: Buying BTO macs

nxnw
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Is there a way to buy an iBook with a BTO upgrade (i.e. Hard Drive), other than from the online Apple Store? Do any dealers sell BTO?

simon
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Ask ... I know some will and some won't. I always buy my macs with minimum memory and upgrade it myself or have the dealer do it ... Apple is always way out to lunch when it comes to memory pricing, as for HDD's I have always done that myself.

capitalK
Aug 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM
<A HREF="http://www.carbonation.com">Carbon Computing</A> absolutely does. We require a full deposit and BTO orders usually take 1-3 weeks to come in. Apple usually quotes 3-5 days, but that is the date that it will ship from Apple and doesn't include travel time. Because they ship from California the orders can sometimes get stuck at the border, which is why I always quote the 1-3 weeks. You can pay a little extra for FedEx (just like you can from Apple's site).

elmer
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM
How does that work? Do you get the BTO from Apple and resell it, or get stock and BTO them yourself, or get machines with no hard drive and add it? Curious

capitalK
Aug 8th, 2005, 11:14 AM
The gentleman who does our Apple purchasing orders it straight from Apple. The webpage he uses to order it is almost exactly the same as the Apple store site BTO pages. Apple does the upgrades in the factory and sends it off to us. We recieve a sealed unit that we resell to the customer (the same as any other Apple shipment).

dona83
Aug 8th, 2005, 02:52 PM
With most systems adding components yourself is fine. If you get the iBook there's like a million tiny screws you have to go through and it's just plain easier to let the experts do it. That's my two cents...

J-Money
Aug 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM
<A HREF="http://www.carbonation.com">Carbon Computing</A> absolutely does. We require a full deposit and BTO orders usually take 1-3 weeks to come in. Apple usually quotes 3-5 days, but that is the date that it will ship from Apple and doesn't include travel time. Because they ship from California the orders can sometimes get stuck at the border, which is why I always quote the 1-3 weeks. You can pay a little extra for FedEx (just like you can from Apple's site).

So, if i order my iBook tomorrow morning, with a 60gb upgrade, when would I actually expect it? I thought the "1-2 business days" means that if I ordered tomorrow, I would get my ibook latest friday of this week. If that's not the case, I don't mind paying a bit extra (depends how much though), because I'm going out of town very soon, and I wouldn't want them to deliver my ibook when I'm not even home for a week... :(

I'll be ordering by phone BTW.

capitalK
Aug 8th, 2005, 03:25 PM
1-2 business days is the date it SHIPS from Apple, not when you will get it.

Kosh
Aug 8th, 2005, 03:35 PM
You'd never receive an iBook in 1-2 days. I had a "discussion" with Apple over my delivery of my G5 Power Mac. Apple had expedited shipping which I paid for expecting my machine in 2-3 business days (it said 1-2 days but I was pessimistic). Turns out that's only likely if you live in the states - I can't remember exactly but after 10 minutes I think they explained to me that it would take 4-5 business days to Canada. Not sure how 1-2 business days turns into 4-5? And that's after a delay in Apple building it!

dona83
Aug 8th, 2005, 03:35 PM
My BTO iBook came in 12 days when it said 3-5 days to ship, 3-8 days to deliver.

J-Money
Aug 8th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Not too bad. As long as it's earlier than 2 weeks. I'd like my iBook before I go camping... which reminds me... *new thread*

dona83
Aug 8th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Oh yah keep in mind that 3-5 business days and 3-8 business days, so 6-13 business days. Mine came in 12 regular days, 8 business days, so pretty good.

nxnw
Aug 9th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess the bigger question was, is there a way to get a BTO mac from a dealer without waiting a couple of weeks. I guess we're at the mercy of the mother ship.

capitalK
Aug 9th, 2005, 10:35 AM
When we order, for instance, 12 eMacs at $999 a pop and a week later Apple announces new eMacs and the price drops on the 12 we ordered Apple gives us "price protection" on our existing stock. What this means is if the price on those original 12 eMacs goes down $100 Apple will give us a $1200 credit so we don't lose any money.

Unfortunately Apple does not offer price protection on BTO orders. That is why most dealers (if not all dealers) rarely bring in BTO orders into stock.

Hope that answers your question.