: Which one to get? iMac vs. iBook

fazer
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Hello all!

I will soon be attending University and will be living residence. I am in the Arts faculty. My current dilemma is comparing the 14" iBook with the 17" iMac. Currently, I have an old crippled Thinkpad (needs an external mouse, loose LCD screen and battery doesn't lasts around 5 minutes) and was thinking of replacing it with an iBook now that they were very recently updated.

However, since I want to save as much money as I possibly can, none of the two systems above will have a superdrive. The total comes up to $1400 CDN for the iBook and $1475 for the iMac.

What do you guys think would be a good wise decision? Getting the 17" iMac and keeping my thinkpad arround if I need it or replace my Thinkpad with a 14" iBook?

Input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Grunt
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I would go for the iBook for these reasons:

1) The Thinkpad, despite being old and worn-out, still has a chance of being sellable. (There are people out there that will buy older computers like this.) The money from the sale would offset the cost a little bit.
2) You'll have the advantage of having a mobile computer (it would be hard to go back, as you've indicated you've used a laptop previously).

Commodus
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:15 PM
The short answer is a question: "how often do you expect to travel with the Mac?"

If you'd really like to have a laptop to bring to classes, the library, coffee shops, and so on, then the iBook is probably the best bet. If you still expect to do almost everything in your dorm room, get the iMac. The iMac is still light enough that you can haul it back home when you're done with class for the year (though you'll want to either keep all the original packing material or get a case like the iLugger (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/LTA%20Projects/851236001091/)).

The laptop is my choice for writing work. I can bring it into class and type notes, for example. But if by Arts you mean visual arts, you might want to consider the iMac for the sake of performance.

Grunt
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Did I mention that you should be considering the 12" iBook, as well? It's a steal, especially given its recent upgrades :D

J-Money
Aug 8th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Also, replacing the thinkpad with an ibook will keep all your files on one computer. No need to go back and forth between the two, looking for files and such.

corinthian
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I use an new iBook at work, and a new iMac at home. Both systems are less than 2 months old, both have maxed out ram.

Get the iMac. Its SO MUCH FASTER. and the screen is SO MUCH BETTER. I almost got the iBook for myself (for portability's sake) but I'm so glad i went with the iMac.

Also you can stick in 1 gig sticks of ram into the iMac for 130 bucks. Extra ram for the iBook is $$$.

fazer
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I don't know if I will be travelling a lot. If I go with the iMac, I can also keep the Thinkpad around. Perhaps get a new battery and get some more RAM to keep it bouncing along.

Commodus, I am not so sure how often I will be travelling. I guess I should ask people who are in the same program as I am in to see which they would preferr.

Sometimes I wish I could just get both. Bah.

The 12" iBook seems a little small to be some sort of a desktop replacement don't you think?

Grunt
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I have a 12" PowerBook, and I don't notice how small it is when I'm immersed in using it. I do, however, notice how small it is when I'm carrying it around. :D The 12" iBook is a tad bulkier than the PowerBook is, but the effect should be much the same. :)

tikibangout
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I got the 12" iBook because I wanted an Apple. Although now it pretty much has replaced my PC desktop. The only thing I use my PC for now is gaming. So unless you'll be gaming a lot, I suggest an iBook or Powerbook. You could say 12" is too small, but its so convenient. Plus if you go 12" over 14", you'll save money that you could use to max the little thing out. I have 768MB RAM and 60GB HDD and its perfect.

jdurston
Aug 9th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Get the 12" iBook and a cheap 19" CRT refurbished or used. I got a viewsonic for $50 to go with my 12". The screen is great at home, and 12" is all you need while in class or on the road.

macguy.nielsen
Aug 9th, 2005, 02:00 AM
The 12" iBook is great for all around work. I have a 12" iBook for my school and I take it to class with Microsoft Office on it and take notes with it. With the price of the iBook you could save a up for getting the iMac later on (Which is what I am doing at the moment). One thing with hooking the iBook into a monitor is that it is only mirrored and not streched across both screens. You can get software that lets you stretch it but there are stories of it screwing up the graphic chip and since you were using 3rd party software to "hack" it, it was not covered under warranty.

Vexel
Aug 9th, 2005, 03:46 AM
The 12" iBook is great for all around work. I have a 12" iBook for my school and I take it to class with Microsoft Office on it and take notes with it. With the price of the iBook you could save a up for getting the iMac later on (Which is what I am doing at the moment). One thing with hooking the iBook into a monitor is that it is only mirrored and not streched across both screens. You can get software that lets you stretch it but there are stories of it screwing up the graphic chip and since you were using 3rd party software to "hack" it, it was not covered under warranty.

The video card is quite capable of spanning multiple monitors. Apple only cripples it so that there is a bigger gap between the iBooks and Powerbooks. The hack is a simple Open Firmware hack. It can be reversed, easily. Therefore, no voiding of your warranty. It also isn't likely that Apple would even check to see if you were running the hack.

