Rescue once, and it worked, although it can be very difficult navigating recovered files. If you know for sure that your data has completely disappeared (make sure you have done the obvious checks, like check your Trash, look in other locations, etc.), take CN's advice and stop using your machine. If that data has been deleted, new data will write over the deleted data, making it unrecoverable.

Free test of data rescue

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/download.php?prodID=1

s.

CubaMark
Aug 10th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Vexel's right. The iPhoto library can't simply disappear - someone or something had to do that.

Before you do anything else, run a search for "iPhoto Library" (be sure to select "Computer" so it checks the root level of the drive). Odds are that somebody moved it on you. And if it hasn't been emptied, check the Trash too.

M.

dmpP
Aug 11th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Does anyone else have access to your machine? I mean, files don't just delete themselves for no reason. Can you think of anything odd that may have happened in the last week? Something out of the ordinary?

Do you have backup files?
Nobody else has the password to the system... when the screensaver comes on... it prompts for a login...

as for backups... yes and no... the last one I have goes back to December.

I've checked the entire computer for files called "img_" which is what they're all called... and about 10 popped up... but they were in project files not in the iphoto library... (that's where I put copies of the originals)

MacGYVER
Aug 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM
How do you know nobody has your password? It could easily be seen while walking past your cubicle or desk when you type it in.

An entire iPhoto Library does not erase itself. This isn't like on Windows that if you get a virus it attacks your files etc... or could in most cases.

It is obvious that someone did something to remove all those files.

Are you hooked up to a network? Do any others use a Mac and hooked up to a network in your office? I'm thinking of the possibility of someone using maybe (what is it called?) the software where you can control another Mac etc... over a network? It is a possibility, just stretching to see what could have happened.

Oddsbodkin
Aug 13th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Just wandering in the dark here - but could the iPhoto library have become invisible, and even if it had, would it be invisible to iPhoto.app? There is a little free utility called Wizzard that give only two options: "make hidden files visible" and "make hidden files invisible" and you have to relaunch to reverse your previous choice. Just be careful if you get an urge to throw stuff away - some installers set essential invisible files. Can't hurt to look though: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/17043. Just download, launch, make 'em visible, go to: user/Pictures. If your folder is now visible and preceded by a symbol reserved for the OSX System, such as (most likely) a period ".", highlight and edit the folder name by deleting the offending dot. Personally, I find iPhoto, like so many native Apple apps since the move to Unix base, to be bloated and cumbersome. I use it for web/email images as part of my stock images for sampling, collage etc, so my iPhoto Library is only 16MB. iPhoto.app alone weighs in at 159.7MB for Pete's sake! By comparison, the highly rated iView MediaPro app is 16.4MB. It leaves your media where you want them and you create and store catalogues containing thumbs, comments, sets, meta data etc. Everything can be stored to CD or DVD. It's pricey for the hobbyist, but to get the latest iPhoto you have to buy iLife, for what, a hundred bucks before tax? Get a demo of iView here: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/5534 :D