: iBook Modem problems with Telus ISP

macguy.nielsen
Aug 9th, 2005, 01:31 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem with Telus. Lately it takes me close to 30 minutes of continuous reconnected and failed connection problems to finally connect. This is the only problem I have ever had with this iBook. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear em.

Vexel
Aug 9th, 2005, 02:50 AM
I doubt that it's even the iBook. It's probably the Telus servers being busy. I have never tried my modem.. so I guess I couldn't even venture at a guess if that's not the problem. Give Telus a call, make sure everythings running properly on their end first.

macguy.nielsen
Aug 9th, 2005, 03:37 AM
I have phoned telus and checked out some problems, although they basically said that their side is fine, which I find a bunch of crap. It gets a little frustrating with a company that says they work with Apple computers and they only work about 15% of the time. Oh well.

mguertin
Aug 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
what protocol are you using to connect? Just curious, wondering if it's something between your modem trying to connect at say v.92 and their stuff maybe only supporting v.90 ?

macguy.nielsen
Aug 9th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Well I know that it is on v.92 and I have tried on v.90 and it still does the same thing :| I guess I'll just have to suffer for now, meh!

Jordan
Aug 9th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Because Telus employees were locked out (on strike) getting through on the phone or internet dial-up will be more difficult. I'm not sure why but that's what Telus said when the strike first happened.

mguertin
Aug 10th, 2005, 10:31 AM
what exactly happens when you try and connect? Does it try to negotiate and drop? Does it just not get answered? Does it fail during authentication?

macguy.nielsen
Aug 11th, 2005, 12:45 AM
What happens is there will be an error which can be different between each error. I have changed the v.92 to v.90 and still no success so I went to v.36 which then it finally worked. Which is rather sad in my opinion but whatever. Thats what I get for coming home for the summer and only being about to have dial up *sigh*

mguertin
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:46 AM
If you feel really adventurous you can play with your modem INIT strings. It sounds a bit like you are on a noisy phone line or picking up other potential interference ... if your modem adhere's to the rockwell standard stuff, I think you can add %E1%G1 to your init string. That will tell the modem to both accept and request retrains when it encounters noise or a potential dropout. The modem might just trying to negotiate at a higher speed than the phone line can handle due to external noises, static, hiss, etc. Dropping to the lower speed solves this as it doesn't even try to negotiate at the higher speeds.

You'll have to find it to hack it, I'm not the best source of info on that one as I haven't done this in a LONG time, and haven't had to do this on OSX ever.

mguertin
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I also like to add W2 to init strings so it always returns your actual negotiated connect speed and not just the maximum potential speed, never understood why they did things like that. I had a lot of clients before that were saying "hey! I'm connected at 112,000!" hehe

macguy.nielsen
Aug 15th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure how to get into the "INIT Strings". Could someone tell me how to do this? Thanks!

ArthurDent
Aug 16th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Telus is a crap ISP. They have chosen to block anyone using their service from accessing certain web sites, including the site of their own workers union and have admitted to doing so.

This is unacceptable; the only way to hit them where it hurts is to not buy their services.

If it is your phone lines that are the problem, there's nothing you can do about it. (short of moving) Messing with INIT strings and stuff isn't easily done in OS X and isn't recommended as a fix.

I would contact teksavvy.com (DSL) and Rogers to find out if they offer service in your area.

Rogers is a great choice, they'll let you order any of their Internet packages without having to pay for cable TV, and there's no worry about your phone lines being crap, since the cable carries the signal.

macguy.nielsen
Aug 18th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Telus is a crap ISP. They have chosen to block anyone using their service from accessing certain web sites, including the site of their own workers union and have admitted to doing so.

This is unacceptable; the only way to hit them where it hurts is to not buy their services.

If it is your phone lines that are the problem, there's nothing you can do about it. (short of moving) Messing with INIT strings and stuff isn't easily done in OS X and isn't recommended as a fix.

I would contact teksavvy.com (DSL) and Rogers to find out if they offer service in your area.

Rogers is a great choice, they'll let you order any of their Internet packages without having to pay for cable TV, and there's no worry about your phone lines being crap, since the cable carries the signal.

DSL/Cable is not available where I live. So that won't help. It's not that big a deal, I'm just home for the summer, was just wondering if there is a way to fix it but obviously not so I'll just deal with it for now.

mguertin
Aug 18th, 2005, 11:19 AM
The fix I suggested will probably help you out quite a bit if we can figure out how to hack the init strings. I used the exact same fixes when I was in a rural area and the phone lines were not great (I lived there for over a year) and with those additions my service turned from iffy at best to mostly reliable. The problem is that the modem setups these days just try and immediately negotiate at the highest speed possible and don't do retrains for phone noise ... if I find the init strings I'll let you know how to do this.

mguertin
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:20 PM
This might help you to find things:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20011105202457658

If the simple init they suggest there doesn't work, you should try also adding what I mentioned. It also states that the init scripts for the modem are in /Library/Modem Scripts/

just find the one that matches your modem and use a text editor to modify them (and make a safe copy!!)

MacDoc
Aug 19th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry I missed this - you need to turn off error correction.