DoNotPokeTheScreen
Aug 9th, 2005, 03:59 AM
The video card is quite capable of spanning multiple monitors. Apple only cripples it so that there is a bigger gap between the iBooks and Powerbooks. The hack is a simple Open Firmware hack. It can be reversed, easily. Therefore, no voiding of your warranty. It also isn't likely that Apple would even check to see if you were running the hack.

Very interesting! You think you could show us a link for that program? Or perhaps the name for that program so i could look for it?
Thanks

Vexel
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:05 AM
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

macguy.nielsen
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Well I do agree that they cripple the card, it is good to realize that you are messing with the default software that Apple has put in place. Use the software by all means, but its just something to remember.

fazer
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Hmm, darn it. I think I will most porbably be going with the iBook I guess. I will have to do something about my Thinkpad.

Thanks for all your input guys!

jdurston
Aug 9th, 2005, 12:26 PM

I ran the hack the whole time I had my iBook no probs. The hack utility makes it very easy to apply and REVERSE. Not that you would ever need to. Spanning is totally within the range of the graphics chipset. 1600x1200 pixels is nice.

fazer
Aug 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I ran the hack the whole time I had my iBook no probs. The hack utility makes it very easy to apply and REVERSE. Not that you would ever need to. Spanning is totally within the range of the graphics chipset. 1600x1200 pixels is nice.
So, you were able to run that resolution on your iBook's LCD? And which iBook is it?

macguy.nielsen
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:13 PM

I did not say that it caused problems on constant state, my post is more for general info so that people know you are messing with default hardware and it can cause issues with your graphics chip. Just giving a heads up, but if you want to take the chance go for it.

mr.steevo
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Hi,

I have the 12" iBook as my only computer and it is fine for writing papers, surfing the net, doing stuff, etc.
However, the iMac is a way better computer that will last you longer. Unless you really, really need to take your computer everywhere you go, stick with the iMac. I would have bought the iMac instead of the iBook but when I absolutely needed a computer the iMacs weren't for sale (remember that stretch when the lamp iMac was discontinued but the new iMac had not been released?)

Dont get me wrong, laptops are cool and my 'book does what I need it to do for now, but the iMac is a far superior computer to the iBook in every way other than portability (though Apple can help you out in that department http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86816 ).

s.

Vexel
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:42 PM
No.. you can still only run 1024x768 on your ibooks LCD display. It's the External display you are connecting which will allow for higher resolutions. I run my external at 1280x1024 which is extended from my internal display. (This means you can drag windows and apps from one screen to another.)

jdurston
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:50 PM
So, you were able to run that resolution on your iBook's LCD? And which iBook is it?

That was on my external CRT with spanning enabled. I wish the iBook could support higher resolutions :D

fazer
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Hmm, I guess that makes sense.
Oh and I was wondering. How long does it take you guys to boot up your iBooks?

fazer
Aug 10th, 2005, 03:29 PM
No matter how hard I try, I can't resist the tempatation of the iMac G5.

CN
Aug 10th, 2005, 05:00 PM
My iBook took maybe 7-10 seconds...pretty fast really.

The iMac G5 is hard to resist...its a nice looking design.

fazer
Aug 10th, 2005, 10:42 PM
My iBook took maybe 7-10 seconds...pretty fast really.

The iMac G5 is hard to resist...its a nice looking design.
Wow, that's not bad at all. That 6 hour battery life sounds kick-ass. Do BestBuy still stock iBooks and iMacs for display?

I would actually really love to get the iMac but the problem is with transportation. Since I will be living on residence will have to move frequently perhaps back home or some place else. I am not even sure if I could even return home since I might not longer have my room.

DBerG
Aug 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Do what I did. Order the iBook!

CN
Aug 10th, 2005, 11:49 PM
You might not actually get the 6 hour battery life, but I got almost 5 on a regular basis...pretty amazing :D (12" iBook). All the BestBuys I have been to have had a display of Macs...with iBooks and iMacs of course. Compusmart as well. Definitely take advantage of the student union (if you can) as it really is a great deal.

mr.steevo
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:15 AM
Hi,

Get the iMac G5.

s.

Myradon
Aug 11th, 2005, 02:24 AM
I'd also recoment the Ibook. Something I was not able to appreciate until I recieved my Ibook was how nice it is to store a computer on a shelf or ina drawer. It makes the room feel a lot les cluttered. Also the scren is very confortable to work on. I have a keyboard and mouse I use when I'm at a desk or table. Honestly I think portables are ideal unless you need to compress, compile or otherwise do hi end stuff.

fazer
Aug 12th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Also to mention that I got an email saying that I get $40 off when I purchase online!